Is it just me or are the boards/forums less active than they used to be?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Is it just me or are the boards/forums less active than they used to be?

Post by precita » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Is it just me or has activity on Kazenshuu's forums slowed down? I think it's because of the rise of social media, like twitter, tumblr, reddit, or new stuff like discord, that people prefer to talk about Dragonball there than on traditional forums like this one anymore. I've noticed this on every major board/forum I've been on over the last 15 years since the early 2000's. Even big gaming sites like IGN boards are nowhere as active as they once were.

It almost feels like traditional forums or message boards are becoming a thing of the past, and most of the young people of today prefer posting about stuff they like on social media accounts instead. As someone who has been online since 1997 and become on boards/forums since 2000, it's a bit disappointing to see less activity on forums and more people move over to social media. It's just harder to communicate with people and express what you like about series like Dragonball outside of forums.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Re: Is it just me or are the boards/forums less active than they used to be?

Post by nato25 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Apart from Reddit I can't really say I'd like to go anywhere else to discuss a dedicated topic such as a specific show like Dragon Ball. I'll be around for a long time coming.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:29 pm

I don't post as much because too many people want to debate opinions. I'd rather leave my opinion, read others opinions, and move on to the next thread. It's like I'll post my thoughts, then 4 people quote me wanting to start a debate that'll end nowhere because neither party's changing the other's mind and debate isn't why I post at all. I'm rarely ever in the mood for that and it's incredibly tiring.

It's not fun and can potentially snowball into a big time-sink when there's more pressing things in rl I should be taking care of. Happened to me a couple times recently.

I also don't post as much because I'm semi-tired of this current arc of Super, and at this point there's little about Z I can say that I haven't already said.

I check in mostly for updates on Super and a little on FighterZ, but I could probably get about the same thing if I just stuck to a couple people's Twitter updates.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:19 am

Chuquita wrote:I don't post as much because too many people want to debate opinions. I'd rather leave my opinion, read others opinions, and move on to the next thread. It's like I'll post my thoughts, then 4 people quote me wanting to start a debate that'll end nowhere because neither party's changing the other's mind and debate isn't why I post at all. I'm rarely ever in the mood for that and it's incredibly tiring.

It's not fun and can potentially snowball into a big time-sink when there's more pressing things in rl I should be taking care of. Happened to me a couple times recently.

I also don't post as much because I'm semi-tired of this current arc of Super, and at this point there's little about Z I can say that I haven't already said.

I check in mostly for updates on Super and a little on FighterZ, but I could probably get about the same thing if I just stuck to a couple people's Twitter updates.
"This" replies are pretty generic but yes, totally This..
You said it great, there was a time debates were enjoyable but it's plain tiring now, simply for the fact that it's debate for the sake of it..

Twitter is what I do now..mostly..
Pretty much all new information is in notifications as soon as it arrives..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:33 pm

precita wrote:Is it just me or has activity on Kazenshuu's forums slowed down? I think it's because of the rise of social media, like twitter, tumblr, reddit, or new stuff like discord, that people prefer to talk about Dragonball there than on traditional forums like this one anymore. I've noticed this on every major board/forum I've been on over the last 15 years since the early 2000's. Even big gaming sites like IGN boards are nowhere as active as they once were.

It almost feels like traditional forums or message boards are becoming a thing of the past, and most of the young people of today prefer posting about stuff they like on social media accounts instead. As someone who has been online since 1997 and become on boards/forums since 2000, it's a bit disappointing to see less activity on forums and more people move over to social media. It's just harder to communicate with people and express what you like about series like Dragonball outside of forums.
I'm honestly surprised, in a very good way, that the Kanzenshuu forums are still around. The main forum I would visit, the Insomniac Games forum, was shut down several months ago, and we were told to use Reddit, Facebook, Twitter and Discord instead. Those are poor replacements IMO; Facebook and Twitter are not conductive to detailed and thought-out replies because one has a character limit and the other has a reply-based communication system. Discord meanwhile is like Skype, and if you have three people talking at the same time it becomes a race to mash out your reply before anyone else does.

IMO forums are great because they encourage more thoughtful and long-form discussions, and there's no time limit pressure like with Discord. As for Reddit, I don't really like the culture on the site overall so I just avoid it altogether.
Chuquita wrote:I don't post as much because too many people want to debate opinions. I'd rather leave my opinion, read others opinions, and move on to the next thread. It's like I'll post my thoughts, then 4 people quote me wanting to start a debate that'll end nowhere because neither party's changing the other's mind and debate isn't why I post at all. I'm rarely ever in the mood for that and it's incredibly tiring.
I totally get what you mean there, despite what i said above. I think the trick is to learn which users are going to do that and just ignore their replies. There's wisdom in knowing when to not incite an endless debate with no progress.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:06 am

Most of the time I think that's because of the way we post our thoughts and opinions. When I sound like some know-it-all and my opinion is opposed to someone else's and said opinion is also presented as fact, a debate is all but guaranteed from someone who is acting more or less the same way.

Personally whenever I engage in a clash of opinions, I state my argument once or twice, and if I see (or to be exact, *presume* to see) rudeness or close-mindedness, I simply drop the subject. There is literally nothing to prove by arguing with someone over the internet (or even real life) over trivial matters like a kids show, a movie or a video game.

I'm ashamed to admit that I feel a small sense of validation whenever someone likes my posts or my comments, however.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:20 am

I think there's a small and significant difference between a discussion and an argument, namely that an argument will have more pushback, whereas a discussion is more closer to a calm debate with curiosity on both sides about the other's opinion. With a discussion you want to know more and keep the posts coming, while in an argument you want to "win" as soon as possible.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:11 am

It probably is the case that they're less active, though it's hard to say. There's been a flood of users ever since Super started, so it might just boil down to a different feeling, or few discussions you're interested in, etc.

I've found myself more active on Twitter for DB things lately, but that's because with a few years on the forum, I've said my piece on most parts of the series, and with discussion increasingly focused on new material, a lot of response is better directed toward one-off tweets than something that strives for relatively archival discussions like Kanzenshuu.

But I don't think it's a better format for discussion, whatsoever. Nor is Reddit, nor Discord. They're all poor replacements for forums in one way or another, and I really hope this place sticks around. I wish more forums would in general.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:30 am

I think it's less about the forum being less active but more of a case of the same "old faces" being the only members posting on a frequent basis with newcomers being very infrequent contributors.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:15 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:I think it's less about the forum being less active but more of a case of the same "old faces" being the only members posting on a frequent basis with newcomers being very infrequent contributors.
I'd definitely agree that those of us who've been around on the internet before even Youtube, and during the dial-up years are probably more likely to post in a place such as this (even though we signed up here much later, there are some who have been around since 04 that still come here). But to those who have been on this forum for years or a decade or more, we probably have said what needed to be said and tend to take longer breaks; we come back to find new updates and discuss new going-ons with the franchise (including what fans are doing). But the need to debate ideas have already been said years ago and one can only retread so many times.

I think it is a testament that Kanzenshuu (Daizex) has been around for so long. The management of this site has been great and the people who stay long tend to be great people to discuss Dragon Ball with. I have essentially taken a break from this site for over a year but found some new stuff to share. Along with Super, and other developments I still come back (but yes, much less frequently will I post something, but I'll check out the discussions once in awhile at the very least).

This place is the only place to receive and bring great, detail-oriented ideas and discussions on Dragon Ball alone. Nowhere else is there something like this. That's why even the Daizex veterans keep coming back :)

I will admit, the grammar police has become way more relaxed in the last 8 years.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:08 pm

I'm less active these days (only on maybe once a week or so) because I've focused my attention more on my games, homework, school, and other media. I'll always love DB but I've had less interest lately plus I sometimes fail to keep my large, controversial mouth shut on this forum.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:44 am

I've been mostly inactive for more than half a year now. It's mainly because my computer broke (I hate posting in my phone) and just me becoming lazy and not feeling the need to post as much as I used to (can't tell you how many times I've written a post, only to be like meh, delete it and not bother). I still visit here from time to time, though.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:25 pm

It's still pretty active, just not as much as around Super started, where there was a flood of users. I've been on and off for a bit here, since around June, but I still try to check once a week, but I normally don't post.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