State of the Kanzenshuu: Wiki Status Update

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: State of the Kanzenshuu: Wiki Status Update

Post by Saiga » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:11 am

The preview page looks great! I assume you've taken those icons from the Daizenshuu, and it really works. This has made me a lot eager for the wiki.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:21 am

You're missing Konkichi from the Solo Training arc. Unforgiveable. :P
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Hujio wrote:Thanks, I appreciate it.

I figured I'd pop in real quick with a quick status update. I've been making some good progress lately and things are still on schedule, as far as I can predict (I need to update the checklist in the first post). I have mostly been focusing on setting up the wiki's structure, but that doesn't mean I haven't taken a little time making actual pages. So here's a little preview page to wet your appetite.
Hujio, are you telling me that the greatest filler character in the original Dragon Ball anime (Crocodile with sunglasses) is going to have a page? I... I think I love you, Hujio. :oops:

:P

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Bussani wrote:That preview has only just made it hit me how integrated with the site this is going to look. That's way better looking than just about every other fan-wiki out there!
When I sat down to design the wiki, I wanted something that would be familiar to users, but be incorporated with the wiki software. Essentially so it would function like every other wiki, yet not look like any other wiki. I didn't want it looking super generic, which in my opinion, is what you usually see with most fan-wikis. I feel like you can go to a certain wiki hosting site and see the exact same layout over and over. They, for the most part, look exactly the same, only redone a bit to what specific franchise or series it is covering. There's no individuality, and I didn't want that.
Saiga wrote:I assume you've taken those icons from the Daizenshuu, and it really works.
Actually, all the manga images were taken from the Kanzenban and don't necessarily match up with what were used Daizenshuu 7.
B wrote:You're missing Konkichi from the Solo Training arc. Unforgiveable. :P
Yes, I realize we're missing some characters (and that you're being sarcastic about it), but I picked the most complete page to preview. Don't worry, we'll get to them.
Eddie wrote:Hujio, are you telling me that the greatest filler character in the original Dragon Ball anime (Crocodile with sunglasses) is going to have a page?
I believe so... I'm still trying to peg down how we're gonna handle all that. But more than likely, yes.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:04 pm

Cool. I'm glad to see that you're looking into doing pages for the little things. I've been getting really fond of all of the minutia in the series as I get older. Thanks for all the hard work, man. I'm excited for the official debut. :thumbup:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:17 pm

This means Ultrafish will get its own page too,right?
Right?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Hujio wrote:
Saiga wrote:I assume you've taken those icons from the Daizenshuu, and it really works.
Actually, all the manga images were taken from the Kanzenban and don't necessarily match up with what were used Daizenshuu 7.
Oh no, I was referring to the use of icons themselves rather than the images within, the layout. Sorry for being unclear, but the layout is similar to what is used in Daizenshuu 7 isn't it?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Since the wiki entry that was linked to was only a preview, I assume that it's going to be edited and fine-tuned, but just in case you're not aware, there are a few minor grammatical issues with it. If you need me to say what I think is wrong with it, I can, but as I said, it's just a preview so I don't think it's worth getting into at this stage.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:59 am

So, basically, do you have a specific plan in mind about:
- what's likely going to be available at launch?
- in which order articles are to be added afterwards?

Is it going to be "the most important/iconic elements first" (Son Goku, Kame Hame Ha, etc...) or based on the timeline (articles added in the chronological order of the story or the releases) or based around specific themes that would come first (animals, races, places, main heroes, main villains, etc...).

And just in case you forgot and cause I'm really excited for this when the time comes, I reiterate my will to translate the Kanzenshuu wiki articles into French as an option to viewers, using the exact name and sentences of the original English page, but just adding to the end of each French article an "official French translations" section like:
- Official French name in the manga: Son Goku (previously Son Gokû and Sangoku).
- Official French name in the anime: Son Goku (previously Sangoku).

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Wow! Very cool! I'm excited to see the Wiki coming along. I can't wait to see it launch. :thumbup: Thanks for all your work, Hujio.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:20 pm

Why is it that for the comic, the chapter page has a "Viz" picture option instead of an "English" option? Or going the other way, why is it that for the anime, the episode has an "English" picture option instead of the name of what version it's from? I'm sure it was just a temporary thing and has long since been change, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

Also, I hope we go with something a little better than "Ocean Dub" and "FUNimation Dub"...
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:45 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:Also, I hope we go with something a little better than "Ocean Dub" and "FUNimation Dub"...
Perhaps FUNimation dub with Ocean Cast, FUNimation dub with In-House Cast and Westwood dub with Ocean cast?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:13 am

I think we don't need a bunch of pages ready before you guys launch the wiki. Just one would be enough, with dead links for now (showing that there will be a link on some words or names, but it leads nowhere until the actual page for that name/word is created).

It's only my personal opinion, but I think if you want to have a whole bunch of pages ready before launch, it will make you feel completely overwhelmed by the amount of data to deal with and the amount of articles to fully write before launch, which isn't motivating as it feels like a tremendously heavy load of work, which in turn makes that the project never starts. Instead, I think just one article at a time is enough work and seems more feasible and motivating to launch the much-awaited wiki. Then later a second page, then later a third page.

There has to be a start at some point, but no one said that this start was to be something intense like "at least 20 pages fully finalized from the start and new pages every week!!".
I think just one page is enough to begin with, plus it's not something set in stone that would irreversible, any page can be updated several times in the upcoming months/years to be closer to perfection over time.
You have an army of fans here that will use this thread to help signal any article that needs an information update due to new releases bringing new info (new movies, new prequel mangas, etc...)

And just one page to begin would be good to be able to gather recurrent comments about it. I'd say you shouldn't listen every comment because every fan will be willing to see things their own way, one will want it to be very short, another one will say it should be very long, another one will say it should contain this kind of picture, etc... and there's no way to fully satisfy 100% of the readers' own wishes. BUT it could be good if there's really a very recurrent comment about something to improve that keeps coming back and that you ultimately feel is justified. Much like a game developer, you can't listen to every nitpicky customer, but if a massive amount of complaint/advice keeps coming about a specific serious problem, you can consider it and update later.

Ah, but I'm losing my initial point here. All I wanted to say is that, we're not asking for some massive content to begin with, with a full wiki network of articles accessible from the get-go. A single page that can later be improved and updated if needed and would serve as the template to upcoming pages would be enough for the official debut (I know there was this demo page, but it's not as motivating as the official debut where you can indeed feel like it's on, you've started building the most awesome wiki step by step, little by little, and the Kanzenshuu army will gather to help as the D-Day has come). And then, one page at a time is enough too, each of them being able to be refined later if somehow there was something missing or inaccurate.
Some of Kanzenshuu's guides are already amazingly complete too, and the content written can be ported as-is on their wiki articles, which should save some writing work.

Still up to make faithful French translations of your writings, but I'd like you guys (meaning the "Kanzenshuu staff" launching the wiki) to be very selective about who is authorized to write articles on that wiki: you've always done a great job at being objective and factual, not letting your personal preferences or beliefs regarding Dragon Ball interfere with the content written. But most fans will - often unwillingly - consider as facts what they like to believe, thinking it's obvious. They might write things like "GT is widely considered a non-canon side-story", "It is impossible that Oob can have a chance against Goku given the events of Battle of Gods", and other things that would be written as proven facts but are actually more based on their personal analysis, personal opinion and personal perception of people's reactions than actual proof and actual fact.
So I fully trust the Kanzenshuu staff as they've proven they were able to let opinions aside and focus of the analysis of facts, leaving the readers to make their own conclusions. But I hardly trust members around as they are more used to be like "Made my analysis, found my proofs, drew my conclusions, come on, it's obvious that if I think it's that way, I have good reason to think it's that way, so it IS that way". So I'm counting on the Kanzenshuu staff to be very careful with whom they choose as trust-worthy for the original English articles.

