Home Release Guide's Future

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Home Release Guide's Future

Post by Lunaar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:06 am

jamiljamtheman started a thread on the different versions of the DBZ Movies released in North America and after reading his question and seeing the responses, I wanted to go look something up. I was sort of bummed out when I went to go fact check when the 1999 FUNi dub VHS tapes first dropped, as I know I watched Freeza and Piccolo fight a full month before Z-Day happened on Toonami. When I went to check the Captain Ginyu releases, their release dates correspond with the DVD releases only - of which were released later the next year.

Do you have any plans to catalog the various "edited" versions of the movie/VHS release dates on the site? Or to an even larger extent, the matching box art? There's a bit of history with the VHS tapes, as outdated and awful as they are. Would you rather not bother providing non-essential information on an outdated format or is it something you've been meaning to tackle someday? ...maybe best saved for the wiki to end all wikis?
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Home Release Guide's Future

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 am

The point behind the guide has always been to document the series as it's available in the original Japanese language, with the exception of a release that begins dub-only and ends up bilingual (as was the case with the original, single-disc DVD releases).

I'm far more interested in making additions that document the series as it's available in Japanese in other countries than I am documenting dub-only releases from any country.

Hell, before anything else I wanna go back and add the actual Japanese VHS and LD releases!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks! I can get behind that framework. I would love to see the Japanese VHS/LD info go up on the site!
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Hell, before anything else I wanna go back and add the actual Japanese VHS and LD releases!
Nice! I've been wanting that here for a while! While you are at it, will you add the uncut release of Movies 1-3 on VHS and LD on there too? I know there were JP Subbed VHS's of these, don't know 'bout the LD's

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34