Remember when we could greet newcomers?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

Remember when we could greet newcomers?

Post by Rory » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:48 pm

I remember signing up to the Daizex board. I got warm welcomes from loads of great guys, Kaboom, Chibi_Goten, and Toribot! It really was a nice way to ease my way into my favourite forum. :D
What happened? How come we can't share the love? I bet all the new guys feel so ronery!
Where's your heart EX?!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:50 pm

It was stopped because stupid shit like "LOL WATCH OUT FOR DA FRANKENBELL AND JOIN ROOM 49 OR 69 ORWHATEVS. LOL" clogged the entire board and VEX didn't want that as newbies' first impressions.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:51 pm

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=6885

That pretty much explains everything.

EDIT: Damn you Rocketman!
­

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Do you ever wonder why new members only post welcomes and never post again?

It's because we don't answer, and they asume the board is dead or we don't give a crap about them :twisted:

But, seriously, I would like to answer, too bad

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:04 pm

You know, now that I think about it, what's the point of the Introductions forum? People usually explain when they got into the series, why they like the series, and some of their other interests, but there's a section in people's profiles for interests, and topics about why we like the series and how we got into the series pop up in general discussion quite a bit. Also, like Rod said, a lot of people post an introduction and never post again. It very well could be that they see that nobody replied and assume nobody cares.

I think it might be a good idea to get rid of the Introductions forum, because right now I don't see a point to them, and they very well could be scaring off newbies who think nobody cares about them. Maybe a stickied thread could be made in General Discussion about how people got into the series and why they continue to like it, where people could actually reply to and discuss that. Maybe even have clicking on the Introduction board redirect you to said topic.
Last edited by Taku128 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
­

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Rocketman wrote:It was stopped because stupid shit like "LOL WATCH OUT FOR DA FRANKENBELL AND JOIN ROOM 49 OR 69 ORWHATEVS. LOL"
Ah, yes, Frankenbell... those were the days.

And it was Room 29 (may in rest in peace). :(
Rory wrote:I remember signing up to the Daizex board. I got warm welcomes from loads of great guys, Kaboom, Chibi_Goten, and Toribot!
Yay! I'm a great guy! :D

Yeah, I kinda really miss the shenanigans of the Introduction section. For me, the shenanigans kinda defined that place. We could all just kick back and have some fun. And scare the newbies.

Now that it's gone, I feel... a gaping hole in my heart. Plus, I fully believe that its demise led to the exile of Steven Perry. That was the dude's home, man. He had nowhere else to go. :cry:

You young'ns, you don't know what you missed. You missed the good ol' times. The times of Steven Perry, Frankenbell, Phil, and, of course, the Great War of the Room 29 Army and the Green Team, the outcome of which brought a close to the Second Age of Daizenshuu EX.

Those were the days, kids.

Those were the days.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:12 pm

The responses in the introduction forum were dumb as shit. It was "LOL SO RANDUM!!!!!11"
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:18 pm

I feel like I have been a member of Daizex since 2004.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:23 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:I feel like I have been a member of Daizex since 2004.
2006, actually.

But I digress. Everybody sign my "Bring Back Introduction Responses" petition, coming soon!
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Yeahhhhh, stuff like this should really be left to EX...
­

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:47 pm

Yeah... I'm sorry, but if the "joking" I've seen derail these forums is any indication of what used to be present in the introduction topics, then I wouldn't want to be welcomed by the members here. In fact, that would have put me off wanting to be an active member here.

If you really want to welcome new members, just send them a friendly PM. It's simple and doesn't clutter up the boards any.

FistOfTheSun
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FistOfTheSun » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:14 am

Tweaker wrote:Yeah... I'm sorry, but if the "joking" I've seen derail these forums is any indication of what used to be present in the introduction topics, then I wouldn't want to be welcomed by the members here. In fact, that would have put me off wanting to be an active member here.

If you really want to welcome new members, just send them a friendly PM. It's simple and doesn't clutter up the boards any.
I agree with that. Besides, Daizex is quite highly regarded among the online DB/Z community, so any person with a any shred of logic would realise that the forums are FAR from dead. I mean, do we really even WANT users who are put off because they didn't receive a welcome wagon and a pat on the back?

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:43 pm

I thought you guys would of tried to hack into the server so you could greet me! Bastards. :evil:

Lpfreak

Post by Lpfreak » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:33 am

I remember first joining. To be quite frank, everyone seemed like a bunch of assholes. Grammar Nazis, Mr. Know-It-Alls, VegettoEX ass-kissers, etc. So I kinda lost track of the forum, and just left it. Though, after awhile, you guys seemed to be nicer and pretty chill. I'm still scared though to post anything on these forums. I'll be massacred for misuse of grammar or incorrect statements. Though Toribot and Neptune Kai were always nice! :mrgreen:

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:29 am

Lpfreak wrote:I remember first joining. To be quite frank, everyone seemed like a bunch of assholes. Grammar Nazis, Mr. Know-It-Alls, VegettoEX ass-kissers, etc. So I kinda lost track of the forum, and just left it. Though, after awhile, you guys seemed to be nicer and pretty chill. I'm still scared though to post anything on these forums. I'll be massacred for misuse of grammar or incorrect statements. Though Toribot and Neptune Kai were always nice! :mrgreen:
Aaaaawwww well shuuuucks, you sure know how to make a girl feel special mistah freak. :)

(I don't think your assumptions were to off. But we're pretty cool asshole grammar nazi know it all EX ass kisers all things considered! ) :wink:

Lpfreak

Post by Lpfreak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:35 am

NeptuneKai wrote:
Lpfreak wrote:I remember first joining. To be quite frank, everyone seemed like a bunch of assholes. Grammar Nazis, Mr. Know-It-Alls, VegettoEX ass-kissers, etc. So I kinda lost track of the forum, and just left it. Though, after awhile, you guys seemed to be nicer and pretty chill. I'm still scared though to post anything on these forums. I'll be massacred for misuse of grammar or incorrect statements. Though Toribot and Neptune Kai were always nice! :mrgreen:
Aaaaawwww well shuuuucks, you sure know how to make a girl feel special mistah freak. :)

(I don't think your assumptions were to off. But we're pretty cool asshole grammar nazi know it all EX ass kisers all things considered! ) :wink:
1. I dig the name "mistah freak".
2. I didn't know you were a girl, which now makes me like you even more, haha :oops: /
3. I stand by my statement :mrgreen:

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:27 am

Rocketman wrote: "LOL WATCH OUT FOR DA FRANKENBELL .
Wasn't Frankenbell Desirecampbell's alter ego or something after he danced out to ''Head Cha La''? If memory serves well, people had good reason to be warned!.. UNICORNS!
The Tori-bot wrote: I fully believe that its demise led to the exile of Steven Perry.
I miss Steven Perry's quick pull together images, and witty remarks, remember that Barduck image he made?

Though back on subject, I think the intro's section was a brilliant way to find out how others got introduced into their fandom, infact, it was the only way. It was a nice way to learn about people, their likes, and their dislikes of the franchise. It may have put some people off with the stupid inside jokes for existing members, and it did get a little out of hand. If it was kept clean though, Dragonball related, and used to introduce members, then it wouldn't have been locked.

Maybe it could be giving a second chance, that's not my call, but i'd see the same thing happening again, though if people could reply, i'm sure it would keep the new members interested in coming back.

Edit

This topic's not Dragonball related really, and although the topic's website related it's already been answered in the introduction thread, like i'm sure everybody knows.
VegettoEX wrote:I've mentioned this in the past, and I've decided to go through with it. As of this posting, introductions will no longer have allowed responses by anyone other than moderators.

I've always disallowed an "off-topic" section due to the way that I've seen such sections evolve into their own during my time online... they became their "own" sections, completely devoid of reasoning and logic from the rest of its main forum, and even tend to create their own lexicon.

That's somewhat what this "Introductions" section has become, and that was never intended to be its purpose. We welcome everyone, and I have no desire to scare off people with the kinds of things I see evolving in this section. It's completely non-representative of the rest of the forum, and that concerns me.

Thanks for understanding.
It's a wonder that this topic's still open. Possibly thinking of giving the intro's another run Mike? :)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:01 am

chibi_goten wrote:It's a wonder that this topic's still open. Possibly thinking of giving the intro's another run Mike? :)
Not at all. There's just no actual reason to lock this topic... therefore, I haven't.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:53 am

Lpfreak wrote: 2. I didn't know you were a girl, which now makes me like you even more, haha :oops:
He ain't no girl, sir.

However...
lpfreak wrote:Though Toribot and Neptune Kai were always nice! :mrgreen:
You at least know how to make a robot feel special, Your Freakiness. ;)

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:05 am

The Tori-bot wrote: He ain't no girl, sir.
Who says I'm not eh TORIBOT!? :wink: