Could the forum have a like/karma system?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Could the forum have a like/karma system?

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri May 05, 2017 3:35 pm

Could Kanzehnshuu forums have a like/karma system like other forums have? So that we could show appretiation for the users that do worthwhile contributions on a discussion? Just positive karma/a like button only option.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: Could the forum have a like/karma system?

Post by batistabus » Fri May 05, 2017 7:14 pm

I would have given this post a thumbs up, were it possible. But seriously, I've wanted something like this for a long time. There are many times I wish I could just chime in and say "I totally agree with this post!" without much more to contribute, but I know that type of thing is frowned upon, so I just end up saying nothing.

Anyway, not sure if that type of things is possible with the "phpBB® Forum Software" Kanzenshuu is hosted on.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 05, 2017 7:30 pm

We don't need a formalized hivemind system. We have that already in many aspects. The focus should just remain on the discussion.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:31 pm

I really don't think a karma system would be a good idea. It would create a whole host of problems with people posting things simply to garner karma and would ruin the ground level communication that this site fosters. Never mind how arguments would be boiled down to whoever gets the most upvotes becomes the winner.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri May 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Let's not turn Kanzenshuu into /r/DBZ.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Not having that it's actually one of the many things I love about this site.
Checking some other forums, trolls and jokes usually get more likes than other well structured posts.

You can even use DBZ reddit as example. Look to most comments with TFS jokes and check the upvotes. It's ridiculous.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri May 05, 2017 10:19 pm

I would prefer that Kanzenshuu does not get a like system. And I would like it to stay that way.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:44 am

Why does this keep coming up? There's another topic just below this one that already asked that very recently, and it wasn't the first one either. :|
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat May 06, 2017 2:03 am

Making comments on posts like "I completely agree with this" that wouldn't count as a post, would be fine IMO, but for an actual upvote system, please God no. One of my biggest problems with Reddit is the fact that the upvote system just turns it into a huge circlejerk. Plus it just makes people make low quality """"joke"""" posts that just kinda ruin the dissiscusion at hand. Can you imagine when someone makes a posts about BL and the oh so funny memer makes a "Power Levels are bullshit" joke ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat May 06, 2017 3:08 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:Making comments on posts like "I completely agree with this" that wouldn't count as a post, would be fine IMO, but for an actual upvote system, please God no. One of my biggest problems with Reddit is the fact that the upvote system just turns it into a huge circlejerk. Plus it just makes people make low quality """"joke"""" posts that just kinda ruin the dissiscusion at hand. Can you imagine when someone makes a posts about BL and the oh so funny memer makes a "Power Levels are bullshit" joke ?
Yeah, I don't want half of Kanzenshuu's posts to become shit like:
"THIS POST'S AWESOME LEVEL IS OVER 9000!!!!!!1111"

(now please upvote my awesome post 'cuz I know the references on the innernette)
Or just random people randomly quoting TFS (like happens on literally every DBZ video on YouTube).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat May 06, 2017 1:16 pm

I said it before, and I’ll say it again - if you want to show appreciation to someone’s post, all you need to do is simply send them a PM about it. Implementing a like/karma system (which have several downsides that was already addressed above) is not necessary.

There’s a thread like this a month ago, so I’ll just quote my own response in that thread.
I don’t really see any upside in implementing a like button. Like Metalwario64 said, the main problem with it is that it will greatly encourage people to come up with mildly entertaining/senseless jokes just for the sake of getting lots of likes and becoming popular on the forum. It’s one of the main issues in places with upvote system like Reddit.

If you really like someone’s post (or simply enjoy/agree with the content of a particular post), you can simply send the poster a PM about it, or reply to their post with a well-made response. It would make a better and bigger conversation as a whole, rather than simply seeing a single post with lots of likes, without even knowing what or why people like/agree to that post in particular.

Basically, it feels a bit lazy to just +1 something when you can reply to their post and say what you agree/disagree to it. I’m pretty sure that if you reply to them in detail, the person whom you replied to or the people who share the same opinion as you will appreciate it more. Not to mention it will go well with the focus of the forum -- to have good discussions in detail.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:03 pm

I have mixed opinions on this. On one hand, you could just like a post without having to say "OMG i love this" or whatever but on the other hand, it would kind of take away from proving the point further or adding information/justification.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu