Lowercase Names in Comments

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

hleV
Banned

Lowercase Names in Comments

Post by hleV » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 pm

The website does something which lowercases the letters in some of the usernames in the comments. Like, the V in my name is lower case, DBZGTKOSDH's name is completely in lower case, etc.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Lowercase Names in Comments

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Yeah, I wanted to ask about this as well. Some names are written normally in the comments section (e.x. Hujio), while others aren't.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:59 pm

It's because when WordPress imports your account from the forum database, it creates two entries for each account -- a username and a nickname. The username has to be all lowercase in WordPress, but your nickname is imported as it appears on the forum (i.e. with capital letters). When you post a comment it uses whatever you've set as your publicly displayed name, which unfortunately defaults to your lowercase username. You can however change it on the WordPress side, but it will only affect your future comments. I've added a link to it on the main website's "User Panel". However, anything you change will only affect your profile on the main website, and will have no bearing on your forum profile.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:13 am

Hujio wrote:It's because when WordPress imports your account from the forum database, it creates two entries for each account -- a username and a nickname. The username has to be all lowercase in WordPress, but your nickname is imported as it appears on the forum (i.e. with capital letters). When you post a comment it uses whatever you've set as your publicly displayed name, which unfortunately defaults to your lowercase username. You can however change it on the WordPress side, but it will only affect your future comments. I've added a link to it on the main website's "User Panel". However, anything you change will only affect your profile on the main website, and will have no bearing on your forum profile.
I just tried to update my nickname, and it didn't take. No error, but the nickname is still "desirecampbell".

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:47 pm

So maybe I have to do it? I don't have a dummy account to check what it's like for a non-admin user, so I just assumed others could do it. At least other users are supposed to be able to change their own information. Over time I have changed some user's display names, but I stopped keeping track a few months after the site launched.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Just as a note, I was able to do it myself...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)