"Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
AndyAvenue91
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:19 am
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby AndyAvenue91 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 am

Ikazvyr wrote:Trunks reveal trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdJcJ_zjB5E

Trunks looks amazing in this! I look forward to seeing who the other two revealed characters are. Piccolo is sure to look badass, wonder who the other fighter will be? My money is on Gotenks or Beerus if they are being used for the beta.

KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:16-18 characters is my guess.

I think that's a little low, especially for a 3v3 game. If it is a roster of 18 they'll have revealed half their roster almost a year before launch, and will have half the roster in the first beta. That just doesn't seem right.

To me 24 is the sweet spot. It fits in the character select screen we've seen, it's enough to get a variety of matchups but it's not too big to be unreasonable for the devs to create.

24 would be perfect I think. If I remember rightly that is about the same as the first Budokai game had and that always felt like it had enough, although admittedly that skipped out the entire Buu arc. Now there is a much bigger cast to choose from having Super too. Frieza having his gold transformation appears to indicate we will be getting up to RF at the minimum, fingers crossed Hit and Black/Zamasu will make it in!

Slightly off topic and this is just me being nitpicky, but does anyone know if the Saiyans will be playable in their base forms? I enjoy SSJ as much as the next person, but I do like the option to fight in base (however, if their base forms would take up more character slots I'd rather we get other fighters rather than ten variations of Goku). Goku, Vegeta and Trunks already have their base shown during their intro/winning animations but I don't know if that makes the likelihood of them being playable higher or lower. I'm currently running on the assumption that we won't be able to.
Xbox GT: Andy Avenue

User avatar
KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby KorgDTR2000 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:22 am

AndyAvenue91 wrote:Slightly off topic and this is just me being nitpicky, but does anyone know if the Saiyans will be playable in their base forms? I enjoy SSJ as much as the next person, but I do like the option to fight in base (however, if their base forms would take up more character slots I'd rather we get other fighters rather than ten variations of Goku). Goku, Vegeta and Trunks already have their base shown during their intro/winning animations but I don't know if that makes the likelihood of them being playable higher or lower. I'm currently running on the assumption that we won't be able to.


If their base forms were playable they'd be separate characters. I think that's very unlikely for Vegeta and Trunks but I could see it for Goku, based on late DB and early DBZ with Kaio-ken and Genki Dama (and a full-nelson assist move). I still don't think it's likely though.

One of the things I liked from Mortal Kombat X was each character having three variations with different moves. A system like that would work very well for a Dragon Ball game.

User avatar
AndyAvenue91
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:19 am
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby AndyAvenue91 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:42 am

KorgDTR2000 wrote:If their base forms were playable they'd be separate characters. I think that's very unlikely for Vegeta and Trunks but I could see it for Goku, based on late DB and early DBZ with Kaio-ken and Genki Dama (and a full-nelson assist move). I still don't think it's likely though.

Yeah I thought that might be the case but figured here was the best place to ask as I might have missed something.

In all honesty I am that happy to finally have a proper 2D fighting game again (with those amazing graphics too!) that I can easily get over it, don't think I have been this excited for a Dragon Ball fighter since Budokai 3. Never signed up for a beta for a game before, but this one has me tempted as I really want to feel for myself how it plays. Will be checking back here regularly to see if its possible and how to sign up.
Xbox GT: Andy Avenue

User avatar
KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby KorgDTR2000 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:36 pm

AndyAvenue91 wrote:
KorgDTR2000 wrote:If their base forms were playable they'd be separate characters. I think that's very unlikely for Vegeta and Trunks but I could see it for Goku, based on late DB and early DBZ with Kaio-ken and Genki Dama (and a full-nelson assist move). I still don't think it's likely though.

Yeah I thought that might be the case but figured here was the best place to ask as I might have missed something.


I think the manga/anime comparison analyses videos indicate what alternate forms we might see.

So far Goku's animations are almost entirely based on his battles from SSJ onward, a mix of SSJ, SSJ2 and SSJ3 with only a few from the pre-SSJ fights. That means ASW could create a Base Goku form with animations distinct from the SSJ form.

By comparison, Vegeta's animations are derived mostly from his battles with #19 and Cell but also have plenty of references to his Saiyan and Namek arc days. Tellingly, his Sparking Blast animation is drawn from the explosive wave he used on Earth when he was getting his ass whooped - if Base Vegeta was in the cards I doubt they would have used that animation for SSJ Vegeta. However, there are very few Boo arc references which means Majin Vegeta is possible.

How likely Base Goku and Majin Vegeta are depends on the roster size. If it's 18? Very unlikely. 24? Possibly but a stretch. 30+? Good chance. And if not in the base game then as DLC or part of a revision.

Nickolaidas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby Nickolaidas » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Didn't the producer say in an interview that there's only going to be one version of each character?

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 2668
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby LightBing » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:21 pm

After seeing a good chunk of gameplay from tournaments at EVO. I have to say from the current six characters, Goku is the most boring by quite a bit. It seems he's a noob character.

My favourite three are Vegeta, Freeza and Cell. Seems like a great team, Vegeta's and Freeza's assists are great. Didn't see enough of Boo to say much about him.
Watching the casuals play was boring, later on when the talented people started playing it was a treat.

Managing the team and choosing it carefully will have a big role in this game.
Tournament of Power - Prediction Game - Can you read Akira Toriyama like the palm of your hand? Prove it!

cheddarsword
Regular
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:59 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby cheddarsword » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm a bit concerned about how the visuals are being taken into account more than the gameplay by some media outlets. Especially in comparison to MVCI. DBZF trounces MVCI in every area (except MAYBE roster size? does anyone have the final counts with/without DLC?) but for some reason, some tend to focus on it's visuals more.

I mean, it's not like it's a new style (GGXrd Sign, Revelator, Rev2) and they acknowledge that, but they heap praise on the game for simply looking good, when clearly it does far more than that.

Not to say that some don't praise the gameplay instead, or that the ones that primarily praise the visuals don't praise the gameplay too, but a fighting game is considered great because it plays well. Visuals are usually considered second to gameplay.

LightBing wrote:After seeing a good chunk of gameplay from tournaments at EVO. I have to say from the current six characters, Goku is the most boring by quite a bit. It seems he's a noob character.


I can't say that I am surprised nor am I bothered by this fact. I mean, he's the most appealing character so of course he's going to be an "all-rounder" and as such, boring. He's the Ryu of the game.

Odd though, I figured Vegeta would be the Ken of the game. Similar to Ryu, but a bit flashier. Nice to see that they're differentiating more than just a little.

User avatar
KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby KorgDTR2000 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Didn't the producer say in an interview that there's only going to be one version of each character?


The one thing they've really emphasized is that they're picking the cast based on popularity and, most importantly, what they can offer gameplay-wise. Multiple versions of a character isn't something that's been ruled out, if only because almost every answer in every interview so far is "maybe." I don't for a second think we'll see the Tenkaichi style of every transformation being its own character, but I'm not sure we'll so the opposite where there's only one version of every character. If a second incarnation of a character can play in a distinct way I don't think they'll turn it down out of a "no dupes" principle.

Even if ASW never follows up on it, I do think the choices made in the animations keep the door open for alternate forms such as the two I've theorized (while also locking down on others - I wouldn't expect a second form of Future Trunks as so far his animations pull from everything) and I've gotta imagine that there will be dupes somewhere in the roster by the end of the game's lifecycle, even if it's not until "Super Dragon Ball FighterZ Rev 2" comes out.

User avatar
nilcam
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:02 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby nilcam » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:49 pm

cheddarsword wrote:I'm a bit concerned about how the visuals are being taken into account more than the gameplay by some media outlets. Especially in comparison to MVCI. DBZF trounces MVCI in every area (except MAYBE roster size? does anyone have the final counts with/without DLC?) but for some reason, some tend to focus on it's visuals more.

I mean, it's not like it's a new style (GGXrd Sign, Revelator, Rev2) and they acknowledge that, but they heap praise on the game for simply looking good, when clearly it does far more than that.

Not to say that some don't praise the gameplay instead, or that the ones that primarily praise the visuals don't praise the gameplay too, but a fighting game is considered great because it plays well. Visuals are usually considered second to gameplay.


This probably seems natural since its closest rival in gameplay is Marvel vs Capcom Infinite which is being panned for being ugly. While DBFZ uses a similar engine to GG, it's definitely a step up and really looks even more amazing when compared to MvCI. DBFZ is flashier than GG due to the amount of beams being flung around. It's challenging for games media to comment on fighting games; most play fighting games at a casual level and are likely intimidated by the scrutiny of the fighting game community.

