The Forum is EXTREMELY inconsistant in design.

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

The Forum is EXTREMELY inconsistant in design.

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:28 am

The Design and thread placement is all over the place.
The Video Games Section is perhaps the most consistent. All the Official Discussion threads are pinned and any new topics are placed below them. Very easy to find out everything.

The top 4 are fine. Then all of a sudden a Trunks thread comes up. Then another Discussion thread, which should be pinned but isnt. Then all the way to the end where i mark down and theres the DB 2018 Movie thread.. which should also be pinned but isnt. The gap is filled by random threads. Why?

Same problem here. Top 4 are fine them BAM! 2 weird threads in front of the Strength checker which again, should be pinned.

What is this Monstrosity in the Super section?? Why are all those old episode threads still pinned? See the last post dates in them? 2-3 month old dates. Why are they not gone from the 1st page already? Only the newest Episode thread should be pinned. Because if the old threads arent removed......

... this happens. The official discussion threads are so damn below its impossible to find them. Why arent they pinned? Why are they scattered? My head hurts when i am trying to find one.

Admins... please redesign the Super Section at least. The Other sections can be fixed easily. THIS needs straight up redesigning.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The Forum is EXTREMELY inconsistant in design.

Post by Asura » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:36 pm

Yes, I agree that the forums have been all over the place for a long while now. The Super subsection in particular looks pretty bad because none of the old discussion threads are being moved into the old discussion thread section, and all of the previous threads that were there somehow disappeared forever with no word as to where they went or if they're ever going to return.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Asura wrote:Yes, I agree that the forums have been all over the place for a long while now. The Super subsection in particular looks pretty bad because none of the old discussion threads are being moved into the old discussion thread section, and all of the previous threads that were there somehow disappeared forever with no word as to where they went or if they're ever going to return.
Exactly. Where's the admin when you need him?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
Asura wrote:Yes, I agree that the forums have been all over the place for a long while now. The Super subsection in particular looks pretty bad because none of the old discussion threads are being moved into the old discussion thread section, and all of the previous threads that were there somehow disappeared forever with no word as to where they went or if they're ever going to return.
Not to speak for the staff, but may I ask you if you know what it is like being busy having a job and family. You understand how tiring working all the time is, right? Things slip from the mind all the time, especially if you are busy.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:42 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
Not to speak for the staff, but may I ask you if you know what it is like being busy having a job and family. You understand how tiring working all the time is, right? Things slip from the mind all the time, especially if you are busy.
I have a pretty hectic life too. But if ANYONE sees that Super board, it should cross into people's mind.

If you run a website you gotta maintain it. The users wont want to hear about work life etc.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:47 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
I have a pretty hectic life too. But if ANYONE sees that Super board, it should cross into people's mind.

If you run a website you gotta maintain it. The users wont want to hear about work life etc.
Kanzenshuu is a community, not a product. If you're going to abandon a community for something small (that I'm sure the staff would agree with you on) then you really are just a 'user' and not a community member.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:10 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:

Kanzenshuu is a community, not a product. If you're going to abandon a community for something small (that I'm sure the staff would agree with you on) then you really are just a 'user' and not a community member.
No one said anything about abandoning a community.

While you're right about this not being a product and people have real lives that are much more important than this website, the problem is that this isn't exactly a recent issue. The old Super discussion threads disappeared in September which was 3 months ago, and the new discussion threads have been clogging up the Super subsection ever since without any being moved into the old discussion subsection.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way by the people up above since I'm just trying to give feedback without it possibly coming across as insulting, but some more time fixing the forums instead of watching over and commenting on every little misdemeanor someone makes would be time better spent. :?

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Asura wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:

No one said anything about abandoning a community.

While you're right about this not being a product and people have real lives that are much more important than this website, the problem is that this isn't exactly a recent issue. The old Super discussion threads disappeared in September which was 3 months ago, and the new discussion threads have been clogging up the Super subsection ever since without any being moved into the old discussion subsection.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way by the people up above since I'm just trying to give feedback without it possibly coming across as insulting, but some more time fixing the forums instead of watching over and commenting on every little misdemeanor someone makes would be time better spent. :?
This. I use the Super section the most and it bugs me a lot. r/dbz gets much more traffic than here. Its not badly arranged at all.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:02 pm

I don't mean any offense or disrespect towards the staff at all (much respect to you guys), but I do want to mention that the "we have lives" excuse doesn't work anymore. It's fine to put things off for the sake of rest or free time, but when there are issues that stick around for months like the aforementioned Super threads, it has to go a little deeper than "we're busy with other things right now, please be patient" - at least, I would imagine.

Again, no ill will here; just wanted to put that out there.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:37 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:I don't mean any offense or disrespect towards the staff at all (much respect to you guys), but I do want to mention that the "we have lives" excuse doesn't work anymore. It's fine to put things off for the sake of rest or free time, but when there are issues that stick around for months like the aforementioned Super threads, it has to go a little deeper than "we're busy with other things right now, please be patient" - at least, I would imagine.

Again, no ill will here; just wanted to put that out there.

Agreed. And its not like this website is that big. Nor does most other sections have the problem. But the Super section is weirdly poor maintained.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:50 pm

I don't know if they want to talk about it, but it's not as though you can't tell via the forum itself if you actually take the time to look around.

Anyway, the Super section of the forum is a mess. We know this. You're also going to have to suffer with it for the time being. Typically, after discussion dies down in an episode thread, the topic is moved into the archive sub-forum. Unfortunately, almost the entirely of that archive was lost a while back. Last I heard, work was being done to try and recover them, but the new threads are not to be moved until the issue is sorted out, so we don't lose them again. Is it ideal? No, but that's the way things have to be. I'm certainly not about to unsticky them and then have to track them all down later once a solution is reached.

As for some of the other points, I'll sticky the thread for the new movie. The Strength Checker will remain how it is, as the thread is already linked in Herms' massive list of guides in the Guide Guide.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:36 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I don't know if they want to talk about it, but it's not as though you can't tell via the forum itself if you actually take the time to look around.

Anyway, the Super section of the forum is a mess. We know this. You're also going to have to suffer with it for the time being. Typically, after discussion dies down in an episode thread, the topic is moved into the archive sub-forum. Unfortunately, almost the entirely of that archive was lost a while back. Last I heard, work was being done to try and recover them, but the new threads are not to be moved until the issue is sorted out, so we don't lose them again. Is it ideal? No, but that's the way things have to be. I'm certainly not about to unsticky them and then have to track them all down later once a solution is reached.

As for some of the other points, I'll sticky the thread for the new movie. The Strength Checker will remain how it is, as the thread is already linked in Herms' massive list of guides in the Guide Guide.
The last update about trying to recover those threads was 3 months ago though. I’m guessing that no one is actually still trying to actively recover them otherwise it certainly would not take this long. Unfortunately, it seems like you’re waiting for a problem to be fixed that no one is currently working on fixing.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:03 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I don't know if they want to talk about it, but it's not as though you can't tell via the forum itself if you actually take the time to look around.

I agree with Asura above. Seems like no admin is working on anything.

Whats the difference if we move previous episode to a new archive or just straight up delete it? Nobody is losing a thing.

I PM'd this Vegeto guy,who I'm told is the owner, about this thread. Lets see.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:00 am

I don't know how many times I've seen Mike explain this, but they run this site for free with their own money, and have families. So they have to work, I'm assuming quite a lot, to afford to keep this place up. They also need to eat, sleep, and have some fun from time to time. And that's just what we know about. I'm not sure how old the lot of you complaining about the Super sub-forum's organization are, but that's all a pretty big deal. I'm not sure what would explain viewing all of that as trivial, short of still being young and living at home.

Even if you have the luxury to pretend that "real life is one hell of a time sink" isn't a valid excuse, there's more than plenty to do, that's much more important, on the site itself. The Episode and Manga guides still aren't complete, the Wiki still hasn't been finished, and there's probably no shortage of old interviews to translate and catalog. Pair with that the increased need for moderation that the influx of new users, with their ballistic barrages of low effort and low quality posts, has brought. Add onto that the podcast that they put out almost every week. And that's just what we know about.

Be grateful that this place is still going, and offers the high quality information that it does. They don't have all the time in the world to tinker with the site, and what time they do have is likely generally spent on really important features. The Super Episode Discussion threads are generally a trash-heap anyway, so something that low quality is rightfully kept as a really low priority. It's not like the site doesn't have a search function for when you can't immediately find something on the top of the front page.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:25 am

Zephyr wrote:I don't know how many times I've seen Mike explain this, but they run this site for free with their own money, and have families. So they have to work, I'm assuming quite a lot, to afford to keep this place up. They also need to eat, sleep, and have some fun from time to time. And that's just what we know about. I'm not sure how old the lot of you complaining about the Super sub-forum's organization are, but that's all a pretty big deal. I'm not sure what would explain viewing all of that as trivial, short of still being young and living at home.

Even if you have the luxury to pretend that "real life is one hell of a time sink" isn't a valid excuse, there's more than plenty to do, that's much more important, on the site itself. The Episode and Manga guides still aren't complete, the Wiki still hasn't been finished, and there's probably no shortage of old interviews to translate and catalog. Pair with that the increased need for moderation that the influx of new users, with their ballistic barrages of low effort and low quality posts, has brought. Add onto that the podcast that they put out almost every week. And that's just what we know about.

Be grateful that this place is still going, and offers the high quality information that it does. They don't have all the time in the world to tinker with the site, and what time they do have is likely generally spent on really important features. The Super Episode Discussion threads are generally a trash-heap anyway, so something that low quality is rightfully kept as a really low priority. It's not like the site doesn't have a search function for when you can't immediately find something on the top of the front page.
So they just leave it like that? Then why create a forum? Keep the news site and information board and move on.

There's nothing to be thankful about. Just auto deleting the previous episode discussion thread when the next one is up will do a great job

And if you cant do that yourself. Give power to people who can. Guys like sintzu [hello jerin], Lord Beerus are really active guy who can play the role of a good moderator, cleaning up the forum topics.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:02 am

Zephyr wrote:I don't know how many times I've seen Mike explain this, but they run this site for free with their own money, and have families. So they have to work, I'm assuming quite a lot, to afford to keep this place up. They also need to eat, sleep, and have some fun from time to time. And that's just what we know about. I'm not sure how old the lot of you complaining about the Super sub-forum's organization are, but that's all a pretty big deal. I'm not sure what would explain viewing all of that as trivial, short of still being young and living at home.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate all the work that goes into this volunteer project, and obviously people have real lives outside of this website, but I don't think that excuse is really all that valid when it's been like this for months without any update at all on the matter. So what's wrong with asking for an update on what's going on after months have gone by?

Seems very reasonable to me. Your grudge against Super doesn't really take into account how popular those discussion threads are. They easily garner the most posts on the entire website in the shortest amount of time when an episode goes up. You'll have like 5 pages in less than 2 hours, so saying those threads should be a low priority is ridiculous.
Professor Freeza wrote:Just auto deleting the previous episode discussion thread when the next one is up will do a great job
No way, I liked reading those things and it's a shame the old ones got deleted or whatever the deal was.
Last edited by Asura on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:08 am

Asura wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:Just auto deleting the previous episode discussion thread when the next one is up will do a great job
No way, I liked reading those things and it's a shame the old ones got deleted or whatever the deal was.

At least it will clean up the things.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:03 am

I'm with Zephyr on this.

When you're an adult, shit happens. The forum is not more important than real life, especially something as minor as some aesthetic issues. Not everybody is a high school/college student with flexible schedules and plenty of free time to bitch about a cartoon online.

In addition to, you know, life being a thing, there is the constant need to babysit the perpetrators of the aforementioned bitching, who have flooded this place in the last couple of years.

Furthermore, the forum is a part of the overall Kanzenshuu site, not the main feature itself. Mike and co. have repeatedly mentioned the huge influx of new stuff they've been working on since the BoG revival began. It's their site; they decide what the priority is.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:14 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I'm with Zephyr on this.

When you're an adult, shit happens. The forum is not more important than real life, especially something as minor as some aesthetic issues. Not everybody is a high school/college student with flexible schedules and plenty of free time to bitch about a cartoon online.

In addition to, you know, life being a thing, there is the constant need to babysit the perpetrators of the aforementioned bitching, who have flooded this place in the last couple of years.

Furthermore, the forum is a part of the overall Kanzenshuu site, not the main feature itself. Mike and co. have repeatedly mentioned the huge influx of new stuff they've been working on since the BoG revival began. It's their site; they decide what the priority is.

This is so wrong. If you cant keep a site clean by deleting 3 month old threads.. whats the point?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:21 am

They don't want to delete old threads. There was an issue last year in which they dialed back editing privileges for everybody so that people couldn't delete their old content.

And "what's the point?" The point of the forum is to have discussion. Your distaste for the current organization doesn't prevent that.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"