How did you decide/get your avatar?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:04 pm

I didn't know there was a Wind Waker manga! :shock: *Goes to read*

That was actually a good manga, perfect for the Wind Waker style. My favorite part was this:

Nice avatar by the way, and yes, Wind Waker is awesome. My last avatar was actually a Wind Waker one:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:15 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:I changed my avatar to a .gif I made of Hank getting sad from the first episode. It still has his house! Watch his forehead wrinkles go!
I can't see his house I tell ya what! That could be any ol' dang wall.
I tell ya that Metalwarrio ain't right!
I tell ya hwat, why don't ya just take a dang ol' closer look man?

:lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ToshiMustgrind
Beyond Newbie

Post by ToshiMustgrind » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:10 am

Changed it :)
Just attended Anime Expo muhaha
[url=http://toshimustgrind.deviantart.com]DeviantArt.com[/url] | [url=http://www.cosplay.com/member/302/]Tenucha on Cosplay.com[/url] | [url=http://www.myspace.com/tenucha]Tenucha on MySpace.com[/url]

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:49 pm

I just love my Goku avy! <3

Thanks Tanooki!

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:42 pm

Somehow, I knew that Goten avatar wasn't going to last long...

So this is my new avatar....

....which is the official art for my sixth avatar:

This is my eighth avatar. I probably change it too much....

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:55 pm

Because Gohan's awesome.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:27 pm

Megaman fan and player from childhood......... got bored from all those Dragon Ball avatars 8)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:40 pm

MCDaveG wrote:Megaman fan and player from childhood......... got bored from all those Dragon Ball avatars 8)
Hell yeah.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:34 pm

I copied Mike. :P

Too bad I've gained a lot of weight since then.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:07 am

I liked Ooishi Naho's Ooishi-Bot from the V-Jump version of the 2008 Jump Special. Simple enough.

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:23 am

ummmm.... ever heard of Kame-Sennin?
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan

Aikachi

Post by Aikachi » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:07 pm

I drew it. Meet my original DBZ-sue from way back in my fanfic writing days, now presented in shiny shiny HD. Her name is Sanaki :D comes from 'Spinach'.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:05 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Kunzait, you scare me sometimes :p

Mine is Onikage... for obvious reasons. I've had a few in the past. My last one was Link wearing the Fierce Diety mask, because some guys had Majora icons and it got me in a Zelda mood. I've had a few Piccolo icons (Daimao and Ma Jr.), because Piccolo's my favorite character. That's all I can recall off the top of my head.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:50 pm

I saw the original clip of Naruto punching Haku and all I could think was, "He just got knocked the FUCK OUT."

So, I decided to replace it with Ryu. =D
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:22 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:I saw the original clip of Naruto punching Haku and all I could think was, "He just got knocked the FUCK OUT."

So, I decided to replace it with Ryu. =D
I've been meaning to ask you about your avatar for the longest time.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:53 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Well... let's run down my whole history of Daizex avatars;

[snip]

The first one is insanely simple (and thus far my only actual Dragon Ball related icon): it's the character portrait of one of the filler-illusory Saiya-jin from the first NES DBZ RPG (try squeezing more three letter acronyms that that into a sentence while still making it coherent). Why? Cause that episode of the anime is probably my single favorite stand alone episode in all of DBZ, and I though the NES graphical style suited the decidedly 80’s anime aesthetic that that particular episode especially embraced.

My second, and to date longest used avatar is good old Takagi Yoshiyuki from Osu!! Karate Bu.

[snip]

Why him? Well this one’s kinda deeply rooted to me: OKB was among one of the earliest, earliest manga I had ever gotten heavily into (possibly my first ever) back in the very early 90’s (like literally 1990/1991). Takagi is of course the main character of this manga.

The funny thing about OKB is that like a lot of other anime and manga series of that particular time period that I can think of (Dragon Ball being also among them) is that it very heavily embodies the kinds of long running anime and manga series that were very popular back in the earlier days of Western anime and manga fandom.

What separates OKB from many of these others however is that most of the others, in some fashion or another, have seemed to very much survive the post-Toonami anime boom, and in many cases have used said boom to find an incredibly broad and mainstream audience, of the magnitude that many anime and manga fans of my heyday thought would be a total pipe dream.

All of them of course, except for OKB which has somehow quietly vanished into total obscurity, almost to the point of borderline non-existence for some time within any language-speaking circle that wasn’t Japanese. It’s a real unique case of a title that was at one point among the most popular long running serialized manga amongst Western fans, only to somehow completely miss the boat in the changeover of manga and anime fandom from being super underground to mainstream, and instead vanish utterly off the face of existence (as opposed to Ranma ½, Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Lupin III, and so forth).

Even other popular super-franchises of that time that didn’t really catch onto the post-Toonami-era (like Hokuto no Ken, Flame of Recca, and Kimagure Orange Road) didn’t completely disappear to such an extent as OKB. It truly was and remains one of the great lost gems of the major late 80’s/early 90’s manga super-franchises, and the only one that I can think of that has so utterly and completely not at all made the changeover in manga/anime fanbase generations.

With that in mind, I picked it’s main character out for an avatar because it manages to perfectly embody much of the spirit of the generation of anime and manga fandom I come from (insofar as mega-long running franchises go at least, which suits a Dragon Ball website pretty well), the same generation that I discovered more familiar-to-the-Toonami-generation anime titles like Dragon Ball and Yu Yu Hakusho during, while at the same time standing completely alone and out from the more familiar pack of 80’s and early 90’s mega-franchises that have successfully made the transition through to the new-school era of fandom.

That, and Takagi himself is of course a total badass, and the particular OAV screenshot of him here is totally priceless. :lol:

Next up, is my more-recent icon, which comes by way of the seinen body-horror manga Kiseijuu (otherwise known as Parasyte). Parasyte of course being one of the all time greatest horror manga you’ll ever come across, and a longtime favorite of mine.

[snip]

The character here was never named to my knowledge, but is notable as one of the first aggressively antagonistic Parasyte-bonded humans that the main character duo Shin and Migi run afoul of. I picked him out of pure nostalgia: he comes from the very first chapter of the manga I ever read way back in the mid-90’s, and I always loved his design.

Which now brings us to the present: I decided to change things up once more, and after some indecisiveness, I wound up going with a screenshot from the OAV based on the Devilman sequel “Amon” that came out back in 2000.

[snip]

Here we have a close up of a small child named Yumi, who is in the process of being cannibalistically chowed down upon by the demon Amon. :twisted: The whole scene is really quite spectacular; the dripping pool of blood and entrails on the ground beneath them is wonderfully drawn and animated, and you can note here in the close up that Yumi’s right eyelid (which was mutated and deformed by a demon that was bonded to her anyway) has been torn off. And don't even get me started on the "munching, crunching, and squishing" sound effects, which are likewise aces.

So... why this? Well, I just chose it purely because I love the Devilman franchise, always have, and some good old-fashioned graphic and horrific child death nicely encapsulates and expresses my contempt and distaste for the vast majority of traditional shonen. Since this was one of the coolest kid deaths from an anime I could think of in recent memory, I figured why not?

So there we go. I've long been resisting the temptation to use the infamous "Colorado-style" scene from the first episode of Angel Cop as my Daizex icon (probably among the all time greatest gore money shots in all of anime history), but I dunno how much longer I can stave that temptation off... it may well wind up my next icon after this one.

But until then, au revoir for now. Until next avatar I suppose.
You love bloody scenes, dont you? :|

I wonder if your next avatar will be bloodier?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:21 am

Kuhan wrote:ummmm.... ever heard of Kame-Sennin?
oh, whoops! that was my old avatar... for this one:

ummmm.... ever heard of DBZ: Abridged?
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:34 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:57 am

May/Sapphire(in the manga) from Pokémon R/S/E (my favorite generation of pikimon).

A recent Pokamon discussion that took place here had revived my interest in Pokemans, and I've been playing Sapphire quite a bit lately. Music's great. Graphics are great. The color... can not be found anywhere else! [/Street Fighter II Champion Edition Promo reference]

The manga arc (Pokemon Adventures) was great as well, although I really didn't dig Brenden/Ruby's personality (he was... really feminine...:?) much, but May/Sapphire reminded me of a female Goku... Probably the whole accent and speech mannerisms, and the whole "livin' in the wild" theme going on there...(she didn't really live there, but she considered it her second home.) She also was obsessed with Pokemon battles, whereas Brenden/Ruby was obsessed with... their beauty...:lol:

Might change it to a Street Fighter one sooner or later due to my additional Street Fighter phase I am going through right now as well. I've been playing Alpha 3 on the GBA(Amazing port, and better in almost every way to the original) a ton as well, and it is as tough as nails!
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash