Kanzenshuu 2013 Informal Donation Appeal

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kanzenshuu 2013 Informal Donation Appeal

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 am

You already know what kind of resource Kanzenshuu is. This particular post is on our forum, and if you're reading these words, chances are you spend a good amount of time here. We're glad you have such a great time hanging out with us.

We merged Daizenshuu EX and Kanzentai back on April 1st, 2012. It's been a crazy year since then. Beyond all of our exhaustive-and-exhausting Battle of Gods coverage (news, interview translations, pictures from the premiere), we've continued the weekly podcast, launched new guides ("Animation Styles Guide", anyone?!), updated old ones, and so on and so forth. It's what we do!

It's getting incredibly expensive to do, though.

Daizenshuu EX, up through the merge in 2012, always ran on static HTML pages. It was leftover insanity from a redesign in 2002 that got a few updates here and there, but was never a technological marvel. Kanzentai ran with some minor PHP work, but was pretty much static content pages, as well.

Kanzenshuu is different. There is a bit of dynamic work behind done behind the scenes, and the entire site runs on an actual content management system. It lets us get our job(s) done easier, and it gives you the organization and presentation that's worth delivering in the first place. You now also have a universal login for the entire site -- it's your login to comment on news stories, it's your login for the forum, and it will be your login for the eventual wiki.

The combination of traffic (which obviously took a jump due to Battle of Gods) and -- most importantly -- CPU resources costs money. There's no getting around it. Starting out the year we were paying double what we were paying a year ago, and now we are paying triple. And it's not enough to abide the occasional database errors and/or slowness. Throw a wiki on top of that? With the amount of traffic we get and the amount of work you're all so clearly ready and eager to throw yourselves into?

Fuggedaboutit.

We don't want to put ads on the website. It looks ridiculous, it looks unprofessional, there's concern over legality of (implied, not actual) "profiting" off someone else's intellectual property, etc. Throw ad service exploits into the mix, and it's not even a question for us. We won't do it.

But that means we need your help more than ever.

We have some generous deals in place, but even after that, right now we are running anywhere between $120-160 a month. We are just scraping by in terms of performance, and like I mentioned, tossing a wiki on top of that? We will need to (finally) switch over to an actual dedicated hosting service like a real grown up website. That's going to push us to $200-250 a month. At least. I'm probably delusional on that, 'cuz it'll likely be way more. We should probably be paying that much now if we wanted the site to run as well as it should.

(We're actually big enough that we might need to explore options BEYOND that, too, but that's definitely not until we launch the wiki.)

Do you like anything of what Kanzenshuu provides? It doesn't matter if it's the larger website as a whole, just the forum, or just the podcast -- these costs cover every aspect of us.

We try not to ask. We don't like to ask. We do need your help, though, especially if you want to see the site continuing to grow. Right now we need to cover a few expenses and upgrade what we can offer -- we don't like the slowness or server reboots any more than you do. We can't really say what amount we "need" right now, other than just hopefully covering our regular monthly expenses -- a more formal fundraiser (Kickstarter-esque or otherwise) may come down the road, likely tied in with the launch of the wiki. That's then, but this is now. If we can get this thing self-sustaining, then all the more power to you and us alike.

--> Like what you see? Any little bit helps. We appreciate it. <--
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Kanzenshuu 2013 Informal Donation Appeal

Post by samuraix123 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:56 am

Pm'd :) I hope things turn out okay! I know it must have been hard posting this.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Fri May 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Oh how can I not donate! It looks like a lot of work was put into typing this up. :)

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Fri May 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Donated! :wave:
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:41 pm

I can't donate anything at the moment, but as soon as I can I'll be glad to help out. This site is most definitely worth supporting.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri May 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Donated, and Tweeted to encourage others to do the same. I've been coming to this site for many, many years, all the way back to when VegettoEX was just a teen ranting about Funimation :lol: It's been amazing to watch the site grow and transform over the years into the greatest English language source of (accurate! fact-checked!) information for this crazy franchise we all love. Both Dragon Ball and the site started as fun little diversions, and both evolved into something even greater than their creators ever could have imagined at the beginning.

Thank you so much for providing this amazing site and community! :clap: Without you, we'd probably all be talking about how Gokuu TOTALLY goes Super Saiyan 5 in the new movie, cuz Toriyama is my uncle and he told me so.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri May 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Donated and I'll probably donate a little more when I get the chance. The Kanzenshuu forum is truly one of my favorite sites and I love the community to pieces (oh right, and the site, I love the site too! :D ) I was more than happy to donate to you guys!

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Sat May 11, 2013 3:16 am

Donated too! Been visiting the site for years and have been a listener of the podcast since #001. Would donate more if I could and will definitely try to donate in the future. Keep up the great work guys!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 11, 2013 4:26 pm

I'd like to make a donation, but for some reason the donate button is just taking me to my default paypal page. Am I doing something wrong?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sat May 11, 2013 4:37 pm

The same thing happened to me, so I instead clicked the PayPal donate button at the top right of the page, where it has the FB, Twitter, and Google+ pages linked. :)

Edit: Or is that the thing that's not working for you?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Nope, that worked! Thanks, man!
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Sat May 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Glad I could help. :)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Well, what a good amount to donate? Id be happy to donate if I knew whats a good amount?

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Mon May 13, 2013 9:19 am

Donated. I don't have much money so the amount is by no means big but that was about all I could afford.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 13, 2013 9:34 am

The generosity is amazing. You're all amazing. Did I mention some of you are amazing?

Not gonna dwell on it or make any more appeal than I already have. Any little amount helps. Tons of people making whatever contribution they can goes an incredibly long way. The plan right now is to pay off what needs to be paid, and create an on-going base to keep paying what we need to pay along with upgrading what we need.

Thank you. Thanks. Thanks so much. THANK YOU.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Mon May 13, 2013 9:21 pm

I absolutely will donate tomorrow. I love this place and appreciate all that is done behind the scenes to keep it up and running. My donation will be in by this time tomorrow! That's a promise!

Edit: Happy to help. :thumbup:
Last edited by dprez on Tue May 14, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue May 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Donated. 8)

Keep the Dragon Ball goodness coming. :mrgreen:
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

SsjRavi

Post by SsjRavi » Wed May 15, 2013 9:56 am

Donated, thanks for the hard work!
"No. A sword is a weapon. Kenjutsu is the art of killing. Whatever pretty words you use to speak of it, this is its true nature. What Miss Kaoru says are the words of one who has never dirtied her hands. An idealistic joke. But, I like Miss Kaoru's idealism better than its true nature. If one can ask so much, I want the world to accept this joke as its true nature."
- Himura Kenshin

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 15, 2013 9:59 am

Just gonna pop in to say thank you again to everyone. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but the international support did actually surprise me a bit. Really proves our point about DB fandom being global!

Every bit continues to help and secures things going forward. So incredibly grateful. I'm so glad you all find (I guess literal) value in what we do, and we're happy to provide it to you!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:30 am

Done. Sorry it took so long, and I wish I could have done more, but money's been pretty tight lately. Glad to help out though. :)
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"