I currently play GG Rev 2 on PS3 and am debating on getting a PS4 due to DBFZ. I do think it will come to Switch at some point but I'm not sure I want to wait. Decisions, decisions.

cheddarsword
Regular
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:59 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby cheddarsword » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:41 pm

nilcam wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:I'm a bit concerned about how the visuals are being taken into account more than the gameplay by some media outlets. Especially in comparison to MVCI. DBZF trounces MVCI in every area (except MAYBE roster size? does anyone have the final counts with/without DLC?) but for some reason, some tend to focus on it's visuals more.

I mean, it's not like it's a new style (GGXrd Sign, Revelator, Rev2) and they acknowledge that, but they heap praise on the game for simply looking good, when clearly it does far more than that.

Not to say that some don't praise the gameplay instead, or that the ones that primarily praise the visuals don't praise the gameplay too, but a fighting game is considered great because it plays well. Visuals are usually considered second to gameplay.


This probably seems natural since its closest rival in gameplay is Marvel vs Capcom Infinite which is being panned for being ugly. While DBFZ uses a similar engine to GG, it's definitely a step up and really looks even more amazing when compared to MvCI. DBFZ is flashier than GG due to the amount of beams being flung around. It's challenging for games media to comment on fighting games; most play fighting games at a casual level and are likely intimidated by the scrutiny of the fighting game community.

I currently play GG Rev 2 on PS3 and am debating on getting a PS4 due to DBFZ. I do think it will come to Switch at some point but I'm not sure I want to wait. Decisions, decisions.

You would likely have to wait for it anyway with it's release being next year. If you already have the switch and DBFZ would be your only reason for getting the PS4, then I would either look to see if there's anything else on the PS4 that interests you, or just hold out. It is an expensive option as I can personally attest. I do love mine though.

And I see what you mean about games media not being able to properly report on fighting games. I suppose a place like Shoryuken might have a more gameplay centric view than a general gaming site.

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
I Live Here
Posts: 4352
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby FortuneSSJ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Supposing this game would have 20 playable characters, here's my list:

Confirmed

01- Goku
02- Gohan
03- Vegeta
04- Freeza
05- Cell
06- Majin Buu
07- FT Trunks

New

08- Piccolo
09- Krillin
10- Tenshinhan
11- C17
12- C18
13- Gotenks
14- Vegetto
15- Beerus
16- SSB Goku (ROF outfit)
17- SSB Vegeta (ROF outfit)
18- Hit
19- SSR Goku Black
20- Zamasu

This was much harder than I thought.

Next ones to be confirmed: Piccolo and Krillin.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The reason for Future Trunks blue hair in DBS:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=34624&start=420

User avatar
nato25
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 837
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby nato25 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:22 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Supposing this game would have 20 playable characters, here's my list:

Confirmed

01- Goku
02- Gohan
03- Vegeta
04- Freeza
05- Cell
06- Majin Buu
07- FT Trunks

New

08- Piccolo
09- Krillin
10- Tenshinhan
11- C17
12- C18
13- Gotenks
14- Vegetto
15- Beerus
16- SSB Goku (ROF outfit)
17- SSB Vegeta (ROF outfit)
18- Hit
19- SSR Goku Black
20- Zamasu

This was much harder than I thought.

Next ones to be confirmed: Piccolo and Krillin.


Hmm I don't see SSB Goku, Vegeta or Vegetto getting in, I'm also iffy on Hit.

If we only get 20 I would replace those 4 with:

- Bardock
- LSSJ Broly
- Yamcha
- Janemba

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 2668
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby LightBing » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:38 pm

I doubt we're going to get a lot of Super content. There's so many better characters Pre-Super and the Z in the tittle is no coincidence.

Honestly at this juncture I only want Beerus and Goku Black, one is literally the doorway into Modern Dragon Ball and an incredibly influential character, besides having enough material to create an unique fighter. Goku Black because he's the Freeza of Super, he's popular and like Beerus has enough material to create an interesting fighting character for the game.

If there's one character which should be in is Nappa, they can do so much with him. I don't know how popular he is in Japan, although his role in the story is significant enough for them to think very hard about including him.
Tournament of Power - Prediction Game - Can you read Akira Toriyama like the palm of your hand? Prove it!

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13312
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Super has been out for two years now and the new original characters have been out for over a year. I feel like Hit, Black and Zamasu are likely to show up in the game. I would imagine that they have been working on the game during the Future Trunks saga or afterwards.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

cheddarsword
Regular
Posts: 746
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:59 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby cheddarsword » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:18 am

Kind of a fan of Caulifla, so I'd like to see her. I mean, It's not a deal breaker if she's not, but I'd like to.

I think Hit's a given at this point. I know they tried to build up Jiren, and he does pique my interest, but I just don't think he's got the popularity that a character needs. Not like Hit does.

As for Frost, I'm iffy. His poison darts could be a rather entertaining mechanic, but other than those, he's just a color swap of Freeza. I think they even share the same VA in the Japanese dub. If they added him, they would have to make him pretty unique, or it'll be Marth Vs. Lucina all over again. Same goes for Cooler.

Kale is out. She has to be. And I say that as an adamant fan. Why? Because in a Dragon Ball fighting game where the roster is chosen based on popularity, you just KNOW Broly's going to be playable and it would just be a female version of him. Now, I wouldn't be against her being an alt. costume for Broly, but that's as far as I'd take her. And honestly, I and probably everyone else, prefer Broly when comparing the two. He is after all, berserker done right.

I'd like to see Zangya, but that's mostly just because I like me some ladies. Also, there aren't that many popular female characters that can actually fight at the levels being shown in action.

User avatar
MisteryOne
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:27 am
Location: Spain

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby MisteryOne » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:21 am

Trunks looks awesome. About the two new characters, I don't expect anything really surprising. Probably Piccolo or Krillin, or Piccolo and Tien if he truly is in the game.

As for Super characters, Beerus will probably make the cut. Apart from that, Goku Black and Hit are the more likely ones. The rest, specially the ones from US saga, don't a have a posibility. I mean, I would like to see Jiiren/Toppo or Caulifla, but how would you work out an entire moveset from them? And the game was probably started way before we knew about the saga.
The Universe Survival Arc won't live the hype. The only Super arc that has actually been as good as people trough it was going to be was the Zamasu arc, which actually was millions of times better than what everyone trough, because the idea of an evil Goku in Trunk's future didn't seen like a good idea at all. But in the end it was fantastic.

Bringing back the SS-SS2-SS3 forms was a huge mistake.

English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:44 am

Stuff like this is what gets me excited to see pros at this game go at it at events such as EVO. I still can't believe that this game is a thing that exists.
Vegeta + Kakarotto = Vegetto
Vegeta + Kakarot = Vegito ...what?

User avatar
Simere
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby Simere » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:08 am

MisteryOne wrote:Trunks looks awesome. About the two new characters, I don't expect anything really surprising. Probably Piccolo or Krillin, or Piccolo and Tien if he truly is in the game.

As for Super characters, Beerus will probably make the cut. Apart from that, Goku Black and Hit are the more likely ones. The rest, specially the ones from US saga, don't a have a posibility. I mean, I would like to see Jiiren/Toppo or Caulifla, but how would you work out an entire moveset from them? And the game was probably started way before we knew about the saga.


I'm not holding out much hope for them in the base game, but it's not like the developers are us. They don't have to wait until the episodes air to see Jiren and Caulifla fight before starting development; they could have had access to reference material for them since last year. The US arc was started way before we knew about it too.

User avatar
AndyAvenue91
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:19 am
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby AndyAvenue91 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:13 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Supposing this game would have 20 playable characters, here's my list:

Confirmed

01- Goku
02- Gohan
03- Vegeta
04- Freeza
05- Cell
06- Majin Buu
07- FT Trunks

New

08- Piccolo
09- Krillin
10- Tenshinhan
11- C17
12- C18
13- Gotenks
14- Vegetto
15- Beerus
16- SSB Goku (ROF outfit)
17- SSB Vegeta (ROF outfit)
18- Hit
19- SSR Goku Black
20- Zamasu

This was much harder than I thought.

Next ones to be confirmed: Piccolo and Krillin.

I would be quite happy with this list in all honesty. It all depends how far they are willing to go in to Super, we know Golden Frieza is in as a transformation so we may get SSB Goku and Vegeta. However as they don't really do much different from the regular SSJ (very similar movesets) I can see them leaving them out for other characters. If Super is included then I would hope for the above, if not then I would replace the last five with Z characters:

16 - Yamcha
17 - Nappa
18 - Ginyu
19 - Dabura
20 - Super or Kid Buu

However, I think it's pretty likely that Bardock and Broly will be in there, they seem to be popular choices in games. I don't care for Broly personally but I used to enjoy playing as Bardock.
Xbox GT: Andy Avenue

User avatar
BrolyKale
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Postby BrolyKale » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:37 am

Is there a chance for broly to be in the game? or will they just add canon-characters?


Return to “Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests