Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minneapolis

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Soppa Saia People » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:55 am

Maybe because I'm not really active, but not really. Like there's not any huge drama happening a lot (all that's coming to my mind is that Jinzoningen MULE stop posting over some spat), and while I think there should be a Off Topic board, there not being one makes it less likely to have some big user feuds or stuff like that. I disagree with some of the choices (like I think no OT board kinda lessens a community, but it also allows a more respectful board, so it's a double edge sword, really), but Mike & Co run a pretty tight forum. Honestly I think there was more drama when I first joined than now.
my awful movie rates : https://www.criticker.com/profile/Cameron102/

my awful music rates : https://rateyourmusic.com/~andre102

they/them pronouns thanks ily

User avatar
Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Sinestro » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 am

I think this place is still great.

The most toxic thing I ever saw was in the past: the aforementioned chasing off of Sean Schemel.

I continue to recommend to people check out Kanzenshuu for accurate information pertaining to everything Dragon ball. I feel the community is top notch.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:03 pm

In comparison, Kanzenshuu is one of the best forum sites for discussion of this franchise.

The mods do their jobs, and people aren't flinging insults and vitriol and what have you all over the place.

However, there is something that's worsening that nobody really knows how to address. No, it's not toxicity. It's not even really negativity. It's "perception". With the growing numbers of users both new and old interacting with each other, we inevitably see clashes of personalities and opinions. Now, this in and of itself isn't a bad thing, and can even promote positive growth and enhance one's experience if it's conducted in a fair and healthy manner.

But when they don't go so well, when you get the occasional "power level debate in non-power level threads" or "super divisive episode no one agrees on" or "echo chamber of disappointment", it can be really disheartening to folks who see them. Statistically speaking, these instances probably aren't any more prevalent than they have been in the past. The difference is that people pick up on and don't tolerate them much more frequently in this day and age. After all, negative experiences tend to stick around in people's minds more readily than positive ones.

These clashes that I mentioned can become really vocal and visible in spite of their relatively small presence in terms of actual numbers, and this can seed a growing perception of a worsening state of affairs for the forums. It sets a false precedent, one that can be almost impossible to shake off. I believe this thread's creation is an example of exactly that: a perception of a worsening state of affairs.

If we're gonna try to get rid of this kind of perception, we need to focus on not drawing attention to these major clashes and echoing chambers. This is harder than it sounds, since the Human mind is naturally drawn to negative events.

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10198
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Kamiccolo9 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 pm

I mean, when every single weekly episode thread for Super ends up with the mods having to come in and calm people down, kick people off the forum, or lock down the tread, I think you can see where the rot has really set in.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.


Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
Doctor.
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10334
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Doctor. » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:17 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I mean, when every single weekly episode thread for Super ends up with the mods having to come in and calm people down, kick people off the forum, or lock down the tread, I think you can see where the rot has really set in.

So you're saying Super is the problem

User avatar
Desassina
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Desassina » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Kanzenshuu is not becoming toxic, but I sense a lot of contempt from the older fans, when experience is what they usually fall back on. Knowledge is available for everyone, and we can inspire others to look for it, but we shouldn't demand stuff from before their time as a fan. I specially hate it when I type things literally and they're frowned upon for some other meaning that was read to rant about. Times are becoming simpler and communication even more straight forward. I'll give you my word that I'm not passive aggressive.

User avatar
Asura
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Asura » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I mean, when every single weekly episode thread for Super ends up with the mods having to come in and calm people down, kick people off the forum, or lock down the tread, I think you can see where the rot has really set in.

Saying that happens every single weekly episode thread is a gross exaggeration, and if you actually look at what the "toxicity" is in those threads, it's so tame and mild compared to most places on the internet that it's kind of funny to me when people see that sort of stuff and proclaim the site is now infested with horrible people or something. While those people still do need to be settled down and controlled (because obviously even when mild, that behavior is unacceptable) I think the mods need to chill a bit too. Not on people like that, but for example we had a member almost get a warning in the ep. 127 thread because he used the word "retarded" to describe a plot point in the episode. That kind of moderating is ridiculous and unneeded, stick to moderating the people who actually start shit and personally attack each other, not people who have literally done nothing wrong.

What I don't understand is why an entire thread needs to be locked because two or three people are arguing back and forth with each other and throwing personal attacks at each other. It's their fuck up, so why do the rest of us have to suffer by not being allowed to discuss the episode? It was locked only a day after the episode aired and we have 2 weeks until the next one so it seems like such a silly decision to me to punish everyone for the actions of a few.

The people who complain about Kanzenshuu being toxic must be new to the internet, or not go to other websites often, because this is one of the most civilized forums I've ever seen, and like I said even people who have their real "toxic" moments aren't that bad in comparison to what people in other places say. Moderator intervention is still required for those types of people, but I wouldn't go using it as evidence that the website as a whole is toxic.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 9438
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Asura wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I mean, when every single weekly episode thread for Super ends up with the mods having to come in and calm people down, kick people off the forum, or lock down the tread, I think you can see where the rot has really set in.

Saying that happens every single weekly episode thread is a gross exaggeration, and if you actually look at what the "toxicity" is in those threads, it's so tame and mild compared to most places on the internet that it's kind of funny to me when people see that sort of stuff and proclaim the site is now infested with horrible people or something. While those people still do need to be settled down and controlled (because obviously even when mild, that behavior is unacceptable) I think the mods need to chill a bit too. Not on people like that, but for example we had a member almost get a warning in the ep. 127 thread because he used the word "retarded" to describe a plot point in the episode. That kind of moderating is ridiculous and unneeded, stick to moderating the people who actually start shit and personally attack each other, not people who have literally done nothing wrong.

What I don't understand is why an entire thread needs to be locked because two or three people are arguing back and forth with each other and throwing personal attacks at each other. It's their fuck up, so why do the rest of us have to suffer by not being allowed to discuss the episode? It was locked only a day after the episode aired and we have 2 weeks until the next one so it seems like such a silly decision to me to punish everyone for the actions of a few.

The people who complain about Kanzenshuu being toxic must be new to the internet, or not go to other websites often, because this is one of the most civilized forums I've ever seen, and like I said even people who have their real "toxic" moments aren't that bad in comparison to what people in other places say. Moderator intervention is still required for those types of people, but I wouldn't go using it as evidence that the website as a whole is toxic.

The locking thing makes sense, it means people can best gather their thoughts instead of typing the first thing that comes to their mind. Like you said there's two weeks before the next episode so there's no rush to discuss the episode.

Tbh I think they should open threads a few days after an episode has aired. Though with the show ending soon it's probably pointless but maybe something to consider if DB comes back as a series.
Top releases of each month to look forward too:
December: DBS Movie Ichiban Kuji Prize A Super Saiyan Broly Full Power, Prize D SSGSS Son Goku (sculptors currently unknown), Ultimate Soldier I Anger Broly (assumed sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
January: DBS Movie Ultimate Soldiers IV (assumed sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
February: DBS Movie WCF vol.3 (sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super related merchandise and figures Album of SSGSS shots Album of Ultra Instinct shots Album of Ultra Instinct "Omen" shots Album of SSG shots

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16054
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby VegettoEX » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:22 pm

Asura wrote:Saying that happens every single weekly episode thread is a gross exaggeration, and if you actually look at what the "toxicity" is in those threads, it's so tame and mild compared to most places on the internet that it's kind of funny to me when people see that sort of stuff and proclaim the site is now infested with horrible people or something. While those people still do need to be settled down and controlled (because obviously even when mild, that behavior is unacceptable) I think the mods need to chill a bit too. Not on people like that, but for example we had a member almost get a warning in the ep. 127 thread because he used the word "retarded" to describe a plot point in the episode. That kind of moderating is ridiculous and unneeded, stick to moderating the people who actually start shit and personally attack each other, not people who have literally done nothing wrong.

What I don't understand is why an entire thread needs to be locked because two or three people are arguing back and forth with each other and throwing personal attacks at each other. It's their fuck up, so why do the rest of us have to suffer by not being allowed to discuss the episode? It was locked only a day after the episode aired and we have 2 weeks until the next one so it seems like such a silly decision to me to punish everyone for the actions of a few.

The people who complain about Kanzenshuu being toxic must be new to the internet, or not go to other websites often, because this is one of the most civilized forums I've ever seen, and like I said even people who have their real "toxic" moments aren't that bad in comparison to what people in other places say. Moderator intervention is still required for those types of people, but I wouldn't go using it as evidence that the website as a whole is toxic.

Speaking of exaggerations, some of this, quite frankly, is patently absurd (wrapped up in some other good stuff, though).

It was suggested that perhaps a member could find a more constructive (dare I say "adult") way to phrase things, more in line with the community guidelines overall, and several members (unfortunately per the norm) turned it into the usual "SJW-agenda" nonsense, complete with the suggestion (by... you, actually) that somehow this was becoming more and more of an issue with the administration of the website... as if Kanzenshuu and the two sites before it have not since their inceptions had clear rules/guidelines, consistent current events / social commentary in news coverage, etc. I have consistently pointed out news posts, podcast episodes, etc. dating back over a decade at this point that clearly reflect this, and that's just the obvious stuff from the best-recorded/archived parts of our content generation over the last twenty years.

What is becoming more and more of an issue is that, with the consistent influx of new members corresponding to new franchise material, there is lack of understanding / naivety of what they have signed up for, and a lack of overall empathy that is unfortunately consistent with and in line with the rest of the internet discourse. We saw this with Resurrection 'F', and we see this with Super. I agree and thank you all for believing it to be adorably quaint compared to what you see elsewhere on the internet, but I don't think any of us can truly sit back and pretend it's not somewhat of an issue.

It's an issue, yes, but it's a standard, expected, regular one that repeats itself time and time again that we can anticipate and prepare for in some way. We struggle to keep up with it (making great new friends and adding new moderators along the way), but we try to do so in a way that still encourages and welcomes as many viewpoints and critiques on the material as possible. We've experimented along the way; one such example is not allowing episode discussion until it's available on official source websites with corresponding subtitles, which immediately reduced the drive-by comments, the incorrect assessments based on limited language knowledge, etc. Another such example was the occasional manga thread locking during peak "leak" periods that had limited, out-of-context information. We'll continue to experiment. Look forward to it.

But yes, that all being said, as a reminder: you do not have free speech here. We are not your government, and we do not have to put up with or even remotely entertain bigoted bullshit. You can complain until the cows come home about your "free speech" and your damn SJWs, but I dunno man, good riddance.

(So related to that: no, it's not that we're becoming more and more "social justice approach-y", it's that akin to what we're experience and observing in the rest of society, absolute assholes are becoming more and more enabled and encouraged to express their disgusting, baseless viewpoints. We have a very hard line in the sand about that. Don't like it? Shouldn't have registered in the first place.)

That all being said about that all being said, Kanzenshuu is a website that we maintain in our free time, that is not a job, and provides us with no rewards other than the personal satisfaction of actually running it. The administrators and moderators are volunteers that we trust to enact and enforce its guidelines as closely to their spirit as possible. It is something that we are not perfect at and never will be, and we can't read every single post but try to and we do thank y'all for helping us do our job by self-policing and reporting these outliers.

Unless you want to spout all that "but mah religions says the fags lulz" yeah you get get right the fuuuuuuuuck outta here with that. No, we don't want those posts. Help us and report them if we miss them. No, we don't want posts that consist solely of "FUCK THE VEGETARDS/GOKUTARDS/INSERT-OTHER-TARDS-HERE!! WORST EPISODE EVER!" Help us and report them if we miss them.

(Contrary to popular belief, no, no-one has ever actually been banned for disparaging a fictional character. People sure do like to make up their own stories.)

Otherwise, we're glad to have you along for the ride here!
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| VegettoEX.com |] ::

User avatar
Doctor.
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10334
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Doctor. » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:45 pm

VegettoEX wrote:snip


Really, I think one of the biggest issues now is the inability to handle the influx of so many young members. Can't really ask someone to act like an adult if half of the people whose profile you click on lists them as being under 18.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby KBABZ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Personally I try to stay away from threads about topics I'd get upset over or am wholly unfamiliar with and disinterested in, like power level mashups and pretty much anything to do with Super because I haven't watched it yet (small wonder I rarely post in In-Universe Discussion!). Part of being a good user I find is knowing when to check yourself, and one of the earliest lessons I learned is that it's extremely rare that you'll be able to change somebody's opinion about something, especially if it's to do with its quality. If you know that then you know when to not proceed with somebody and get yourself in a circular argument that wastes your time and energy and does nothing for either party.

User avatar
Asura
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Asura » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:14 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Asura wrote:Saying that happens every single weekly episode thread is a gross exaggeration, and if you actually look at what the "toxicity" is in those threads, it's so tame and mild compared to most places on the internet that it's kind of funny to me when people see that sort of stuff and proclaim the site is now infested with horrible people or something. While those people still do need to be settled down and controlled (because obviously even when mild, that behavior is unacceptable) I think the mods need to chill a bit too. Not on people like that, but for example we had a member almost get a warning in the ep. 127 thread because he used the word "retarded" to describe a plot point in the episode. That kind of moderating is ridiculous and unneeded, stick to moderating the people who actually start shit and personally attack each other, not people who have literally done nothing wrong.

What I don't understand is why an entire thread needs to be locked because two or three people are arguing back and forth with each other and throwing personal attacks at each other. It's their fuck up, so why do the rest of us have to suffer by not being allowed to discuss the episode? It was locked only a day after the episode aired and we have 2 weeks until the next one so it seems like such a silly decision to me to punish everyone for the actions of a few.

The people who complain about Kanzenshuu being toxic must be new to the internet, or not go to other websites often, because this is one of the most civilized forums I've ever seen, and like I said even people who have their real "toxic" moments aren't that bad in comparison to what people in other places say. Moderator intervention is still required for those types of people, but I wouldn't go using it as evidence that the website as a whole is toxic.

Speaking of exaggerations, some of this, quite frankly, is patently absurd (wrapped up in some other good stuff, though).

It was suggested that perhaps a member could find a more constructive (dare I say "adult") way to phrase things, more in line with the community guidelines overall, and several members (unfortunately per the norm) turned it into the usual "SJW-agenda" nonsense, complete with the suggestion (by... you, actually) that somehow this was becoming more and more of an issue with the administration of the website... as if Kanzenshuu and the two sites before it have not since their inceptions had clear rules/guidelines, consistent current events / social commentary in news coverage, etc. I have consistently pointed out news posts, podcast episodes, etc. dating back over a decade at this point that clearly reflect this, and that's just the obvious stuff from the best-recorded/archived parts of our content generation over the last twenty years.

What is becoming more and more of an issue is that, with the consistent influx of new members corresponding to new franchise material, there is lack of understanding / naivety of what they have signed up for, and a lack of overall empathy that is unfortunately consistent with and in line with the rest of the internet discourse. We saw this with Resurrection 'F', and we see this with Super. I agree and thank you all for believing it to be adorably quaint compared to what you see elsewhere on the internet, but I don't think any of us can truly sit back and pretend it's not somewhat of an issue.

It's an issue, yes, but it's a standard, expected, regular one that repeats itself time and time again that we can anticipate and prepare for in some way. We struggle to keep up with it (making great new friends and adding new moderators along the way), but we try to do so in a way that still encourages and welcomes as many viewpoints and critiques on the material as possible. We've experimented along the way; one such example is not allowing episode discussion until it's available on official source websites with corresponding subtitles, which immediately reduced the drive-by comments, the incorrect assessments based on limited language knowledge, etc. Another such example was the occasional manga thread locking during peak "leak" periods that had limited, out-of-context information. We'll continue to experiment. Look forward to it.

But yes, that all being said, as a reminder: you do not have free speech here. We are not your government, and we do not have to put up with or even remotely entertain bigoted bullshit. You can complain until the cows come home about your "free speech" and your damn SJWs, but I dunno man, good riddance.

(So related to that: no, it's not that we're becoming more and more "social justice approach-y", it's that akin to what we're experience and observing in the rest of society, absolute assholes are becoming more and more enabled and encouraged to express their disgusting, baseless viewpoints. We have a very hard line in the sand about that. Don't like it? Shouldn't have registered in the first place.)

That all being said about that all being said, Kanzenshuu is a website that we maintain in our free time, that is not a job, and provides us with no rewards other than the personal satisfaction of actually running it. The administrators and moderators are volunteers that we trust to enact and enforce its guidelines as closely to their spirit as possible. It is something that we are not perfect at and never will be, and we can't read every single post but try to and we do thank y'all for helping us do our job by self-policing and reporting these outliers.

Unless you want to spout all that "but mah religions says the fags lulz" yeah you get get right the fuuuuuuuuck outta here with that. No, we don't want those posts. Help us and report them if we miss them. No, we don't want posts that consist solely of "FUCK THE VEGETARDS/GOKUTARDS/INSERT-OTHER-TARDS-HERE!! WORST EPISODE EVER!" Help us and report them if we miss them.

(Contrary to popular belief, no, no-one has ever actually been banned for disparaging a fictional character. People sure do like to make up their own stories.)

Otherwise, we're glad to have you along for the ride here!


I don't think anything I said was exaggerated or absurd. Yes, you initially made the suggestion that the person use different language to convey their thoughts. I absolutely understand where you're coming from in asking for a more elegant and constructive response, although I think the way you worded it made it seem more like you had a problem with the language used instead of how he was trying to constructively convey his point. However, TheDevilsCorpse literally said, and I quote, "Last free warning guys." That's not a suggestion, that's literally as he put it, a warning.

No one had brought up anything about the "SJW agenda", in fact I was the only one who even remotely brought up that point, and I used the term "social justice approach", not SJW agenda which implies something more nefarious. Also, and most importantly, TheDevilsCorpse wasn't even suggesting he word his post more elegantly like you did, he instead suggested that if the word retard was replaced with stupid, idiotic, moronic, or foolish then the post would have been perfectly acceptable.

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:I'm sorry, how did I broke the forum guidelines again? By calling #17's sacrifice what it was? Can you honestly think of a better word to call a plan which basically boils down to "I'll kill myself in order to give Goku five seconds (literally) to rest"? No seriously, how do you call a plan like that?

I get that this is a DB fansite, and negativity isn't its strongest suit, but still we *should* be allowed to call a spade a spade.

Amir wrote:I would also call 17's plan retarded but we all know 5 seconds can easily almost restore one's stamina so 17 took advantage of that flawed plot point.
Also, he did just save Goku and Vegeta so it was better than just doing nothing right?

Also, it make sense that Frieza is now brain-dead like on Namek after being abused both mentally and physically, but the issue started with episode 125 - Frieza was so cunning and playing it safe, but after Toppo turned GOD he went full Vegeta, arguably even worse for no reason.

Words matter. They have meanings. Your choice of them can not only reflect poorly on yourself, but can be hurtful to others. That's something Kanzenshuu doesn't support.

Stupid? Idiotic? Moronic? Foolish? Any of them lend themselves to a better phrasing of the points you're trying to make, while falling more in line with our community guidelines. Last free warning guys.


When you're going to warn people, which inevitably can lead up to a ban, for using a word like "retard", then yes, that is a very social justice thing to do. I don't really know how anyone can even argue that, it's been a social justice thing before the word "Social Justice Warrior" even existed. Even as far back as I can remember as a small tike this was a debate, but one that very few people took seriously because of the amount of fallacies and hypocrisies that revolve around limiting the use of a particular word when other words that mean the exact same thing are deemed perfectly acceptable. Labeling something as an issue of social justice doesn't automatically imply crazy SJWs and their secret agendas and all that other nonsense. Social justice was, and still is, a real issue that isn't just dominated by crazy people who consider themselves warriors of justice. But there are issues of real social justice that are important, and then there's something like arguing over what the most socially acceptable word to use is: "retard" or "stupid" or "moron".

No, we don't have free speech here, you're absolutely right, which is why I never brought that point up to begin with. It's a private forum owned by a private entity and you have the final say in everything. That doesn't mean I, or others, can't still express our concern over the issue(s) that take place. In regards to my comment of the website becoming more "social justice approach-y", I'm not referring to how the moderators are handling toxic members of the website, but more-so with stuff like this, where we're limiting what kind of speech is acceptable. Yes, obviously no one wants people who come in here and talk about fags or "Vegetatards" or etc. that's not the type of speech limiting I'm referring to. I'm referring more so to the stuff like use stupid instead of retard or get a warning. What difference is that making? Is there someone out there who suddenly becomes less offended?

The other issue I was mostly referring to when I made my "social justice approach-y" comment was how that Roshi thread went down asking whether his antics are OK in today's day and age. There's nothing wrong with that question, and there's nothing wrong with people who feel that it's okay, or people that feel it's not okay. However, you and some others basically accused some of us as being defenders of rapists and rape apologists which are extremely heavy accusations that I personally don't take lightly, and you then locked the thread saying only your opinion is right, and there is no other side to this issue, everyone who has a differing opinion is wrong, as simple as that. That's the type of "social justice approach-y" stuff I'm talking about, where myself and others were literally accused of being rape apologists in that thread by some people, and then told my opinion is wrong, end of discussion. Were the people who quoted our arguments and literally just responded with "Fuck you, you piece of shit." even warned? Who knows.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:36 pm

I think something of a growing problem around here is the "quick jump reaction" style of posting that seems to be much more visible than its actual presence would suggest.

We're quick to react to things that happen, most often negative things, and this in turn can create strings of negative chains that give off the perception that things are much worse than they are. Case in point, how quickly a thread's purpose can be lost as people are quick to post a reactionary response, such as that Episode 84 incident.

I've had moments of this myself, and let me tell you, in hindsight it was pretty dumb of me.

Now, let me clarify that this is the PERCEPTION of the growing frequency of this that seems to be becoming a problem, not necessarily in actuality.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minneapolis

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Soppa Saia People » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:17 pm

I'm actually all for mods being strict with certain words. Like, I know it's kinda of a meme but, it's 2018, re**** and t*** shouldn't be used. The English language is pretty vast, there's much better ways to describe things. Idk if Mike and the other mods are gonna cut down on that kinda language, I'm glad.
my awful movie rates : https://www.criticker.com/profile/Cameron102/

my awful music rates : https://rateyourmusic.com/~andre102

they/them pronouns thanks ily

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby KBABZ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:29 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:I'm actually all for mods being strict with certain words. Like, I know it's kinda of a meme but, it's 2018, re**** and t*** shouldn't be used. The English language is pretty vast, there's much better ways to describe things. Idk if Mike and the other mods are gonna cut down on that kinda language, I'm glad.

I think they already have. One of the more jarring aspects of my podcast binge is how in the early years those words were used because, well, it was a different time back in 2008 where you could use the word gay as a synonym for lame or uncool. Definitely not a thing anybody does since like, 2012.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minneapolis

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Soppa Saia People » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:41 am

KBABZ wrote:I think they already have. One of the more jarring aspects of my podcast binge is how in the early years those words were used because, well, it was a different time back in 2008 where you could use the word gay as a synonym for lame or uncool. Definitely not a thing anybody does since like, 2012.

Don't really listen to the podcasts, but that's pretty great to hear.
my awful movie rates : https://www.criticker.com/profile/Cameron102/

my awful music rates : https://rateyourmusic.com/~andre102

they/them pronouns thanks ily

User avatar
Sin
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm
Location: England

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Sin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:45 am

I've been here almost 10 years and I would say there has definitely been a change in the forum, but definitely not for the worse. Moderators seem to have relaxed over the years, maybe its a case of being worn down but I personally prefer how things are now, it's clear where the line is between negativity and toxicity and mostly those posts are ignored by users and then made an example of by the mods.

Another change is, as Doctor. pointed out, we have a lot of young members these days. I know with the age restriction on joining it is sort've a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy if you're lying about your age, I think that's fine too. I joined the boards at 14 and my idea of Dragon Ball and it's fandom has massively changed over that time. I'd only ever seen the Funi Dub and didn't like the idea of a woman voicing Goku, now I have completely different ideas only thanks to being part of this community.

Toxicity is subjective, and where there are conversations to be had there will always be room for it. The difference over the last few years is that there are many more conversation to be had, we aren't going through a dry patch anymore, we have a new anime, new characters, new transformations etc. It all comes with the territory.

User avatar
OLKv3
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1573
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby OLKv3 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:35 am

Doctor. wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:snip


Really, I think one of the biggest issues now is the inability to handle the influx of so many young members. Can't really ask someone to act like an adult if half of the people whose profile you click on lists them as being under 18.

This is pretty much it. A bunch of crossboarders from 4chan or Youtube join up and act like they usually act. To pick fights over the fandom. It's annoying, but not enough for the entire community to be damned. Before the new material, people complained about the elitism, now it's the trolling.
It's just how forums for shows like this go. And this place is very tame compared to others.

User avatar
Venus
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Venus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:13 am

This place is probably the best Dragon Ball related one I know, sure some people may be a bit rude sometimes, but as long as the line doesn't gets crossed there shouldn't be nothing to worry about, luckily for me at least, Kanzenshuu has proved to be a great ride.

User avatar
Forte224
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 894
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Is Kanzenshuu Becoming Toxic?

Postby Forte224 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Toxicity is only an issue when it's responded to by people other than moderators. And by that I mean people that take the bait and make things worse. Thankfully the members on this site are almost always really good about that. Often times I've seen "Newbie" users that post things akin to "Nozawa is trash" or "nostalgiatards/dubtards" that have no further explanation and are obvious bait posts. And it's great because everyone ignores them. On another site a comment like that would get 50 replies and de-rail the entire topic.

Anyway, no, I don't buy that the site is overall becoming toxic. I've seen a few long time users claim it has, one even saw my join date and said I might be part of the toxicity since I didn't notice it, but I generally see these comments as cynical and largely baseless. They can't ever link to anything specific except the Resurrection F thread. They just respond "If you can't see it, you're not looking hard enough". Which is bogus.
"The emptier your head is, the more room there is to pack with dreams"
"Even looking at it objectively, I still think Goku can win. Because I believe in him."-Masako Nozawa

Dragon Radar program made by thejeremymenace for adding English subtitles and the English dub to any of the Japanese Dragon Boxes.


Return to “Website & Community Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest