A couple questions for the older members of the forum

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

A couple questions for the older members of the forum

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:51 pm

By "older", I mean members who registered for the forum a long time ago. For the purpose of this thread, let's say that "older members" counts as anyone who registered five years ago or more.

So, how does it feel to know that you registered for the forum so long ago?

It seems strange to me at times to know that I've been a member on here for six-and-a-half years. It's been interesting to see how the forum and website have changed in those six-and-half years. I believe the forum has changed twice since I registered? One time for an upgrade on the Daizenshuu EX forums and the other time for when the site changed to Kanzenshuu. I actually remember delaying registering for the forum for a few months because I was nervous to register on here. I had only registered for one other forum prior to this one, which I barely posted on and was only active on for a year. I still remember the day that I registered for the forum; it was almost sunset on a Sunday evening. It seems so long ago now...

Just for kicks, my other question is this: for how much of your life have you been a member of the forum, percentage-wise? You can round off the numbers for the years.

I'm currently 23 and I registered for the forum for 6 years, so I've been a member of the forum for about 26% of my life, or just over a fourth of it. Pretty crazy.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A couple questions for the older members of the forum

Post by Big Momma » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:55 am

Next year marks my 10 year anniversary as a forum member, and my 12 year anniversary as a site visitor.
I'l be 25, so that's at least 40% of my life on the site.

I first found the site while I was in middle school, and joined the forums my freshman year of high school. Next week I graduate college.

Yes, I feel very old.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:41 am

I'll be 30 in a few weeks, and I've technically been here for 11 years. It's probably closer to 12 if you count the chatroom and the short-lived forum on that Animation Insider site or whatever. And much more if you count just visiting the website. But let's go with 11, which is about 37% of my life. Almost my entire adult life.

I'd never really thought about it before, but I suppose it's a big deal for me to be a part of one community for so long. There are only a handful of people I've known longer than that, aside from family. I also moved around quite a bit when I was younger, so I've never had this much longevity in any physical location. Not that I'm trying to be sappy; the numbers are just fascinating to me.

I guess I just feel like Norm or Cliff going to Cheers regularly. Or maybe Carla would be more accurate at this point. I've seen a lot of people come and go over the years, but the changes in the community seem so gradual. I just know it's evolved from a small hangout for "subbies" into a major hub of all kinds of fans.
-Rachel

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:02 pm

I joined when I was a senior in High School. Age 17. I'm now working as a restaurant manager in Yellowstone National Park, one the verge of turning 28. Almost 11 years since I joined here...so around 35% of my life thus far. Didn't actually think much of it at the time - this forum/site was a small peripheral to me at the time (how much I thought I knew about things...haha, it's good to have grown up a bit). Now it stands as a very meaningful and relevant documentation of myself and Dragon Ball over the years. I've spent quite a bit of time reflecting on such lately, actually. My activity is usually pretty spread out, but this is the only message board in years that I've paid any time or attention to. Hoping for another ten years!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:28 am

I discover the site around late 2003 when looking up Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans and didn't join the site until 2009. I lurk the site for 6 years and I was 12 back in 2003. I will be turning 24 in almost a week from now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:41 am

Well, think I can include myself here. I first heard of this site through a friend of mine back in 2010 during a conversation, my english at that time was not that good so I didn't get involved too much (at one point, I already knew about Dragon Ball Heroes and this site was the only one covering it). It was only in 2011 when I got married with this site after having seen the very first information about Episode of Bardock, since then, I have been trying to join the forum but an error would always occur... :oops:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:46 pm

I guess I've been here on and off for more than five years, but it hardly feels like a day over four.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:12 pm

I first stumbled upon Daizex while it was 'down for repairs' in-between reboots(?). When I first joined these forums, I was using a PC with a 56k phone modem. Today, I can travel these forums on my phone using the wi-fi or 4G from pretty much anywhere (except for supermarkets, for some reason the supermarkets have awful connections). It's the future, you guys. It's great. :mrgreen:

Can you imagine how rough it would be trying to follow Fukkatsu no F info if they made it back in the early 2000's instead? That've been awful! @_@

Re: Time passage

Gets super-weird the farther along you go. You get used to it (mostly).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:29 am

TripleRach wrote:It's probably closer to 12 if you count the chatroom and the short-lived forum on that Animation Insider site or whatever.
The forum was hosted on Animation Insider for, what, less than a year? Wonder how many of the current members were part of that previous version... So if we count when the previous forum existed starting from 2003(?), I can claim 12 years of site membership. That's about 37% of the birthday I'll be celebrating in a few weeks...holy shit.

Though I clearly don't have a high post count considering how long I've been here (averaging 0.17 posts per day :P ), Dragon Ball has been my number one favorite series since about the year 2000, so I always find myself coming back here. No matter what other fandoms I become obsessive over for brief periods of time, I've always got my old standby waiting to take me back :lol:
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:04 pm

I first stumbled upon Daizenshuu in May of 2006. That would've been the beginning of my summer after my junior year of high school. I had been a member of a few other DragonBall forums the two years prior and finally decided to register because I was searching for a less cliquey community. As you can see from my post count, I don't post often, but I do love this site as I know I can rely on its content. Hell the only reason I'm here right now is because I saw a post on Facebook that mentioned the new DragonBall series being created by Akira Toriyama and wanted to check its validity. I knew if it was true, there'd be something on Kanzenshuu confirming it. :)

As for how much of my life I've been here, I joined when I was 18 and am on the verge of turning 27, so that would be roughly 33% of my life on this Earth.
100th Post: October 22, 2006 @ 1:58 pm

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Fri May 01, 2015 9:37 pm

I too have been around here for many years. I think I was in my early 20's when I joined. This site is the best source of DB info and fan community on the web, and has kept me coming back periodically over the years. With the newer games and movies, there is a growing fan base again. I remember most of you who have posted in this thread who have been around as long or longer than me, but with each visit, there are so many new users I find it hard to keep track of who is who. I remember you the most, Duo. I believe we conversed and debated a lot even on other DB sites before we both migrated here way back when.

To the OP, it is amazing to consider I've been a member here for so long. I generally visit the site and check out the forums at least once a month or so, but I don't post very often. I thought my interest in Dragonball had nearly died out completely, yet I enjoyed the conversations and community here so I still visited. Now with great new games, movies, and a brand new series on the horizon, my interest has come back to life. Not quite to the degree that it was at when I was younger, but I'm definitely interested again.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue May 05, 2015 3:49 am

sailorspazz wrote: That's about 37% of the birthday I'll be celebrating in a few weeks...holy shit.
I'm 21 and have been here since 2004, I'm sure I've been here more than 50% my life.

:P
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:38 pm

Been here for five years, but I was a listener long before that! :D
I`m turning 19 this summer!
It feels weird, especially after BOG, when so many new guys came along o.O

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Tue May 19, 2015 12:05 am

I'm nearing my 7th year here and I'm a senior in high school. Good lord, time flies. I was way too young to be on here! :lol:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue May 19, 2015 1:16 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:I'm nearing my 7th year here and I'm a senior in high school. Good lord, time flies. I was way too young to be on here! :lol:
Might want to change your age in the user control panel. :wink:
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Tue May 19, 2015 6:24 pm

Found the site when searching for news about Dragon Ball Kai's (then) untimely demise, 4 years ago. Joined the forum the next year, so... I've been here for just three years. Recently became 27, so that's just... 1/9 of my entire life.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon May 25, 2015 5:39 pm

When I first joined the forums, I was single, didn't have much facial hair, only had lived in one country my whole life and was just starting University.
Now I have graduated, am working my dream job, have lived in two more countries since then, am married, have a full beard and have started a lucrative career (hence my absence much of the last two years).
What hasn't changed is that I'm still an avid anime/manga fan, although I read mostly seinen/horror now.

The forums have changed a bit since I joined, since "in the old days", there was a more laid-back tone, although the site and forums still had the same level of quality and content. The good old "swing and a miss!" days!

Time has flied by so fast, and my registration date mostly reminds of just that. Never have I been a member of any Internet community for that long. I have been a member 32% of my life.