The Basics of "Daizenshuu EX" Grammar

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IncredibleGuy
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncredibleGuy » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:58 pm

~~grabs Mugen's hand and walks off into the sunset.~~
Signatures are stupid and I wish there was a way to turn them off
edit- neato

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:00 pm

I'm going to ask that any silly responses not be posted. I'd rather keep this thread somewhat serious.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

IncredibleGuy
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncredibleGuy » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:05 pm

So are you going to change that spelling error or not? I've checked three dictionary web sites, and haven't found any entries for "desite".
Signatures are stupid and I wish there was a way to turn them off
edit- neato

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:16 pm

Wow, it's still not fixed? :o

By the way, if I were you VegettoEX (and I'm not), I'd post this as one of those nifty "locked" stickies. It's more of a "rule page" than anything, so it doesn't need to be left open for discussion.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:36 pm

Been thinking about deleting all the posts and doing so, yeah... might do it.

And I keep forgetting to fix the typo... heh... doing so, now.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:34 am

I wouldn't mind you deleting all these useless posts. Don't hold back for our feelings. :)

Desite. A verb, to remove a site from existence. "I must desite kamisami.br or whatever it was called". So it was saying...

"We are based in the United States and still primarily write to this audience. If you don't like it, tough. Desite us. :P"

...I'm not cool.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:48 am

When someone "owns" something, it it called "possessive."

They put that warning because of me. :D .... :) .... :( .... :oops:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:06 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
When someone "owns" something, it it called "possessive."

They put that warning because of me. :D .... :) .... :( .... :oops:
OWNED!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:06 pm

Also, when ending a sentence with an ellipsis (...), it is necessary to put a period afterwards.

ex. He just drifted away....
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:43 am

I realize this is rather late to reply, but I have a suggestion for the original post that I keep forgetting to mention.

Commas. I notice a lot of people don't use them much. Even with ending punctuation, lengthy run-on sentences without commas are things I find pretty difficult to parse.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:00 am

TripleRach wrote:I realize this is rather late to reply, but I have a suggestion for the original post that I keep forgetting to mention.

Commas. I notice a lot of people don't use them much. Even with ending punctuation, lengthy run-on sentences without commas are things I find pretty difficult to parse.
This is true. We should explain when it is appropriate to use a colon (:) or semicolon (;) if one wishes to combine complete sentences; however, there's also the matter of British style being less restrictive about having to use commas between clauses and such than American. So... we'll work on it, eventually.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:05 pm

I was reading topics before I started posting more, and I must say that I was surprised to see how strictly these rules were enforced (I saw so many warnings :lol: ). But it sure as hell is nice to be on a forum that has proper typing. :P

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:32 am

I agree with you fully Leo. Some forums make you want to lose your mind or beat 'em all with a GRAMMAR STICK.

Not only that but if you're expected to write like you have some sense here, then all of this will pay-off when say...ugh...you have to write for a standardized test. It will be like a cakewalk.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:01 am

Leotaku wrote:I was reading topics before I started posting more, and I must say that I was surprised to see how strictly these rules were enforced (I saw so many warnings :lol: ). But it sure as hell is nice to be on a forum that has proper typing. :P
Yes, VegettoEX is a harsh master, but those who obey his edicts can expect a peaceful and enjoyable time in his realm.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:55 pm

Mike D wrote:I agree with you fully Leo. Some forums make you want to lose your mind or beat 'em all with a GRAMMAR STICK.

Not only that but if you're expected to write like you have some sense here, then all of this will pay-off when say...ugh...you have to write for a standardized test. It will be like a cakewalk.
It's not about when it will eventually pay off in real life. This is real life. You go to school for this and not the other way around. EX really isn't that harsh at all: I've made tons of errors from time to time and he's let them slide. Why? Because mistakes happen; it's going out of your way to screw up and not care if you're writing's legible that pisses him off, as well as a lot of other people (including myself).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:26 pm

Couldn't have put it better myself Dayspring.^^
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:40 pm

Ahh...I see the light. I really don't blame him at all. I mean if you can sit there and intentionally butcher your grammar for no reason then I would really do what I could to prevent that stuff.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:57 am

I actually make it a habit to type properly ANYWHERE, not just here. So it's not hard for me to conform to these rules. It just makes it all the nicer and less annoying when EVERYONE types like this. :D

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:56 pm

While I'm no grammar expert, I am an A student in my honors English class and I have a pretty good grasp on proper language. I don't, however, always use correct grammar. But it is very annoying to read posts with horrible grammar, especially if its intentional.
When I joined this forum it wasn't hard to follow the rules on writing, and it's good to keep up proper writing, so your bad grammar habits don't leak into your essays and such. It also makes me look somewhat intelligent, despite my generally meaningless posts. At least I think...
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:50 am

"...and it's good to keep up proper writing, so your bad grammar habits don't leak into your essays and such."
Ha. Yeah. I've seen people actually WRITE like they're talking on an instant messenger. :roll: