Kanzenshuu, Transparency, Ad Revenue, Editorials, & More

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kanzenshuu, Transparency, Ad Revenue, Editorials, & More

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:17 pm

So we just posted something in a new "Editorials" category: "Tracking the Sources: Beerus, FTL, a Vibrator, and You"

You'll notice there's an ad along with it. You may remember that we made a claim there wouldn't be ads on the website-proper, and would only be on the forum for non-logged-in members.

That's still MOSTLY the case.

The ads are only tied to the "Editorials" category and will only appear alongside those posts. In a nutshell, the ads that run on the forum no longer (and honestly, never did) cover the standard monthly expenses for the site, nevermind all the extra stuff we have on top of that. We felt that editorial content like this (i.e., not news, not data-driven website content) was fair game for monetization. It was truly original content.

For now, this is an experiment. There are no set plans right now for regularity of this kind of material. There are pipe dreams, and we might share them at some point, but only when it's relevant and timely. For now, please enjoy an article about how we waste our time (yet we have fun in the process).

TL;DR - If we're going to be translating vibrator reviews, we might as well be able to make a goddamn buck in the process.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Kanzenshuu, Transparency, Ad Revenue, Editorials, & More

Post by Cipher » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:25 pm

Hey, VegettoEX, nice article! But why is there an ad on the top of the page? Really an eyesore.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote:TL;DR - If we're going to be translating vibrator reviews, we might as well be able to make a goddamn buck in the process.
I really wish we could see the look on the much younger Mike's face, like say circa 2007 or even before that, if he knew one day, a translation of a vibrator review would actually be relevant to the site. :lol:

For what it's worth, I say go for it. I can't imagine how much money it takes to keep the site running, since I've never dealt with that kind of thing - especially not on this level - but just on the amount of cash that no doubt goes out to importing things...it must be insane. Sure, it's stuff you're interested in, but it's still gotta be costly at the end of the day. If seeing the occasional tiny ad is what it takes to help out even the littlest bit, I think people will be able to deal well enough.

Edit: Good lord, and they really are tiny ads. I almost didn't even notice it.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:30 pm

For what it's worth, I was only referring to monthly web hosting expenses... that doesn't include any Dragon Ball products we purchase, either for review, personal use, etc.

As I say, it's just the standard "keeping the lights on".

(And the intent is only for the ad to show up on the individual page, not when listed on the home page - Heath will be able to fix that up shortly.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:34 pm

Ahh, my bad then, I either misunderstood or glossed over that part. Still, a small ad is an even smaller price to pay.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:37 pm

Okay, joking aside (I think this is the fairest thing in the world and the ads are hardly noticeable)--
So, according to this databook, no character before Beerus’ arrival was FTL. Damn.

I am known as a down player, but even I wouldn’t go that far. Lol.
Holy hell. Are there really large communities of people who believe most characters in this series, or any of them, are faster than light? That's ... not possible. Or if it is, because the series ignores real-world science all the time, who even cares about a real-world physics-based benchmark in the first place?