Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:10 pm

The gr wrote:The recent discussion have gotten really rough to the point the admin lock the recent episode, they have a new Norm, once a summary is realesed, they locked thread, like Soppa Saia People , when the episode comes out,It's very reaction based,is expected to have comment like that either negative or positive without knowing the context,so people will post one liners about the episode because they don't know the context of the new episode.
    I'm really questioning this decision on the admins, the admins need to post a rule in the first post of the episode discussion,to let's us know to avoid a thread lock.
    One thing I've noticed is that most of those posts that were "unacceptable" by VegettoEX were from users I was completely unfamiliar with.

It seems that the influx of new material has brought in tons of new fans, or fans from other communities, and they're trying to post here as they would elsewhere, despite the rules clearly stating how things are run here.

Thankfully, we have an awesome mod team that keeps things clean and orderly.
    "Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
    "90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Cipher
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:25 pm

I think the decision to keep those episodes locked until summaries or subtitles are out is for the best. Nothing occurs beforehand except a race to post tweet-like reactions based on a half-understanding of the episode, or an equally tweet-like race to inform those reactions with bits of translated dialogue or information from viewers who can understand some Japanese. I was guilty of participating in that this week. Nothing genuinely worth reading is going to be posted until after the episode has aired in full and is available with subtitles, at which point the urge to rush in with non-holistic reactions has, hopefully, mostly subsided. Much better for everyone's sanity.

Jinzoningen MULE
    I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:02 am

Cipher wrote:I think the decision to keep those episodes locked until summaries or subtitles are out is the for the best. Nothing occurs beforehand except a race to post tweet-like reactions based on a half-understanding of the episode, or an equally tweet-like race to inform those reactions with bits of dialogue or information from viewers who can understand Japanese. I was guilty of participating in that this week. Nothing genuinely worth reading is going to be posted until after the episode has aired in full and is available with subtitles, and at that point the urge to rush in with non-holistic reactions has mostly subsided. Much better for everyone's sanity.
    I agree with the sentiment, but if we're real, we all know places like Episode Discussion, The Official Announcement & Discussion Threads, and most other generalized, long-lasting topics tend to be of notably lower quality for a variety of reasons. They're lighting rods for lower quality discussion, and I worry a little about what will happen if there's an active move to shorten those rods.
    Retired.

Khin
    I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:15 am

It’s still mostly at those people’s fault for why the thread it ends up being the way it does. They should already know themselves that they have no idea what the characters are saying and they only have half-understanding of what happened in the episode. If you look at that thread, there’s actually certain members who are actually being rational and posted their raw thoughts on the episode in a good way, or people who are using Herms’ live tweets to judge certain things about the episode.

If certain people are actually being rational, you wouldn’t have a 10+ page of nothing but complaints about a 1 second shot in the next episode preview, and you wouldn’t have an episode discussion thread locked for the first time in over a year. These types of stuff is something not just present in the episode discussions threads, you would also usually see similar things in the official announcement thread, where at certain times people overreact/jump the gun quickly over something that they know next to nothing about.

There’s no problem with criticizing certain aspects about an episode or the show in-general, and people are free to criticize something just as others are free to justify those problems. It entirely depends on how they expressed, and the way they are in the thread is just embarrassing and buzz-killing. It does nothing but giving this place, the fan base in-general, or those people a bad reputation. Being hostile/antagonistic towards other fellow members in a community about a kid’s show just feels silly.

I fully support the idea of locking the ED threads until a certain point, and hopefully these types of things would no longer happen.

SansrivaaL
    I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:21 am

The problem starts when a user starts to act antagonistic towards another one for not taking his words seriously, I barely have any problem with veteran users here, we have a convo about the matter and dont take things seriously, I dont like what happens I say my 2 cents in the matter and they sometimes explain how that happened and try to rationalize it, I respect that and dont take it in a negative light as they're probably doing that to shed light in the matter as well so that we can move past that topic, but when other users starts to go on acting like an elitist or does a smugish tone is where things get from bad to worst.

Khin
    I Live Here

Post by Khin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:55 am

If someone starts to act antagonistic in a thread, it’s better to just ignore it. It’s likely that that kind of people have no interest in having an actual conversation and replying to them will do nothing but derail the thread and focus the current discussion on what that user is talking about. Plus, there’s the report button to bring that type of posts to a moderator’s attention.

At the end of the day, this is a forum about an anime/manga aimed mainly at kids, and we have a new series and lots of new materials that brought a lot of fans here. It’s undeniable that the show has done a lot of controversial things so disagreements can’t be helped. People just need to take a step back and chill when disagreements occur about something.

omaro34
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:46 pm

Definitely not toxic, but maybe I haven't been around here long enough to see a difference.

From my stay here, I haven't seen anything overly toxic. I've been guilty of getting into it with other posters on an extremely rare occasion, but its never personal.

Those who have been around here longer can answer this question better, and it seems like most already have.
    "Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

precita
    Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 02, 2017 7:11 pm

There's no difference than usual. You can look through the thread archives and read old threads from 2004-2005 with people debating/arguing about the same things they do now, not counting the stuff that didn't exist back then like Kai and Super obviously.

On that note, it is kinda funny how fandom never changes. Most of the people who posted here a decade and a half ago are no longer around and replaced by new people, yet the discussions of the old series, manga, dub/sub, characters in general, etc. is nearly identical as its always been.

Big Green The Yoshi
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Thu May 18, 2017 10:36 am

If you want to see a toxic atmosphere, go on DBZeta.

VegettoEX
    Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 18, 2017 10:41 am

There's no need to name and shame like that. People run different communities for different reasons. If you don't like what you see elsewhere, hopefully you can find some place that lines up with what you ARE looking for. Set and lead by example, even if that is just as a regular community member.
    :: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
    :: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
    :: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

batistabus
    Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 20, 2017 10:41 pm

Can I specifically address the use of the word "asspull"? It has become extremely prevalent in the Dragon Ball community for whatever reason, and I think the use of it is inherently inflammatory. It doesn't actually mean anything, yet people tend to throw it out there as if it speaks for itself. I'm not sure it's right to just flat-out ban the use of a word or phrase, but...I don't know, it just stands out to me.

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Sun May 21, 2017 4:37 am

Big Green The Yoshi wrote:If you want to see a toxic atmosphere, go on DBZeta.
    and Planet Vegeta as well.

HUEBR_Tapion

Post by HUEBR_Tapion » Sun May 21, 2017 7:31 am

Fearless wrote:
    Big Green The Yoshi wrote:If you want to see a toxic atmosphere, go on DBZeta.
    and Planet Vegeta as well.
    lolfearless

Nekis13
    Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:08 pm

This place is definitely not toxic

Sure, there are arguments but everyone here is waaay more civil compared to other places.

In some other places (won't name where) the discussions just go into a string of "#FuckKrillin" or something like "oh man U11 is so gay DBSuper sucks". At least the discussions here have some thought put into it, even if things get a little wild which happens rarely.
    stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Fearless

Post by Fearless » Sun May 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Nekis13 wrote:This place is definitely not toxic

Sure, there are arguments but everyone here is waaay more civil compared to other places.

In some other places (won't name where) the discussions just go into a string of "#FuckKrillin" or something like "oh man U11 is so gay DBSuper sucks". At least the discussions here have some thought put into it, even if things get a little wild which happens rarely.
    Name those forums!

majinwarman
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:40 pm

I don't think it's becoming toxic, but there are people who don't know how to state opinions without insulting others. People just need to calm down and relax on topics. Debates are only good if you can learn from them. Maybe I'm still new here, and I don't see it yet.
    Majinwarman
    So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
    A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MarCas92
    Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Been here for years. This place is the cleanest forum I've ever been a part of. Never seen anyone be called a fag or nigger or any other slur. We get arguments for sure, but thats stubborn and dickish behavior from individuals rather than toxicity created from an environment that welcomes or encourages it. If you think Kanzenshuu is toxic, I want to see what forums you've been on, because this to me is about as clean a forum as you're gonna get. At least one that's not exclusively designed for children.

Why? I always chalk it up to 2 factors.

-I feel that most of the fans here are mostly educated since they are either purists like myself or at least somewhat familiar with the Japanese version. This causes misinformation here to be quite rare and usually exposed pretty quickly.

-The mods actually do their jobs.
    How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Ringworm128
    Banned

As a matter of fact, it isn't.

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 pm

I don't frequent here as much as I used to but from what I can tell it's still the same forum I joined over 7 years ago.

Hawk9211
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:54 am

It’s better than most of forums and best from what I have seen.
    Why power levels are important?
    The genre and roots of dragon ball

Choujin Daizenshuu
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:48 pm

"FUNimation doesn't owe you anything just like you don't owe them anything" but we still want you to support the industry and buy Dragon Ball from FUNimation because Gen Fukunaga made the show popular here in the west even though Japan never owed the west Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Super to begin with.

Yup, nothing toxic here at all... :roll: