Can we get a sub-forum under the Super forum for spoiler-free discussion?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Can we get a sub-forum under the Super forum for spoiler-free discussion?

Post by Asura » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:38 pm

Many people like to come here to discuss the latest episodes of Super as they air as well as theories and discussion about the show or aspects of the show. However, since spoilers are for some reason so easy to read up on these days, people are spoiling things all over the forum and if you want to actually have a discussion about Super without reading spoilers, well, you can't really. Your only option is just to stop coming to the website completely until the episode airs and you can talk about it in the newest episode discussion thread since generally people are nice enough not to spoil things in there, but it's still a gamble.

So it would be cool if there was a sub-forum specifically dedicated to spoiler-free discussion. Or on the opposite end, a sub-forum specifically dedicated for discussion with spoilers. Either or, as long as I can actually feel comfortable reading and posting things about Super without having to have the show spoiled for me, that would be great.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Can we get a sub-forum under the Super forum for spoiler-free discussion?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:44 pm

In as dedicated and focused as a community as this, there's really no way to truly silo that kind of stuff off effectively.

Episode-specific threads are supposed to be only about those episodes (and their next-episode-previews), so if people are getting off-topic from that, please do indeed report the post so a moderator can take a look.

In general, I've found that folks are rather conscientious about not over-spoiling things when not totally applicable, either by holding back or using the built-in "spoiler" tag.

As one of the largest communities dedicated to this franchise, again, it's really impossible to expect to dance around new and forthcoming material spoiler-free. I would of course never encourage someone NOT to visit and be an active, participating member, but if you are looking to know as little as possible about the show, Kanzenshuu probably isn't the best place to back you up on that! And that's by design!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:In as dedicated and focused as a community as this, there's really no way to truly silo that kind of stuff off effectively.

Episode-specific threads are supposed to be only about those episodes (and their next-episode-previews), so if people are getting off-topic from that, please do indeed report the post so a moderator can take a look.

In general, I've found that folks are rather conscientious about not over-spoiling things when not totally applicable, either by holding back or using the built-in "spoiler" tag.

As one of the largest communities dedicated to this franchise, again, it's really impossible to expect to dance around new and forthcoming material spoiler-free. I would of course never encourage someone NOT to visit and be an active, participating member, but if you are looking to know as little as possible about the show, Kanzenshuu probably isn't the best place to back you up on that! And that's by design!
Sometimes it's happened that people spoil with the way they name the subjects, unfortunately.

Asura

Post by Asura » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:26 pm

VegettoEX wrote:In as dedicated and focused as a community as this, there's really no way to truly silo that kind of stuff off effectively.

Maybe "spoiler" wasn't exactly the right word here. I'm talking about leaks, a.k.a. information that is not publicly given to us by the show or officially by TOEI or anyone else. Things like getting future episode titles off TV guides or reading the descriptions for future episodes off of leaked guides or reading some dude's twitter who somehow knows a bunch of stuff about future episodes and such. If you still equate spoilers and leaks to mean the same thing though, then I'm not sure I understand your reasoning against having a spoiler-free subforum. You say there's no real way to truly silo out spoilers effectively, but that's not really an argument for why my suggestion wouldn't work.

I've personally had things spoiled for me numerous times. Sometimes in the title of the threads so I can't even avoid it by not clicking on the threads. I can be going to the subforum just to go into the episode discussion thread and boom, there's a topic with a spoiler in the title that I see before I can even click on the thread I meant to go to. I can report people, and I have, but that doesn't stop it from happening again in the future with someone else.

I'm not looking to know as little as possible about the show, I'm looking to discuss the show with what is already known about it. Anything beyond the latest episode's NEP is what I consider a spoiler. Kanzenshuu shouldn't just be a place for people who look up leaks and spoilers beforehand to talk about it, it should be a place where you can just talk about the latest up-to-date information about the show without going past what the show has shown so far.

I've asked people (who have already spoiled things for me) if they could kindly not do it again. They say sure, but then I've also been told that I shouldn't be coming to this website anyway if I want to avoid spoilers. That's kind of lame that I can't even come to talk about the show because of people reading leaks early and then talking about them in the threads. Hence, I'm just asking for a sub-forum which would allow people who aren't actively looking for leaks and spoilers to talk about the latest official up to date information with Super, and not anything beyond that.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:20 pm

Sooooo I guess the answer is no then?

Guess I'll just be forced to not come to the website anymore except for days when the episodes come out, and even then there's no guarantee given people like to put spoilers and leaks in the thread titles.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:27 am

Make a no-spoilers thread. Seems simple enough.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Make a no-spoilers thread. Seems simple enough.
That's like trying to condense the entirety of a forum into one thread. Still wouldn't solve the issue of spoilers in titles either.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Asura wrote:
That's like trying to condense the entirety of a forum into one thread. Still wouldn't solve the issue of spoilers in titles either.
Make the thread, and, if it gets big enough, use that as an example of why a no-spoilers section is needed. Judging by the reaction to this thread, and the general reaction on the board as a whole, why would the staff feel that it's worth the effort? Show that this is needed.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Asura wrote:
Make the thread, and, if it gets big enough, use that as an example of why a no-spoilers section is needed. Judging by the reaction to this thread, and the general reaction on the board as a whole, why would the staff feel that it's worth the effort? Show that this is needed.
That's a fair point. I'll make a thread and see if there is any interest. I should hope I'm not the only one on this website who just wants to watch the show the way it was intended without skipping ahead to episodes that haven't even aired yet.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Asura wrote:
Welp, looks like you raised a great point. 20 hours later and no replies on the thread, and barely any views either, I just wound up deleting the thread. I guess I vastly overestimated the amount of people who just want to watch the show without looking up leaks, and by vastly overestimated I mean apparently it's just me that wants to watch the show this way.

It kinda feels like walking into a book club where we're all only 50% done with the book, but everyone else has already gone ahead and read the ending. I'm just surprised no one else thinks this is bizarre and a weird way to watch shows. Guess I'll have to find my discussion for Super elsewhere, that's a shame. Thanks anyhow though for opening my eyes in a sense.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:00 am

Asura wrote: Welp, looks like you raised a great point. 20 hours later and no replies on the thread, and barely any views either, I just wound up deleting the thread. I guess I vastly overestimated the amount of people who just want to watch the show without looking up leaks, and by vastly overestimated I mean apparently it's just me that wants to watch the show this way.

It kinda feels like walking into a book club where we're all only 50% done with the book, but everyone else has already gone ahead and read the ending. I'm just surprised no one else thinks this is bizarre and a weird way to watch shows. Guess I'll have to find my discussion for Super elsewhere, that's a shame. Thanks anyhow though for opening my eyes in a sense.
I actually share your sentiment..
I myself started such a thread a long time ago, and If I remember right, namekiansaiyan did too, it got little to no contribution, ended up abodnoning the idea for good..

It's a shame it can't be done, but that's simply how the structure of kanzenshuu is..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:56 pm

Asura wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Asura wrote:
Welp, looks like you raised a great point. 20 hours later and no replies on the thread, and barely any views either, I just wound up deleting the thread. I guess I vastly overestimated the amount of people who just want to watch the show without looking up leaks, and by vastly overestimated I mean apparently it's just me that wants to watch the show this way.

Like Ki Breaker said there were many unsuccessful attempts made in the past to have spoilers and non spoiler talk segregated. But coming onto a hardcore forum like this it is expected a majority would be wanting to pry out and "analyse" as much information as they can.

Advice I keep giving people, but if you truly want to stay spoiler free and enjoy the show to fullest then discussing the show beyond when an episode has aired isn't a good idea. How many other shows do you watch that you frequently discuss beyond when episodes have aired? I assume not many. Pop into the episode thread once the episode aired then pop out a day or so later and forget about DB until the Saturday rolls over again, and I think you'll find you'll be enjoying the show much more.