PAGE TOP

BACK

HOME

PAGE BOTTOM

The new “Full Color Comics” for the Dragon Ball manga are set to hit Japan next week, and it turns out that North America is not far behind! Revealed in this week’s North American edition of Weekly Shonen Jump is the great news that the series will pick up in the next issue — hitting 04 February 2013, day-and-date with the print edition in Japan — for us fans across the ocean.

us_wsj_color_manga

Single-volume weekly issues of Viz’s Weekly Shonen Jump are available for $0.99 a pop, while a yearly subscription is also available for $25.99. Purchases have recently shifted to download-to-own, meaning that — as long as Viz exists and the service is provided — you can continue to enjoy and read your purchases, even if you let a subscription lapse.

In Japan, the first three volumes for the Saiyan Arc of the “Full Color Comics” hit store shelves 04 February 2013. While these particular volumes will be released print-only, Shueisha has announced potential plans to go back and do the first (non-”Z”, if you will) portion of the series as digital-only while they continue onward to the Freeza, Cell, and Majin Buu arcs in print.

Thanks to TheDevilsCorpse for the heads-up!

Comments
  1. Avatar image
    desirecampbell

Urg, ” Dragon Ballin’ “.

Still, a very interesting development. I’d never have guessed that we’d see these state-side before the run had finished in Japan, let alone same day release.

28 January 20132:00 PM EDT
  2. Avatar image
    ea575

$26*
    I was so excited when I read this, since I’ve read something similar here as well :lol:

28 January 20132:12 PM EDT
  3. Avatar image
    sangofe

Awesome. I hope they’ll redo Viz’s translation, too.

28 January 20132:19 PM EDT
  4. Avatar image
    dragonfist

One can hope but highly doubtful sangofe. :|

28 January 20132:25 PM EDT
  5. Avatar image
    magicbox

I noticed that they left the sound effects unedited in the “Kintoki” one-shot. Perhaps since this is the newly-colored version, Viz might not bother re-editing the sound effects and leave the DBZ artwork as-is?

Sure, it’s a long shot, but that alone would be an improvement.

28 January 20134:46 PM EDT
  6. Avatar image
    jrdemr

These are undoubtfully excellent news! Then that means they’ll also publish them in tankoubon format later! At least I’ve never heard of any ongoing series getting onto Shounen Jump and not making it onto a tankoubon format later… looking forward to it!!

Sure hope they take the opportunity to publish it entirely uncensored and to scrap the name changes. Altough I may unfortunately have to agree with dragonfist… one can hope, but it’s very unlikely.

28 January 20134:48 PM EDT
  7. Avatar image
    AgitoZ

@magicbox

They don’t edit artwork in any of the series in WSJ. When they eventually get to volume releases, they are most certainly edited. If they ever do a full volume release I assume it won’t be any different.

28 January 20135:18 PM EDT
  8. Avatar image
    dragondyle

This is awesome! Because of Toriyama’s one shot in this issue and the next issues are the DBZ colored manga chapters, I’m subscribed!

30 January 20138:07 PM EDT