Remember when we could greet newcomers?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:24 am

Well, if all we're going to do is type nonsense, then maybe I will lock the thread... :?

Anything helpful/constructive/informative to add...?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:21 am

NeptuneKai wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote: He ain't no girl, sir.
Who says I'm not eh TORIBOT!? :wink:
Because you're bisexual! There's no such thing as bisexual women, it's just a bluff (TRAP) used by women to make us men stay on our metaphorical leash (sometimes literal)..

Anyway, Chibi_Goten brought up a great point! If we'd all agree to cut the bullshit, I think it'd be really nice to bring the comments back, I'm sure the whole "No response" thing really puts newcomers off. Besides, if we can't comment, why would we even wanna check the "Introductions" section in the first place, without comments, it's completetly redundant.
I doubt at this point in time Mike'll change his mind, but it'd be great to bring it back.. but like I said, we'd need to completely cut the bullshit. Perhaps put a disclaimer on there on something, or make a new rule when enterting message boards.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:24 am

Rory wrote:

Because you're bisexual! There's no such thing as bisexual women, it's just a bluff (TRAP) used by women to make us men stay on our metaphorical leash (sometimes literal)..
You discovered our secret. Blast, I guess we have to come up with a new plan next time the universal bisexual woman con roles around.

Erm, yes I think if we reinforce the regular no "LOLSORANDUM" rule then the intro forum wouldn't be so bad.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:25 am

VegettoEX wrote:Well, if all we're going to do is type nonsense, then maybe I will lock the thread... :?

Really? Come on. It's no fun to just be "serious business" all the damn time.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:26 am

Saiyavenger2941 wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Well, if all we're going to do is type nonsense, then maybe I will lock the thread... :?

Well I mean I can understand, this is Daizex...for Dragonball discussion not /b/.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:30 am

NeptuneKai wrote:
Saiyavenger2941 wrote:

Well I mean I can understand, this is Daizex...for Dragonball discussion not /b/.
Don't you dare compare me to those goddamn 4channers. I'm better than them.

But, back on point, I'm not online to be a stick in the mud. I'm here to have fun, and believe me, being all business and robotic all the damn time is NOT fun.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:31 am

Saiyavenger2941 wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
Saiyavenger2941 wrote: Really? Come on. It's no fun to just be "serious business" all the damn time.
Don't you dare compare me to those goddamn 4channers. I'm better than them.

But, back on point, I'm not online to be a stick in the mud. I'm here to have fun, and believe me, being all business and robotic all the damn time is NOT fun.
Because Dragonball discussion is serious business.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:33 am

Guys, you're gonna get my damn thread locked, will ya cut it out? :x

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:34 am

Rory wrote:Guys, you're gonna get my damn thread locked, will ya cut it out? :x
Let it get locked. It's already been decided anyway.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:35 am

Big Boss wrote:
Rory wrote:Guys, you're gonna get my damn thread locked, will ya cut it out? :x
Let it get locked. It's already been decided anyway.
Exactly, it's not like Mr.EX is thinking long and hard over this matter.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:50 am

NeptuneKai wrote:Exactly, it's not like Mr.EX is thinking long and hard over this matter.
Now that's not true. I consider any and all input anyone cares to put in.

I'm certainly not going to take you seriously, though, if all you contribute is nonsense.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Well looking at how this thread's turned out, who could blame you Mike for not wanting to unlock the introductions. If you did open it again I think it would gather more interest on the forum from the new members, and odds are we'll have to go through the same old topics of,

''What's your favorite filler?'' / ''Who's your favorite villain?' ''GOKU VS SUPERMAN!''.

Though it would be nice to see some new people and learn about them, as well as their thoughts on the series, as oppose to just learning a little about them on their specific views restricted by the topics. It will also let them get to know the current members a little, instead of just posting their opinions against others and perhaps getting put off a little when people get defensive.

I was listening to the first Christmas special of the Podcast before, where Mike, Meri & Julian were discussing their embarrassing Dragonball ''home truths'', it'd be nice to see such things put into the Intro thread, maybe as a ''sticky'', just so members can have a little more of a relaxed social theme to their fandom.

Heck, if it get's out of hand you can just remove the section altogether, but maybe reinventing wouldn't be a bad idea?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:15 pm

Mike's current settings for said forum make sense. Discussion would move away from Dragon Ball toward personal discussion and if we needed to know their personal preferences for the series, we would likely eventually learn such in actual discussion threads.

Unless Mike wants to reply to each new thread specifically telling them not to worry why they aren't getting any replies. But...not my decision...
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:03 am

In retrospect, clearly it was a good idea to shut the Introduction forums down.
As far as I see, many people have still joined the forums and stayed.
Although some of the discussion in other forum parts have lost a bit of their quality, I can safely say that to lash out all the crazyness at newbies isn't a good idea.

Should the introductionpage be reopened, rules should apply in a sticky, and throwing around too many random stuff that have nothing to do with introduction should result in a warning.
But that would require lots of work for the mods, and would only be possible if someone was recruited for the job, like with what is done with the newly recruited grammar-checkers.
But then this would lead to the question: who is best suited for the job?

As far as I see, it may not be good for newbies to not recieve a greeting in the Introduction forums, but rest assured, they always get greeted on the main boards by the members here.
So the Introduction forum doesn't have a function anymore, really, as far as I see.

Aikachi

Post by Aikachi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:17 am

Speaking as a newbie, I would not have minded a greeting in the introduction forum, it would have been a good way to get my feet wet, so to speak. Truthfully I felt a little intimidated when I first joined, the seriousness of the discussions, and everyone being more knowledgeable than myself, it was difficult looking for a topic that I could actually reply to and still feel like I was contributing something, aside from 'durr hurr hurr I agree with that that guy said'.

In all honesty it will still probably take a while for me to fully emerge from my shell and make more assertive posts, at least until it actually feels like someone has noticed that I'm here, and maybe I do have something interesting to say.

I can fully understand why you have forbidden replies in that forum, and it's fine if it stays the way it is. But if it were reopened, it might cut down on that intimidation factor a bit, and perhaps new members would stay, at least long enough to gather the nerve to post in the actual discussion threads.

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:00 am

Aikachi wrote: In all honesty it will still probably take a while for me to fully emerge from my shell and make more assertive posts, at least until it actually feels like someone has noticed that I'm here, and maybe I do have something interesting to say.
Hi, my name's Scott, welcome to the forum! I fully understand where you're coming from, but try not to feel intimidated and just post and get your two cents in. You're more then welcome to an opinion just like everybody else, and even if you're just in agreement with someone else, don't feel shy to add to their posts. Even if it's just to strengthen people's opinions and tell others that you agree! :)

It's good to see the perception of someone just joining the boards, and for their first opinion to be shared.
- Scott

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:35 am

To be honest, this forum DOES seem intimidating when you first join. I felt the same way.

But it's really not bad at all. No one will insult you for getting things right or give you a hard time. Basically, as long as you follow the rules you'll have no trouble at all.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Aikachi

Post by Aikachi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:55 am

Thank you both :) I've been hanging out here long enough to see that you're all a fine assortment of people, given time, I can see myself getting quite cozy here. Until then, I'll just focus on not being too much of a n00b :P

One suggestion, should the introduction board be reopened, would be to perhaps appoint a specially designated 'welcome wagon' crew of some sort. That might be a satisfying middle ground, but probably still too much work to moderate.

Kibosuru412
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kibosuru412 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Hi. I'm new here and I really don't know my way around here so I don't even know where to look for help. Are emails from hotmail and gmails banned from registration?
DBZ card collector since 1992 and Saint Seiya Myth figure collector since 2003
My Deviant Art | My Dragonball Cards YouTube | My Website

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Kibosuru412 wrote:Hi. I'm new here and I really don't know my way around here so I don't even know where to look for help. Are emails from hotmail and gmails banned from registration?
I don't think hotmail is initially allowed for registration due to problems with bots, but I think if you Email VegettoEX, then he'll get you in with a hotmail address. :wink:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog