The Basics of "Daizenshuu EX" Grammar

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

The Basics of "Daizenshuu EX" Grammar

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:23 pm

INITIAL NOTE:
You agree to follow the pre-sign-up rules and the following rules by signing up for an account. Those who do not follow the rules are subject to, but not limited to: moderation, deletion, banning, suspension.

INTRODUCTION:
This mostly goes for new members looking to sign up on the board, but I'm sure it'll be a great reminder/helper for those already signed up.

As with any board, when you sign up, you're agreeing to a certain set of rules that are presented to you. If you feel that you are not up to the task of following these rules and the individual(s) who enforce these rules, you have several options.

(1) Don't sign up, don't have an account, don't post, that's it
(2) Find another forum, elsewhere, outside of Daizenshuu EX to post on

If you feel that you CAN follow the rules and become a regular contributing member of our little community, hurray for you! Despite Julian and myself living in the northeastern United States, we have quite a diverse readership and audience, with members located all throughout the world, various continents, countless countries.

Despite this, remember that we are indeed based in the United States and still primarily write to this audience. As silly (and both generic and egotistical) as it sounds, we write and post in proper English, and expect our forum members to also do so to the best of their ability.

It's very obvious and expected that some of our foreign visitors would still love to be a part of our community, but simply just don't know the strange intricacies of our bastard language... so we're here to help! Here's a few rules to keep in mind when posting on the forum. Why do we ask you to follow these rules?

(1) Well written posts are easy to read
(2) It makes you look better
(3) It makes us look better
(4) DBZ fans certainly need every bit of help they can get to look good to the outside world

So let's get on with some helpful hints!

RULES, REGULATIONS, ENGLISH HINTS:

( 1 ) CAPITALIZATION:
All sentences start with a capital letter. The letter "I" (when referring to yourself, as in "I took a walk") is always capitalized. Don't capitalize the first letter in every word (as in, "Don't Type Like This").

( 2 ) PUNCTUATION:
Every sentence ends with some sort of punctuation. If it is a statement, it ends with a period. If it's a question, it ends with a question mark? Got it? If it's an exclamation or important remark, it ends with an exclamation mark. Great!

( 3 ) GENERAL SPELLING
Please spell-check your posts before you make them. If you have to copy-and-paste your post over to something like Microsoft Word before you post it, please do so. Bad spelling does nothing to showcase your intelligence.

( 4 ) SPACING
There is a space between every word. There is a space after every end of a sentence.

( 5 ) POSSESSION
When someone "owns" something, it it called "possessive." I could say, in reference to Julian:

"Julian's Japanese is improving" *OR* "His Japanese is improving"

Note the added 's to the end of the word in the first example. When a person, place, or thing that you've named "owns" or "has" something, you add "'s" (apostrophe-S) to show it (excluding personal pronouns, which have their own possessive forms). The word "it," being a pronoun, already has a pre-packaged possessive form: "its." Note the lack of apostrophe here. This is important for when we get to the "contraction" form further down.

If the word ENDS with an s, already, add the apostrophe to the end, and do not add another s. For example:

"Trunks' sword was lying on the ground."

(This rule is often debatable and frequently broken, but at least try to be consistent.)

( 6 ) CONTRACTIONS
Often, there are contractions between two words in English (contraction meaning that the words are combined and letters are left out). While this is not always done (and it takes an English-speaker's intuition, sometimes, to figure out when it would sound awkward), it is frequent and frequently done wrong. For example:

"Julian's (Julian is) a real stand-up guy." *OR* "I've (I have) made a nice avatar."

The contraction always takes an apostrophe, no exceptions. The contracted form of "it is" is "it's."

In addition, plural words do not get an apostrophe, which is a common mistake. You would not type:

"I have two computer's."

Instead, you would type:

"I have two computers."

( 7 ) PARAGRAPHS
Use the "Enter" key on your keyboard to create new paragraphs. Paragraphs help to keep your posts looking clean, and to separate different ideas. Here's an example:
Paragraph Example wrote:This is my first idea. I'm talking about a single idea in this paragraph, and I talk about it for quite a bit. I talk about this and that, all related to this single thing. It's quite important, and I'm glad that you're reading it. Thank you for sticking with me on this, because I really do feel you'll learn something.

This is a new paragraph in which I'm talking about something entirely different than before, or perhaps a different aspect of the above topic. See how clean the post looks? Things aren't all scrunched together, and it's simply easier on the eyes. We like things that are easy to read! They make everyone look so much more intelligent.
( 8 ) COMMONLY MIS-SPELLED WORDS
Here's a few words to keep in mind:

"there" - As in, "My hat is located over there."
"their" - As in, "I went over to their house."
"they're" - As in, "They're taking a trip to Australia."

"your" - As in, "Where is your coat?"
"you're" - As in, "You're coming with me, today."

CONCLUSION:
Thanks for signing up on the Daizenshuu EX forums! Have fun here and on the main site. These rules are subject to change and alteration at any time, and are to be used in conjunction with the main board rules.
Last edited by VegettoEX on Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Frobman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Frobman » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:53 pm

It's grammer lessons all over again! And I thought I wouldn't learn any more school stuff again.
Fry: Wow. The jungles on Mars look like the jungles on Earth.
Prof. Farnsworth: Jungles? On Earth? ([i]laughs[/i])

Futurama

visit [url]http://uk.geocities.com/amrks@btinternet.com[/url]

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:00 pm

Maybe if you learn to spell ''grammar'' correctly you won't have to, again. Now go to your room and think about what you've done.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Frobman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Frobman » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:43 pm

Dai wrote:Maybe if you learn to spell ''grammar'' correctly you won't have to, again. Now go to your room and think about what you've done.
My bad. Maybe it's the fact that I wasn't paying attention to the word grammar there, and that the teachers never pointed this out to me. Partly their fault too!
Fry: Wow. The jungles on Mars look like the jungles on Earth.
Prof. Farnsworth: Jungles? On Earth? ([i]laughs[/i])

Futurama

visit [url]http://uk.geocities.com/amrks@btinternet.com[/url]

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:44 pm

Actual grammar lessons? That was not what I expected upon entering this topic.

I do have to admit, spellings of "there + your" sounding words was a good idea, but if the subsection is "Commonly misspelled words" maybe a few more could be added. Like, y'know, "grammar".

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:38 pm

DBZ fans certainly need every bit of help they can get to look good to the outside world
It's like My Fair Lady!

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:44 pm

Fantastic little section here; I feel like I'm back in high school english class. :lol: I get the feeling that this thread will be for linking to, when certain kinds of newcomers arrive.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:02 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:I get the feeling that this thread will be for linking to, when certain kinds of newcomers arrive.
Bingo, Bingo!!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:24 am

Hm...I was just thinking, you could have an explination on the proper uses of Italics, Bold, and Underline. Sometimes I'm not always sure myself... :oops:

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:04 am

I'm not sure there is a proper usage. I just use whichever one I think I want (so if there are specific guidelines, I don't consciously follow them). I don't even really use Underline... but if there was a Strikethru option, I'd use it all the time.

Somebody might be able to mod this phpBB for that, though. Not that I really know which guy around here I'd turn to for that. ^^

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:07 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Hm...I was just thinking, you could have an explination on the proper uses of Italics, Bold, and Underline. Sometimes I'm not always sure myself... :oops:
Unofficial Guide:

Italics for moderate emphasis. Example: "Videl isn't exactly another Great Saiyaman, is she?"

Underlining gives more emphasis. Ex.: "For the last time, Broly is not stronger than any form of Buu!"

Bold is the most emphasis. Ex.: "What part of this aren't you getting?! SSj3 Goku is weaker than Mystic Gohan!"

I hope I haven't stepped over some line I wasn't meant to cross here...

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:16 am

Thanks for that Rocketman, and way to slip in subliminal examples while you were at it. :lol:

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:40 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:Thanks for that Rocketman, and way to slip in subliminal examples while you were at it. :lol:
I have no idea what you are talking about.... :wink:

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:46 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:explination
Explanation.

'Tis the season!

IncredibleGuy
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncredibleGuy » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote in his opening post:
Desite this, ...
Uh oh, spelling errors in a post about good grammar, we can't have that.
Signatures are stupid and I wish there was a way to turn them off
edit- neato

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:28 pm

Hah EX, you could give my mom, the college english professor, a run for her money.

Big Hamster

Post by Big Hamster » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:00 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:Fantastic little section here; I feel like I'm back in high school english class. :lol: I get the feeling that this thread will be for linking to, when certain kinds of newcomers arrive.
I hate school but VegettoEX as my teacher he he i like Meri to be my teacher too :P (checking grammar..............................OK)

VegettoEX san i don't wanna go to school :(
Last edited by Big Hamster on Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:04 pm

No, that was not okay. The punctuation was crappy, your sentence structure confusing and there was a lack of capitals.

I'm sorry, but the only way for you to redeem yourself for those mistakes is to sacrifice five goats in my name. It's for the greater good.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Big Hamster

Post by Big Hamster » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:08 pm

Dai wrote:No, that was not okay. The punctuation was crappy, your sentence structure confusing and there was a lack of capitals.

I'm sorry, but the only way for you to redeem yourself for those mistakes is to sacrifice five goats in my name. It's for the greater good.
1.Errrrrrrrrrrrrr i mean the line that i wrote sorry but i left school for a long time and i forgot about school lessions

2.Sacrifices 5 goats? What do you say for: killing 10 ants? :twisted:

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:53 pm

IncredibleGuy wrote:VegettoEX wrote in his opening post:
Desite this, ...
Uh oh, spelling errors in a post about good grammar, we can't have that.
Man...I love you. Let's never fight again.