Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 9578
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Forte224 wrote:Toxicity is only an issue when it's responded to by people other than moderators. And by that I mean people that take the bait and make things worse. Thankfully the members on this site are almost always really good about that. Often times I've seen "Newbie" users that post things akin to "Nozawa is trash" or "nostalgiatards/dubtards" that have no further explanation and are obvious bait posts. And it's great because everyone ignores them. On another site a comment like that would get 50 replies and de-rail the entire topic.

Anyway, no, I don't buy that the site is overall becoming toxic. I've seen a few long time users claim it has, one even saw my join date and said I might be part of the toxicity since I didn't notice it, but I generally see these comments as cynical and largely baseless. They can't ever link to anything specific except the Resurrection F thread. They just respond "If you can't see it, you're not looking hard enough". Which is bogus.

That is because the ResF thread is the purest example. Look at how many times threads on the DBS sub forum get locked etc. Toxic maybe too strong a word I'd say more the quality of posts has gone down quite a bit, we barely get any detailed posts anymore instead folks just seem to either post click bait threads or start threads and then barely leave an OP. (This isn't a knock on you btw just speaking generally). When I joined, Kanzenshuu was this big scary place I definitely felt intimated I just don't think users get that vibe anymore, there were countless times whenever I would reply to a post only to not go through with it and once I was even close to making a post about how Kanzenshuu wasn't the place for me.

I definitely feel a change and not for the better (regarding the atmosphere of the forum the main website is still wonderful!)
Top releases of each month to look forward too:
December: DBS Movie Ichiban Kuji Prize A Super Saiyan Broly Full Power, Prize D SSGSS Son Goku (sculptors currently unknown), Ultimate Soldier I Anger Broly (assumed sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
January: DBS Movie Ultimate Soldiers IV (assumed sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
February: DBS Movie WCF vol.3 (sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super related merchandise and figures Album of SSGSS shots Album of Ultra Instinct shots Album of Ultra Instinct "Omen" shots Album of SSG shots

User avatar
Forte224
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Forte224 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Toxicity is only an issue when it's responded to by people other than moderators. And by that I mean people that take the bait and make things worse. Thankfully the members on this site are almost always really good about that. Often times I've seen "Newbie" users that post things akin to "Nozawa is trash" or "nostalgiatards/dubtards" that have no further explanation and are obvious bait posts. And it's great because everyone ignores them. On another site a comment like that would get 50 replies and de-rail the entire topic.

Anyway, no, I don't buy that the site is overall becoming toxic. I've seen a few long time users claim it has, one even saw my join date and said I might be part of the toxicity since I didn't notice it, but I generally see these comments as cynical and largely baseless. They can't ever link to anything specific except the Resurrection F thread. They just respond "If you can't see it, you're not looking hard enough". Which is bogus.

That is because the ResF thread is the purest example. Look at how many times threads on the DBS sub forum get locked etc. Toxic maybe too strong a word I'd say more the quality of posts has gone down quite a bit, we barely get any detailed posts anymore instead folks just seem to either post click bait threads or start threads and then barely leave an OP. (This isn't a knock on you btw just speaking generally). When I joined, Kanzenshuu was this big scary place I definitely felt intimated I just don't think users get that vibe anymore, there were countless times whenever I would reply to a post only to not go through with it and once I was even close to making a post about how Kanzenshuu wasn't the place for me.

I definitely feel a change and not for the better (regarding the atmosphere of the forum the main website is still wonderful!)

I guess I just don't see it. I checked the first 5 pages of the Super forum and there are only 3 locked threads, 2 of which were simply redundant because there were already pinned threads for those topics. So I don't know what you mean there.

I don't understand this intimidation thing. I don't think it's a good thing for users to be intimidated and would hope no one would feel that way on an internet forum. The only thing that stuck out to me right away was that this forum is more heavily moderated than some others on the internet but it certainly wasn't intimidating.
"The emptier your head is, the more room there is to pack with dreams"
"Even looking at it objectively, I still think Goku can win. Because I believe in him."-Masako Nozawa

Dragon Radar program made by thejeremymenace for adding English subtitles and the English dub to any of the Japanese Dragon Boxes.

User avatar
OLKv3
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1573
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby OLKv3 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Toxicity is only an issue when it's responded to by people other than moderators. And by that I mean people that take the bait and make things worse. Thankfully the members on this site are almost always really good about that. Often times I've seen "Newbie" users that post things akin to "Nozawa is trash" or "nostalgiatards/dubtards" that have no further explanation and are obvious bait posts. And it's great because everyone ignores them. On another site a comment like that would get 50 replies and de-rail the entire topic.

Anyway, no, I don't buy that the site is overall becoming toxic. I've seen a few long time users claim it has, one even saw my join date and said I might be part of the toxicity since I didn't notice it, but I generally see these comments as cynical and largely baseless. They can't ever link to anything specific except the Resurrection F thread. They just respond "If you can't see it, you're not looking hard enough". Which is bogus.

That is because the ResF thread is the purest example. Look at how many times threads on the DBS sub forum get locked etc. Toxic maybe too strong a word I'd say more the quality of posts has gone down quite a bit, we barely get any detailed posts anymore instead folks just seem to either post click bait threads or start threads and then barely leave an OP. (This isn't a knock on you btw just speaking generally). When I joined, Kanzenshuu was this big scary place I definitely felt intimated I just don't think users get that vibe anymore, there were countless times whenever I would reply to a post only to not go through with it and once I was even close to making a post about how Kanzenshuu wasn't the place for me.

I definitely feel a change and not for the better (regarding the atmosphere of the forum the main website is still wonderful!)

I guess I just don't see it. I checked the first 5 pages of the Super forum and there are only 3 locked threads, 2 of which were simply redundant because there were already pinned threads for those topics. So I don't know what you mean there.

I don't understand this intimidation thing. I don't think it's a good thing for users to be intimidated and would hope no one would feel that way on an internet forum. The only thing that stuck out to me right away was that this forum is more heavily moderated than some others on the internet but it certainly wasn't intimidating.

It used to have this "elitist" rep about it, where you felt like you'd look stupid and be talked down to for praising the dub or something

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby KBABZ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:17 am

OLKv3 wrote:It used to have this "elitist" rep about it, where you felt like you'd look stupid and be talked down to for praising the dub or something

I found it was mostly intimidating in the sense that I was coming in as an OG-DB dub fan wanting to learn more about the original product and its development whilst still favouring said dub. That was mostly me though, the site has been very accommodating, at least in the forum sections I frequent (aka, anything except the Super one).

Whether the site comes off as elitist or not is all down to the approach when conveying information. For example, if someone were to claim that Toriyama wanted to end the manga after Frieza, then "Actually, Toriyama had already planned Frieza's resurrection as a robot by the time he was killed by Goku" is much friendlier than "Ugh, Toriyama already intended to bring Frieza back when he killed him, stupid". One is a friendly offering to inform, and the other is a stealth insult that the other person is incapable of learning.

I haven't been here long enough to know if what you say was ever a problem, but if it was, I'm really glad that it isn't anymore because it's poor form IMO.

User avatar
OLKv3
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1573
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby OLKv3 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:37 am

KBABZ wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:It used to have this "elitist" rep about it, where you felt like you'd look stupid and be talked down to for praising the dub or something

I found it was mostly intimidating in the sense that I was coming in as an OG-DB dub fan wanting to learn more about the original product and its development whilst still favouring said dub. That was mostly me though, the site has been very accommodating, at least in the forum sections I frequent (aka, anything except the Super one).

Whether the site comes off as elitist or not is all down to the approach when conveying information. For example, if someone were to claim that Toriyama wanted to end the manga after Frieza, then "Actually, Toriyama had already planned Frieza's resurrection as a robot by the time he was killed by Goku" is much friendlier than "Ugh, Toriyama already intended to bring Frieza back when he killed him, stupid". One is a friendly offering to inform, and the other is a stealth insult that the other person is incapable of learning.

I haven't been here long enough to know if what you say was ever a problem, but if it was, I'm really glad that it isn't anymore because it's poor form IMO.

I wouldn't know if it were actually like that here since I wasn't a regular, I'm just talking about the reputation it had in the community. Whenever people would mention Daiz/Kanz, people would talk of it like it was full of elitists

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby KBABZ » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:04 am

OLKv3 wrote:I wouldn't know if it were actually like that here since I wasn't a regular, I'm just talking about the reputation it had in the community. Whenever people would mention Daiz/Kanz, people would talk of it like it was full of elitists

I think with one or two exceptions that really isn't the case here. You can come in here as a fan of the dub and prefer that take, as I do. You just need to show the proper respect and understand that nearly everyone here has different preferences. If you come in here swinging your dub dick around like it's the most amazing thing ever and the Japanese original is some narmy childish piece of crap that Funimation fixed, yeah, you should leave with haste.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6035
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby sangofe » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 am

Forte224 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Toxicity is only an issue when it's responded to by people other than moderators. And by that I mean people that take the bait and make things worse. Thankfully the members on this site are almost always really good about that. Often times I've seen "Newbie" users that post things akin to "Nozawa is trash" or "nostalgiatards/dubtards" that have no further explanation and are obvious bait posts. And it's great because everyone ignores them. On another site a comment like that would get 50 replies and de-rail the entire topic.

Anyway, no, I don't buy that the site is overall becoming toxic. I've seen a few long time users claim it has, one even saw my join date and said I might be part of the toxicity since I didn't notice it, but I generally see these comments as cynical and largely baseless. They can't ever link to anything specific except the Resurrection F thread. They just respond "If you can't see it, you're not looking hard enough". Which is bogus.

That is because the ResF thread is the purest example. Look at how many times threads on the DBS sub forum get locked etc. Toxic maybe too strong a word I'd say more the quality of posts has gone down quite a bit, we barely get any detailed posts anymore instead folks just seem to either post click bait threads or start threads and then barely leave an OP. (This isn't a knock on you btw just speaking generally). When I joined, Kanzenshuu was this big scary place I definitely felt intimated I just don't think users get that vibe anymore, there were countless times whenever I would reply to a post only to not go through with it and once I was even close to making a post about how Kanzenshuu wasn't the place for me.

I definitely feel a change and not for the better (regarding the atmosphere of the forum the main website is still wonderful!)

I guess I just don't see it. I checked the first 5 pages of the Super forum and there are only 3 locked threads, 2 of which were simply redundant because there were already pinned threads for those topics. So I don't know what you mean there.

I don't understand this intimidation thing. I don't think it's a good thing for users to be intimidated and would hope no one would feel that way on an internet forum. The only thing that stuck out to me right away was that this forum is more heavily moderated than some others on the internet but it certainly wasn't intimidating.


It's the rude and condensing way some people reply with at times. There has been more of that in recent years.

User avatar
Zephyr
I Live Here
Posts: 3436
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Zephyr » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:50 pm

sangofe wrote:It's the rude and condensing way some people reply with at times. There has been more of that in recent years.

Yeah, a lot of the time, it feels like everyone is trying to be Rocketman.


Return to “Website & Community Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests