Can we get a like button?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Can we get a like button?

Post by kinisking » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:18 pm

Sometimes I just want to comment "this" or "exactly " to posts. Obviously, that's against the rules. I feel like we should get a like button of some sorts. You could do something interesting with it like every time you get a like your power level goes up by one. The power level count would go right next to where your post count is and would only be used for show though. Anyone agree?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Can we get a like button?

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:21 pm

It's been discussed several times in the past.
I definitely don't want one. Then you have most people trying to make witty posts to get the most "likes".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:16 pm

Likes are never used for what their intended purpose was..
Take fb, people post random pointless and totally off topic replies to get more likes..
It turns into a game where whoever gets the most likes is the winner, it's basically that virtual money you can't ever have enough of..

I am against such an idea, it would kill the sensible conversations slowly as the new members wouldn't be participating and learning anymore either..
The same reason why there are more likes as compared to comments on platforms with such features
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:45 am

I don’t really see any upside in implementing a like button. Like Metalwario64 said, the main problem with it is that it will greatly encourage people to come up with mildly entertaining/senseless jokes just for the sake of getting lots of likes and becoming popular on the forum. It’s one of the main issues in places with upvote system like Reddit.

If you really like someone’s post (or simply enjoy/agree with the content of a particular post), you can simply send the poster a PM about it, or reply to their post with a well-made response. It would make a better and bigger conversation as a whole, rather than simply seeing a single post with lots of likes, without even knowing what or why people like/agree to that post in particular.

Basically, it feels a bit lazy to just +1 something when you can reply to their post and say what you agree/disagree to it. I’m pretty sure that if you reply to them in detail, the person whom you replied to or the people who share the same opinion as you will appreciate it more. Not to mention it will go well with the focus of the forum -- to have good discussions in detail.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:41 am

kinisking wrote:Sometimes I just want to comment "this" or "exactly " to posts.
You can always contribute your own thoughts to the discussion, and in the same post include a quote to which you simply say, "Right on" or "Agreed," if that's really all you have to add in support of a previous opinion.

I do wish there were some way to capture the non-verbal or briefly verbalized signs of agreement that are part of real-world conversations, but I myself am in agreement with others here in that I've never found a system I felt bettered discussion online. Even when it doesn't lead to an air of toxicity, I'd always rather see an agreement post than an upvote. Unless someone literally stole the words from your head, there's always something to add.
Last edited by Cipher on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:48 am

I like all the posts that agree with my position of not wanting a Like button. If I want to thank someone an actual post is a much richer gift.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:53 am

Like button's turn discussions into a hive mind on forums. You'll have one person getting all of the 'likes', and that will be seen as the 'correct' answer despite if the argument is flawed or isn't. It also gets tiring out of etiquette to keep liking something from someone back and forth in your discussion. It also in some niche cases gets people bothered when they don't use the like button on their post.

So yeah, I'd rather they not add it.