Quality of Discussion on Kanzenshuu Going Downhill?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Quality of Discussion on Kanzenshuu Going Downhill?

Post by Ajay » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:32 pm

The discussion has been pretty awesome lately. A lot of pretty solid topics are popping up with some great responses. There is, however, one thing I keep seeing pop up time and time again that really irks me.
"This."
Not only has that response become a silly internet meme for all the right reasons, it's a completely redundant statement that adds absolutely nothing to a discussion. This site doesn't have 'like' or 'upvote' buttons so perhaps users feel the need to '+1' comments with the aforementioned response. There's nothing wrong with wanting to agree with someone and reinforce their post with praise but please do so with additional thoughts of your own that are more likely to encourage more discussion.

Moderators already do a pretty good job of cutting that nonsense out but it's one of the top 3 rules of the site and it'd be awesome to see that honoured.

I need to work on adhering to rule 4, personally. Being passionate about something can certainly make that hard at times. However, I'm fully aware of my issue there. I'd hope other users can look at what they struggle with and make an effort to improve on it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:56 pm

I honestly don't understand why some people have such a HUGE problem (to the point that they're never quiet about it) with strength debates. It's a story about fighting. "Who's stronger than who?", and by what amount, is what the whole series revolves around.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:14 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:I honestly don't understand why some people have such a HUGE problem (to the point that they're never quiet about it) with strength debates. It's a story about fighting. "Who's stronger than who?", and by what amount, is what the whole series revolves around.
Because it goes off into the realm of absurdity all the time.

Using real world physics and maths to try and calculate some arbitrary level.

"NO!, Vegeta is actually 38712973189237821893721983721"

"YOU'RE SO WRONG!, according to my precise calculation due to this obscure thing that happened once, let me take some strange calculation using real world gravity and come to the conclusion that his level is actually 83213242342309900943242342321."

I genuinely don't get it. Each to their own and all but I can't help but sit and skim through some of the forums and just cringe. Who cares?!

I do write this whilst skimming through the 'How did Bulma survive Vegeta?' thread. Equally as absurd but at least this is funny.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:49 pm

"Τhe sky should be blue!" "No, it's green!" "His face shouldn't be that red!" "It's fine!" "Look they cut the image!" "But now it looks more new!" "Aagh, it's too bright!" "Gah, where is the grain?" "Fuck you, Sabat is the best Vegeta, and JPN Goku sounds gay!" "No my dub is better than yours, weebo!"

Power Levels/Battle Powers & calculations are stupid, but it's not the same as when you search through the statements to figure out who is the strongest. That's really fun for me. It's like a fun game, so I always try to keep things as friendly as possible, even when the other one is acting like a dick. It also helps me relax from real life problems. :)

And as for the "who cares"... nobody cares. It's just fun searching and trying to find out who is stronger.

It's also fun trying to calculate BPs, but I try to keep my BPs in the thread they belong, and never use any numbers in debates.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:08 am

Just think how different things would be if I hadn't created and stickied centralized "character vs character" and "post yer power levels here" threads.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:21 pm

Kaboom wrote:Just think how different things would be if I hadn't created and stickied centralized "character vs character" and "post yer power levels here" threads.
God forbid! All the newbies would start making battle power threads and what not!! :sick:
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:19 pm

Kaboom wrote:Just think how different things would be if I hadn't created and stickied centralized "character vs character" and "post yer power levels here" threads.
Pretty much every In universe topic would be

"Him vs Him"

:lol:

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:33 pm

I guess I just changed my mind about the quality of discussion after someone locked my thread. The message board isn't great anymore, not with the way things are right now. I'm with the peeps-- the "All-Purpose" threads just basically ruin some interesting topics to be made. I can't even enjoy discussing a specified topic without someone interfering with a different proposed scenario. I'm sorry if this is coming off harsh, but something needs to be said-- my feeling on this matter. An administrator can't be slightly flexible, and this frustrates me quite a bit.

When I joined 5 years ago, I probably wouldn't be complaining because the topics were interesting enough. Now? Not so much. I eventually got burned out because we discussed the same thing over and over again. So I created that thread because I thought it was an interesting topic, then there comes a locked thread now. I was very disappointed.

I probably will not change my mind about the quality of discussion for a while. I do hope there will be a day when the message board is fun once again.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:18 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:I guess I just changed my mind about the quality of discussion after someone locked my thread. The message board isn't great anymore, not with the way things are right now. I'm with the peeps-- the "All-Purpose" threads just basically ruins some interesting topics to be made. I can't even enjoyed discussing a specified topic without someone interfere with a different proposed scenario. I'm sorry if this is coming off harsh, but something has to be said-- my feeling on this matter. An administrator can't be slightly flexible, and this frustrates me quite a bit.

When I joined 5 years ago, I probably wouldn't be complaining because the topics were interesting enough. Now? Not so much. I eventually got burned out because we discussed same thing over and over again. So I created that thread because I thought it was an interesting topic, then there comes a locked thread now. I was very disappointed.

I probably will not change my mind about the quality of discussion for a while. I do hope there will be a day when the message board is fun once again.
I'm with you on this one. The thread you created didn't belong to the VS thread IMO, since it wasn't a true VS thread, it was a comparison of Uchiha Madara's feats with the DBZ feats. It would suck to have it blend with the rest of the VS fights in the all-purpose thread.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:02 pm

I've always thought a versus sub-forum would be much more useful. The match ups being separated would be very helpful, especially if you just wanted to browse previous match ups people had thought of. They'd be easier to consult to see how other people see it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:20 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:The discussion has been pretty awesome lately. A lot of pretty solid topics are popping up with some great responses. There is, however, one thing I keep seeing pop up time and time again that really irks me.
"This."
Not only has that response become a silly internet meme for all the right reasons, it's a completely redundant statement that adds absolutely nothing to a discussion. This site doesn't have 'like' or 'upvote' buttons so perhaps users feel the need to '+1' comments with the aforementioned response. There's nothing wrong with wanting to agree with someone and reinforce their post with praise but please do so with additional thoughts of your own that are more likely to encourage more discussion.
Bumping to say that I've seen a lot of this lately (and I'd like to add "this's" little friend "what" to this complaint) and it's getting pretty annoying. Personally, I'd be all for a minimum character limit on posts, but I realize that may be too extreme. I'd also be just fine with a "like" button. I don't see how it would discourage anyone who's already going to post something worthwhile from posting, and it could keep the "this" people from taking up space. Just my two cents.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:13 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Bumping to say that I've seen a lot of this lately (and I'd like to add "this's" little friend "what" to this complaint) and it's getting pretty annoying. Personally, I'd be all for a minimum character limit on posts, but I realize that may be too extreme. I'd also be just fine with a "like" button. I don't see how it would discourage anyone who's already going to post something worthwhile from posting, and it could keep the "this" people from taking up space. Just my two cents.
Or rather a minimum sentence limit, since that would pretty much force people to elaborate on their answers. It's kinda disheartening to see a fellow forum member taking his/her time and writing a post, and they are answered with a post containing one or two sentences (often the post looks like "You are wrong, x is better" without further elaboration).
I'm of the mindset that when debating a member, you should show firstly appreciation of said member's previous post, secondly, some respect. If a member has written an elaborate and lengthy post, it's proper that you construct your response likewise.
Mostly my problem is with members who, except for stating their viewpoint shortly, don't elaborate further about why their viewpoint would be the correct one.
Or the increasingly common attitude: "Keep it short, everyone knows what you are talking about anyways".

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Godo wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: Bumping to say that I've seen a lot of this lately (and I'd like to add "this's" little friend "what" to this complaint) and it's getting pretty annoying. Personally, I'd be all for a minimum character limit on posts, but I realize that may be too extreme. I'd also be just fine with a "like" button. I don't see how it would discourage anyone who's already going to post something worthwhile from posting, and it could keep the "this" people from taking up space. Just my two cents.
Or rather a minimum sentence limit, since that would pretty much force people to elaborate on their answers. It's kinda disheartening to see a fellow forum member taking his/her time and writing a post, and they are answered with a post containing one or two sentences (often the post looks like "You are wrong, x is better" without further elaboration).
I'm of the mindset that when debating a member, you should show firstly appreciation of said member's previous post, secondly, some respect. If a member has written an elaborate and lengthy post, it's proper that you construct your response likewise.
Mostly my problem is with members who, except for stating their viewpoint shortly, don't elaborate further about why their viewpoint would be the correct one.
Or the increasingly common attitude: "Keep it short, everyone knows what you are talking about anyways".
I have to say what I post has gone up over the years concerning length of what I put in. In other words, My post count has decreased but what I put into my posts have gone up substantially. I have made a few threads where I was hoping to get some nice discussions going but I instead got short answers with very little contribution to the actual topic. Many times, the posts would stray off topic where people would start to joke around derailing the discussion completely and ending the thread for good. I tried really hard to keep it going, and did get about 5 or 6 pages worth of discussion. This is not a new phenomenon but I find it is more recurring these days on the forum. It seems we have got a lot more new members and the older members seem to have dropped out of discussion and just lurk once in a while. I'm no exception (not that I am a veteran but I have 4 years on here... where did the time go, eh?).

A limiter on short posts would be great, having people forced to discuss more than just one sentence would be a good idea but it has it's flaws: sometimes, a post needs not more than a few words and forcing someone to fill up their posts could result in filler without substance. Sometimes less is more and sometimes more is necessary. Maybe the mods just need to filter through the threads more, but that is asking for too much.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:07 am

Maybe have a "no one word reaction posts rule?" If you're trying to express an opinion of something someone says, it cannot be done so in one word, you need to supply additional commentary or maybe a link to a thread or article supporting what you want to say. While one word posts in general can get annoying, limiting one word reaction posts can get rid of memes like "wat" and "this."

In terms of the way people are treated on here, it's not so much of a matter of what you say, it's what opinion you are defending. Get sassy while defending a dub or generally unpopular opinion? You're garbage. Become downright vitriolic while defending the golden truth? You're a hero. It's a bullying mentality sure, but also fairly easy to recognize that so as long as you keep your head down and engage in the right type of discussions for this forum, you'll be fine. I think the mods understand that and while this forum is by far the coldest one I've been on, it is one of the least 'ban-happy' ones I've been on, so they obviously give people chances and verbal warnings. I honestly think that should be considered a fair trade.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Smochi wrote:Maybe have a "no one word reaction posts rule?" If you're trying to express an opinion of something someone says, it cannot be done so in one word, you need to supply additional commentary or maybe a link to a thread or article supporting what you want to say. While one word posts in general can get annoying, limiting one word reaction posts can get rid of memes like "wat" and "this."
The Forum Rules wrote:Please think about your contributions before making them; a simple “Yes” or “I agree”, while having a perfectly fine sentiment behind them, do not actually add anything substantial to the on-going conversations. Just like a single word is not an appropriate response, an image in and of itself is not an appropriate response.
I'm not going to implement a technological barrier to the one-word response posts, but rather, like everything else, have it be very clear what the expectations are and use the combination of community self-moderation along with the occasional actual moderation to take care of things.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:41 pm

VegettoEX wrote: I'm not going to implement a technological barrier to the one-word response posts, but rather, like everything else, have it be very clear what the expectations are and use the combination of community self-moderation along with the occasional actual moderation to take care of things.
And what about such situations as a thread asking for a better resolution of picture X? Then there's pretty much nothing to say in response apart from linking the picture in question... Is it also against the rules?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:54 pm

I don't see the problem with that. I would expect someone with the resources to provide said better picture would, by the very virtue of being a member here, likely contribute more than just posting up the image itself.

Lots of what I'm reading here is people looking for problems where there don't necessarily need to be any problems.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:06 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Smochi wrote:Maybe have a "no one word reaction posts rule?" If you're trying to express an opinion of something someone says, it cannot be done so in one word, you need to supply additional commentary or maybe a link to a thread or article supporting what you want to say. While one word posts in general can get annoying, limiting one word reaction posts can get rid of memes like "wat" and "this."
The Forum Rules wrote:Please think about your contributions before making them; a simple “Yes” or “I agree”, while having a perfectly fine sentiment behind them, do not actually add anything substantial to the on-going conversations. Just like a single word is not an appropriate response, an image in and of itself is not an appropriate response.
I'm not going to implement a technological barrier to the one-word response posts, but rather, like everything else, have it be very clear what the expectations are and use the combination of community self-moderation along with the occasional actual moderation to take care of things.

I've read the forum rules many times, and maybe I'm digging too deep into things, but asking people to "please think about" may not necessarily be read as a 'rule.' I'm not saying that I don't like or appreciate the tactfulness with which the rules were written, but eventually someone may have a misconception that it is a request, not a rule that will be enforced. If someone were warned or banned for one word posts, they would have grounds for thinking that the retaliation was arbitrary or personal. The only reason I thought a defined rule would be beneficial is so people will know not to break them regardless of the stance they're taking. I can't imagine how hard it would be to try to balance being firm and nice so I get that running a forum has about a million challenges that I am free of, but I think the major thought here is that as long as you're upholding the opinion of Kanzenshuu, you can skirt rules and be cruel to other people here. I just think if the rules were more concrete there could be better discussion and less hostility.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:31 am

How about adding a "Like" button to individual posts, many forums have it nowadays.
So instead of having a "This" useless post, we just have "X and Y like this post" at the bottom of the post.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:16 am

Granted there are boards and certain topics I never go into, but are one-word comments so rampant they need purging right away?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki