"From The Past Friday" - Shuu Voices

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

"From The Past Friday" - Shuu Voices

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:17 pm

Hey, everyone!

In case you haven't had a chance to see it all on the main page yet, I'm going to start up a new little feature every Friday called "From The Past Friday" (original name, right?).

For this first installment, I'm showcasing some potential voices FUNimation considered for the character of Shuu ("Shao") back in 2000 when they were going back to re-dub (and continue dubbing) DB. What was so significant about this was that they actually put these samples up on their site and had a little poll asking fans what they wanted. Fancy that, huh...?!
There ya' go! Love to hear what you have to say about the whole situation.

Also, as I stated on the home page, I don't seem to have the Goku voice samples. If anyone still has them sitting around on a hard-drive or CD from back in 2000, please let me know!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:52 pm

They really made this one easy. #1 really was the best choice. The other voices just sound far too goofy and silly, not to mention unbelievably grating. The first one, while slightly grating, has a realistic-yet-amusing quality to it that really--

You know what?

It just sounds better. It's funny and fits.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Holy shit, #2 is DEFINITELY Kyle XD; #3 sounds like Brice Armstrong doing kind of a "gay" lisp, and #4 I don't have a clue. Chris Cason's final voice for him is different enough from #1, s'kind of like a cross between Homsar and Christopher Walken or something. Interested in hearing the others upcoming.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:52 pm

1 was definitely the best of the bunch. I could have sworn the fourth voice was the Funi voice for Roshi's Turtle. Can't remember his name.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

kingvegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kingvegito » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:33 pm

SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:1 was definitely the best of the bunch. I could have sworn the fourth voice was the Funi voice for Roshi's Turtle. Can't remember his name.
I believe it's Umigame. 8)

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:36 pm

Kirbopher wrote:Holy shit, #2 is DEFINITELY Kyle XD; #3 sounds like Brice Armstrong doing kind of a "gay" lisp, and #4 I don't have a clue. Chris Cason's final voice for him is different enough from #1, s'kind of like a cross between Homsar and Christopher Walken or something. Interested in hearing the others upcoming.
I think that #4 is Sean Schemmel. Notice how similar he sounds to King Kai when he says, "I was ordering PIZZA!" The word "PIZZA" especially.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:13 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:They really made this one easy. #1 really was the best choice. The other voices just sound far too goofy and silly, not to mention unbelievably grating. The first one, while slightly grating, has a realistic-yet-amusing quality to it that really--

You know what?

It just sounds better. It's funny and fits.
Agreed. The other three just sounded closer to some kind of Barney ripoff.

While the dub has its ups and downs, I do think that Shuu's voice was pretty well done. It kept the goofy without being too um... "stupid" sounding. And it doesn't help that Shuu's voice gets slightly tweaked over time as well.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

yamicell2501

Post by yamicell2501 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:10 am

lol The last one sounds like littlekuriboh voiced it (for anyone who watches Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series). Basically, a higher pitched Barny, but it sounds so much like him.

Mai: Sir, we have the last Dragon Ball.
Pilaf: Excellent! Now the world will be ruled under the order of Pilaf!!
Shuu: I love you. You love me. We're a happy familyyyyyy...
Allow me to show you the terror of perfection. - Perfect Cell (DBZ: Sparking Meteor)

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:39 am

It sounds like 2, 3 and 4 were trying to immitate the... umm... previous version (was that Ocean's cast? I want to think so...).
... #3 could have passed for Jasper, the cousin of Brian Griffen. o.o
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:15 am

Y'know I think number 2 could have been a good voice for Umigame. I love the new feature!

Edit: Actually number 3 makes a good umigame too, I wonder why he thought Shu should sound so slow.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:09 am

kingvegito wrote:
SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:1 was definitely the best of the bunch. I could have sworn the fourth voice was the Funi voice for Roshi's Turtle. Can't remember his name.
You know whats silly about that? Doesnt Umigame mean turtle in Japanese?

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:01 am

Sun_Wukong wrote:
kingvegito wrote:
You know whats silly about that? Doesnt Umigame mean turtle in Japanese?
"Sea Turtle" actually. I don't think that's really his name so much as it's what they call him, because it's what he is. Then again, that's sort of screwed up. Then AGAIN, they call Digimon and Pokemon by their names all the time in their respective programs, regardless of the fact they have obvious personalities and become attached to their owners/partners.

Anyway. Yeah, the third one sounds sorta like Snagglepuss.