Website Requests/Suggestions

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tzigi
Regular

Re: Website Requests/Suggestions

Post by Tzigi » Wed May 13, 2015 12:04 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Tzigi wrote:Actually I think that there is a problem with finding one's way on the website - not with the news themselves but with finding relevant info. The cataloguing isn't done in a user-friendly way and that's not only my opinion. Finding a relevant statement in for example one of Toriyama's interviews is easy only when one knows where to look for it in the first place. Otherwise the best option is to use Google and restrict the search to Kanzenshuu. And that's quite definitely a problem that others have as well - 2 out of those 4 times I mentioned going to the website directly concerned exactly helping different people find relevant info here. They couldn't find it, I couldn't either but Google helped. So yeah, that is a real problem but I guess it's quite hard to fix.
OK, but like you said: that's not news, that's content.

If you want to specifically address "Toriyama said such-and-such", here are two types of ways we've tried to alleviate that search burden:

Everything in our "Translations" section is tagged and there is a tag filter on the right. You can specifically search and highlight by, for example, things "Akira Toriyama" said in "V-Jump", or anything about a "Video Game" that was exclusively printed "Online".

And if you don't even know what you're looking for, we try to list all relevant things in all relevant places. The "Battle of Gods" page in our "Movie Guide", for example, lists all relevant quotes from production staff with links to the full interviews they came from. There are pages like "Character Fates" in the "Tidbits" section that collect all related items that come from various interviews over a period of decades.

So yes, the information is overwhelming. You know it, and we know it. By taking a couple of seconds to look at what's there, though, you'll see that we actually have done a ton of that legwork for you.

But yeah, if you don't have any real idea about what you're looking for... no, of course you're not going to be able to find it. The best we can do is organize things logically, and help you stumble upon what you're looking for. There's nothing wrong with digging!
Yes, I moved away from the topic of news there - my idea about customizing the slidedown bar was the last point about it from me.

Right, right, right. But the problem remains - what is a logical organization for one isn't necessarily logical of another. As TheDevilsCorpse the impossibility of further narrowing down things makes it difficult - for example.
And I wasn't referring to a "you don't even know what you're looking for" situation but rather to "I remember having read such and such statement and want to find its source to quote it authoritatively to somebody else". For example such a case concerned about Buu not having been created by Bibidi - I remembered reading it on the forum here and that it was a statement by Toriyama and not by some anime staff. So I enter the website and... where do I look now? "Guides" seem perfect - I need a guide to know how a personage was created in-universe. I browse one guide, then the next - still nothing. So, where next? "General Info" seems acceptable. Maybe "Tidbits"? Since - after all - it is a tidbit on Buu that I'm searching. Fascinating stuff there but not the thing I'm searching for. So, maybe I'll just search the site? Nope. I can search the news or the forum but not the site proper. Let's look further... Maybe "Features"? Maybe there's a feature on Buu? There isn't. By this point I exit the site, enter google, type "site:http://www.kanzenshuu.com buu origin" and lo and behold: the third result is what I was searching for:
It was in the translation section! I wouldn't have even imagined that info stays in "translation" section. "Translation" is for lyrics and such stuff....

That's pretty much my thought process. I didn't find the info by browsing the site, I had no idea where it could be and - to be honest - I consider that user-unfriendly design. As Steve Krug has put it in the title of his book: Don't Make Me Think - and that's a well-thought-out website where one can find all the info without trying to find it.

I know that by now you can probably find everything - but that's like reading one's own essay - one ceases to see the logical mistakes because one knows what's supposed to be inside the text. So, if you know where a piece of information is, then it's only natural that you can find it.

But I also understand that the advent of the wiki will change things. My example with Buu will then look this way: I want to find the info about Bibidi not having created Buu -> I open either Buu's or Bibidi's page -> the story is mentioned and sourced -> the end.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 13, 2015 12:12 pm

Well, the answer there is:

Nope, we haven't written everything yet! We have a bunch of guides that seem to be done and then BAM OH WHOOPS WE'RE MAKING A NEW SERIES LOLOLOLZ YOU THOUGHT YOU HAD IT WRAPPED UP.

So yeah, beyond (1) covering the information in a post when it's first revealed, and then (2) usually at the same time archiving it in the "Translations" section if it's a translation of something, the next logical step is (3) incorporating it into another existing section, or writing a new guide if one doesn't exist.

Yes. You're right. You were looking in the right place, but we're incomplete. We were incomplete when I began in 1998, and we're incomplete right now in 2015! The best/worst part is that we'll always be incomplete :). Until it's fully written about and cross-referenced in each location, we do our absolute goddamn best to at least make it available in the best place we can.

Insert general reminder that this isn't our job and there's four of us ^_~.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:22 pm

Since Kanzenshuu has an Episode Guide and a Home Video Guide, I think it would be appropriate to also have a Chapter Guide on top of the already-existing Manga Guide.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:06 am

I know this might be a bit of a silly request, but I would really like to have a "nodding" emoticon. It could be really useful.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:38 pm

The tags in the Translations archive could use a good organizing. They seem to just be random. It would also be super handy to be able to use multiple (at least two) tags at once. For example, filtering to "Akira Toriyama" and "Battle of Gods".

I don't know if it's an inconsistency but the Akira Toriyama tag, which normally takes precedence in the tagging system, is listed as the second tag for the WIRED Japan 1997 #1 interview and the Akira Toriyama Comments on "Super Dragon Ball Z" section.

Edit: Another idea that just popped into mind would be to have a "Changes sub-guide" that makes note of all the changes made to the manga between its print in WSJ and tankobon formats, and then noting the changes when it moved to kanzenban format. Examples being Gohan saying he was 3 years old instead of 4, Blooma saying "video games" instead of "Famicom games", the correction of the date of the Cell Games, etc.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:41 am

Put Kunzait's massive essay on the history of wuxia as Dragon Ball's genre on the site proper.

(Please please please.)

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:39 am

An "ignore thread" button would be nice.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:05 pm

I think we should have agree and disagree ratings.
Like/dislike would start too much conflict but agree and disagree is more neutral.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:30 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:An "ignore thread" button would be nice.
This or at least some way to drop threads from your 'threads you have posted in' list. Sometimes people just wanna wash their hands of a thread and that's hard when it's right there looking at ya.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:51 am

"Weeaboo" should be changed to "an idiotic and childish insult".
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:54 pm

soppa saia people wrote:"Weeaboo" should be changed to "an idiotic and childish insult".
Haha, I totally second that one. Any time I see that word it makes me want to punch a puppy. :wink:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Recently I started thinking about the first posts in informational (mostly stickied) topics - you know, those like Herms' Guide Guide (Collection of Information Awesomeness), Fact Checker or DB Fan Comic Recommendations. The opening post is used - consistently with a trend seen elsewhere on the internet - as a sort of compendium of all the important stuff. I wish there was some way of making it more readable/marking the changes (updates) better or in any way making it more reader-friendly. I don't have a solution, so that's more a case of "I don't know what I want but it is something better than what we have now". I know that it's not really constructive and that with all the new stuff coming out nowadays the staff of Kanzenshuu have way more things to do than create such small improvements. Still, I wanted to bring this point to light in hopes that maybe someone will come forward with some great solution for it.