So just to be clear, I'm not saying all that in the sense of "hurry up, damn it!!" like you guys don't have already enough on your plate, with both a life to deal with (which should be the priority) plus everything regarding the main site and the forum!
But it came to me that if I had such a project to undertake, I would easily feel like I have to write a certain number of well-perfected articles before launch, which would feel too much of a burden given the lack of spare time to work on it, which would make the project never starts. But it just doesn't have to be that way, it can be one article every now and then, like you build a wall brick after brick, and no one says the wall has to be up as soon as possible, you can put one brick, and then put on the next brick when you somehow have unused free time one month later.

All in all, this project doesn't have to be a constant massive amount of work load all at once. It can be spread through time as a recurring, one-time activity with minimal work load.
It's been a lot of years since the Kanzenshuu community is around. It will be around for still many years. Once the wiki is started with just one single page, that's when we can all have those many years ahead of us to fully fledge it month after month, year after year.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:21 am

Some of what you're asking has already been addressed in prior discussions.

While being a member of the community will indeed be a requirement for editing access to the wiki, there will also be a small, pre-selected group of individuals allowed to write during the launch period. That's always been the decision.

Also, we can't just launch with "one page"; there are so many pages associated with even just one page of content that it's impossible to do just "one page". Don't worry about the inner-workings of that though. We'll launch with what we're comfortable to launch with in a way that we're ready to allow this first batch of editors to expand from there.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:14 pm

Alright. The pre-selected group seems like a great idea to me, and I understand how despite the fact that it would be convenient to launch the wiki sooner, starting with one page is not a valid option.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:22 am

Wow, it's been a while, hasn't it? :P

I figured now is as good a time as any to jump in and reassure everyone that the project isn't dead. In fact, in the past few days, I've made some great strides. However, I'm sure you're wondering what happened over the past year. Well, to be completely honest, over the past year our server was barely handling the traffic to the main website and the forum. To throw a wiki on top of that was absolutely impossible. It would have killed everything, every day, all year long. And then, to really top it off, a new movie was announced. Based on the site's performance with "Battle of Gods", we really had no choice but to hold off on the wiki. Well, all that excuse nonsense aside, we've massively upgraded the server and now we're ready to rock!

In light of all this, I've updated the initial post of the thread with our current standing. All-in-all, everything is coming together rather nicely. So now we're preparing everything for pre-launch beta users, which means it's almost time for all of you fine folks to put your writing hats on and step into the ring. As we've discussed in this thread already, there will be a select few of you who will initially be granted access to the wiki. Below you'll find the initial criteria (just as a heads up) that we'll be looking for in the very near future.

DO NOT request to be a beta user yet! We will be formally taking requests in a separate thread soon, so anything posted here will simply be ignored.

Initial Wiki Access Criteria
  • No warnings within the last year
  • No temporary bans within the last 2 years
  • Have been a community member for at least one year (requirement can be waived with admin approval)
  • Grammatical proficiency is deemed acceptable by admin
  • At least semi-familiar with wiki markup code
So yeah, I guess this is happening. :D
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:46 am

Very, very excited for this.
I was starting to give up hope.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:12 am

Wow, so many things complete! Really excited to see the progress continue on this.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:23 am

No warnings within the last year
Welp. I lose my temper one time 6 months ago and my chance to help is removed. Damn, that really sucks.

Well, best of luck with getting things up and running. I'm glad all the server issues are ironed out now.

I look forward to the initial launch regardless :thumbup:
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:20 pm

Wow. It's finally happening. I've been waiting for this for almost ever since I've been here, when it was just an idea that probably wouldn't happen. And now it will finally happen! I'm so excited about this!

(I didn't have any warning since last year, did I? Wouldn't I see them in my PMs?).
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.