"(Super) Dragon Ball Heroes" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: "(Super) Dragon Ball Heroes" Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:54 am

Cipher wrote:Do any Heroes historians know what the first non-"canon" transformation added to the card-line/arcade game was? Relevant to the in-progress Kanzenshuu Wiki. I want to say it was Super Saiyan Bardock, but I feel like there might have been a game-only Super Saiyan 3 somewhere beforehand. If you know the actual card and set number, that would be helpful too.

Trying to lay out distinctions for which characters the series does and does not distinguish with the "Xeno" suffix (which is somewhat arbitrary, but generally appears to apply to characters with histories unique to the game but who have main series counterparts, and for whom the distinction isn't simply a game-only transformation).
You might be thinking of Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta and Super Saiyan 3 Broli, which were added to Dragon Battlers pre-Dragon Ball Heroes (alongside Raging Blast 2, which we also cover in at least one of those news posts).

The earliest Heroes new, non-canonical Super Saiyan 3 transformation I can remember was Super Saiyan 3 Trunks. Don't have a link handy for that (I'm not sure we explicitly covered it?), but here's a Super Saiyan 3 Gogeta post in June 2012 noting Trunks from a year prior. I remember he was shown off in one of the PVs/openings for an update...?

As for Bardock, all the hints began in June 2011, leading up to Episode of Bardock and the "Special Selection DVD" and the actual Heroes stuff in the subsequent months.

So maybe Trunks...?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:04 am

Cipher wrote:Do any Heroes historians know what the first non-"canon" transformation added to the card-line/arcade game was? Relevant to the in-progress Kanzenshuu Wiki. I want to say it was Super Saiyan Bardock, but I feel like there might have been a game-only Super Saiyan 3 somewhere beforehand. If you know the actual card and set number, that would be helpful too.

Trying to lay out distinctions for which characters the series does and does not distinguish with the "Xeno" suffix (which is somewhat arbitrary, but generally appears to apply to characters with histories unique to the game but who have main series counterparts, and for whom the distinction isn't simply a game-only transformation).
Pretty sure it's SS3 Future Trunks. Bardock's transformation came later since I don't think the Time Breakers were that prevelant at first

Looking at the trailers too, Trunks comes before any other What0if transformation for some time
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:06 am

VegettoEX wrote:You might be thinking of Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta and Super Saiyan 3 Broli, which were added to Dragon Battlers pre-Dragon Ball Heroes (alongside Raging Blast 2, which we also cover in at least one of those news posts).

The earliest Heroes new, non-canonical Super Saiyan 3 transformation I can remember was Super Saiyan 3 Trunks. Don't have a link handy for that (I'm not sure we explicitly covered it?), but here's a Super Saiyan 3 Gogeta post in June 2012 noting Trunks from a year prior. I remember he was shown off in one of the PVs/openings for an update...?

As for Bardock, all the hints began in June 2011, leading up to Episode of Bardock and the "Special Selection DVD" and the actual Heroes stuff in the subsequent months.

So maybe Trunks...?
This is a good start--really just needed a direction to narrow down the card sets I had to dig through on the official website. Thanks.

EDIT -- It's Trunks. Two Super Saiyan 3 cards in the H3 set, debuting one set ahead of Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta (borrowed from Raging Blast 2), and two sets ahead of Super Saiyan Bardock.
Kanassa wrote:Pretty sure it's SS3 Future Trunks. Bardock's transformation came later since I don't think the Time Breakers were that prevelant at first
None of the "Time Breaker" (a term never actually used within Heroes) content occurred until the God Mission update, quite a ways after Heroes' launch, but Super Saiyan Bardock (as distinct from Bardock: Xeno) was around quite a while beforehand, promoted through Episode of Bardock, as Mike noted.

Also, this is my working list of "Xeno" criteria, if anyone who's followed the game for a while wants to weigh in:
  • Has a history unique to Heroes
  • Has a main-series counterpart
  • That unique history is not simply a unique transformation; must be foregrounded in the games' storylines
  • It is also not part of a campaign separate from Hereos' main storylines, a la the Societal Survival campaign
  • Sometimes none of the above applies because fuck you here's Broly Dark, even though his dad is Paragus: Xeno

S3 Hendrix
Regular

Post by S3 Hendrix » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:33 am

Cipher wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:You might be thinking of Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta and Super Saiyan 3 Broli, which were added to Dragon Battlers pre-Dragon Ball Heroes (alongside Raging Blast 2, which we also cover in at least one of those news posts).

So maybe Trunks...?
This is a good start--really just needed a direction to narrow down the card sets I had to dig through on the official website. Thanks.

EDIT -- It's Trunks. Two Super Saiyan 3 cards in the H3 set, debuting one set ahead of Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta (borrowed from Raging Blast 2), and two sets ahead of Super Saiyan Bardock.
Kanassa wrote:Pretty sure it's SS3 Future Trunks. Bardock's transformation came later since I don't think the Time Breakers were that prevelant at first
None of the "Time Breaker" (a term never actually used within Heroes) content occurred until the God Mission update, quite a ways after Heroes' launch, but Super Saiyan Bardock (as distinct from Bardock: Xeno) was around quite a while beforehand, promoted through Episode of Bardock, as Mike noted.

Also, this is my working list of "Xeno" criteria, if anyone who's followed the game for a while wants to weigh in:
  • That unique history is not simply a unique transformation; must be foregrounded in the games' storylines
  • It is also not part of a campaign separate from Hereos' main storylines, a la the Societal Survival campaign
  • Sometimes none of the above applies because fuck you here's Broly Dark, even though his dad is Paragus: Xeno
Yo hit me up if you need any info, I’ve been following and playing the game since its release in 2010 and have a lot of the guide books(yes I do have the 5th anniversary guide as well.)

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:43 am

S3 Hendrix wrote:
Cipher wrote:

So maybe Trunks...?

Yo hit me up if you need any info, I’ve been following and playing the game since its release in 2010 and have a lot of the guide books(yes I do have the 5th anniversary guide as well.)
Sorry to bother, but who exactly is the most interesting character with Xeno in his or her own name?

S3 Hendrix
Regular

Post by S3 Hendrix » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:02 am

Steven Bloodriver wrote:
S3 Hendrix wrote:
Cipher wrote: This is a good start--really just needed a direction to narrow down the card sets I had to dig through on the official website. Thanks.

Sorry to bother, but who exactly is the most interesting character with Xeno in his or her own name?
It depends what you mean by “interesting” do you mean who has the most back story? Or who does the most things? Backstory wise trunks xeno and bardock xeno in heroes we fully know both their back stories(trunks is just trunks: future from up to the point after he defeated Cell in his own timeline he got recruited into the time patrol, we know bardock:xeno’s story because of SDBH2 it’s kinda a mix of DBMinus and BTFOG special with more elements from minus. Now for doing the most in story would either go to Trunks: xeno, Goku: xeno or Vegeta: xeno. But there’s also ones that didn’t last long like the xeno shadow dragons, broli dark, turles xeno etc..

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 pm

So according to some uncited source on TVTropes, apparently Hearts is implied to be one of Bojack's race. I cant even find any footage with him in, so if there is a link to youtube where I can see him or if anyone can confirm he is, that would be cool.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:54 pm

Really looking forward to the finished Kanzenshuu Wiki. Especially the Dragon Ball Heroes and SDBH sections. Are we finally getting a proper database of information that is sectioned properly by continuities, timelines, and official facts?
mahakaishin1991 wrote:So according to some uncited source on TVTropes, apparently Hearts is implied to be one of Bojack's race. I cant even find any footage with him in, so if there is a link to youtube where I can see him or if anyone can confirm he is, that would be cool.
Don't think that's been implied anywhere. At least not from UM6.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:32 am

Rakurai wrote:Really looking forward to the finished Kanzenshuu Wiki. Especially the Dragon Ball Heroes and SDBH sections. Are we finally getting a proper database of information that is sectioned properly by continuities, timelines, and official facts?
I can't say exactly how fleshed out the DBH corner will be by launch, but yes, every single thing going onto it is backed up by at least one official source--typically Japanese ones. And everyone involved is interested in keeping things clearly separated and identified, such that video-game continuities don't bleed into manga and anime ones, etc. One of the goals is to keep everything as clear as possible for readers.

On that note, here are a handful of translations from the 8th anniversary guide I did for the "Xeno" umbrella article:
Most of them are barely fleshed out and just trade on familiarity with their main-series versions. I guess, to me, it'd be Goku, since it's interesting to see a take on the character that actually is more along the lines of the traditional superhero figure fans of the movies and FUNimation's earlier adaptations sometimes make him out to be.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Cipher wrote:And everyone involved is interested in keeping things clearly separated and identified, such that video-game continuities don't bleed into manga and anime ones, etc.
Huh... Probably might not be in your "translation jurisdiction" for Wiki but that's one of the point of Dragon Ball Online. If such game will make it to the wiki, of course. Gonna have to discuss it eventually in a more appropriate thread or in the wiki itself.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:36 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Cipher wrote:And everyone involved is interested in keeping things clearly separated and identified, such that video-game continuities don't bleed into manga and anime ones, etc.
Huh... Probably might not be in your "translation jurisdiction" for Wiki but that's one of the point of Dragon Ball Online. If such game will make it to the wiki, of course. Gonna have to discuss it eventually in a more appropriate thread or in the wiki itself.
Without getting too off-topic, yes, Online is absolutely something that will make it onto the Wiki at some point (as is basically anything DB-related). But, like, for something like that, while Online-specific articles would make it clear that the game was presented as following up on the original manga, you wouldn't see Online-specific details popping up in other articles without something clearly highlighting the fact that they were specific to Online. I think the approach for major character articles, for example, is usually going to be to have different fictional exploits clearly broken out into different sections for the main series, movies, video-games, etc. So no one should ever be left scratching their head about what comes from what or what's in continuity with anything else.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:19 pm

that last commercial of 8 minutes was terrible much nerf to hit, the only thing that can say is that I found it interesting that beech Tuffles in the Universe 6

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:12 am

Cipher wrote:
Rakurai wrote:Really looking forward to the finished Kanzenshuu Wiki. Especially the Dragon Ball Heroes and SDBH sections. Are we finally getting a proper database of information that is sectioned properly by continuities, timelines, and official facts?
I can't say exactly how fleshed out the DBH corner will be by launch, but yes, every single thing going onto it is backed up by at least one official source--typically Japanese ones. And everyone involved is interested in keeping things clearly separated and identified, such that video-game continuities don't bleed into manga and anime ones, etc. One of the goals is to keep everything as clear as possible for readers.

On that note, here are a handful of translations from the 8th anniversary guide I did for the "Xeno" umbrella article:
Most of them are barely fleshed out and just trade on familiarity with their main-series versions. I guess, to me, it'd be Goku, since it's interesting to see a take on the character that actually is more along the lines of the traditional superhero figure fans of the movies and FUNimation's earlier adaptations sometimes make him out to be.
Thanks for all of your hard work. I'd be interested in attempting to translate tidbits as well but it seems like you have everything under control (and I'm not as good or fast as you are).

And at last we can finally debunk rumors that Xenoverse and Heroes are the same by virtue of "Character: Xeno."
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:21 am

One more question for Heroes historians: I see it cited on the DB Wiki that the "Demigra Assault arc" (or "Demon God Demigra Assault arc") takes place after Goku and Vegeta Xenos investigation of the Prison Planet, which--sure--seems reasonable, but was this ever actually cited anywhere? Even the 8th anniversary guide's story overview doesn't seem to mention it, as far as I can tell. Did this come from game dialogue? Long-lost promotional material? Something the DB Wiki absolutely should have cited but didn't because just whatever, I guess?

Worst-case scenario, I can try to dig up a whole video of a playthrough to see if it's mentioned, but I'm hoping someone already knows. Or is it just a best-guess assumption that's been passed around?

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:07 pm

Cipher wrote:One more question for Heroes historians: I see it cited on the DB Wiki that the "Demigra Assault arc" (or "Demon God Demigra Assault arc") takes place after Goku and Vegeta Xenos investigation of the Prison Planet, which--sure--seems reasonable, but was this ever actually cited anywhere? Even the 8th anniversary guide's story overview doesn't seem to mention it, as far as I can tell. Did this come from game dialogue? Long-lost promotional material? Something the DB Wiki absolutely should have cited but didn't because just whatever, I guess?

Worst-case scenario, I can try to dig up a whole video of a playthrough to see if it's mentioned, but I'm hoping someone already knows. Or is it just a best-guess assumption that's been passed around?
I believe it's an assumption made by us based on what we can piece. I thought for sure it was going to be mentioned in the 8th anniversary guide but I guess not.

I swore I could've read that someone here confirmed that Prison Planet takes place after Mechikabura's return at least, based on the 8th anniversary guide.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:55 pm

I wonder how long it will be till we see Moro turn up in this game

S3 Hendrix
Regular

Post by S3 Hendrix » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Cipher wrote:One more question for Heroes historians: I see it cited on the DB Wiki that the "Demigra Assault arc" (or "Demon God Demigra Assault arc") takes place after Goku and Vegeta Xenos investigation of the Prison Planet, which--sure--seems reasonable, but was this ever actually cited anywhere? Even the 8th anniversary guide's story overview doesn't seem to mention it, as far as I can tell. Did this come from game dialogue? Long-lost promotional material? Something the DB Wiki absolutely should have cited but didn't because just whatever, I guess?

I’m almost 99% positive prison planet takes place AFTER Mechikabura’s return. For one look at this dialogue from the start of UVM3 demigra assault arc( https://youtu.be/NzIvdreJy_w ) demigra attacks the time nest right after the kaioshin of time sealed herself and mechikabura. Also In the 8th anniversary guide book’s Story Digest portion of the book says demigra attacks after mechikabura gets sealed

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:35 am

S3 Hendrix wrote:

I’m almost 99% positive prison planet takes place AFTER Mechikabura’s return. For one look at this dialogue from the start of UVM3 demigra assault arc( https://youtu.be/NzIvdreJy_w ) demigra attacks the time nest right after the kaioshin of time sealed herself and mechikabura. Also In the 8th anniversary guide book’s Story Digest portion of the book says demigra attacks after mechikabura gets sealed
Yeah, but that is something that always bugs me. It makes it seem like Chronoa's time Maze thing was nothing to Mechi, and he just breaks out no hassle. Doesnt give a sense of hype that his return is so ominous if he's been gone for all of five of freeza's minutes.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:53 pm

S3 Hendrix wrote:I’m almost 99% positive prison planet takes place AFTER Mechikabura’s return. For one look at this dialogue from the start of UVM3 demigra assault arc( https://youtu.be/NzIvdreJy_w ) demigra attacks the time nest right after the kaioshin of time sealed herself and mechikabura. Also In the 8th anniversary guide book’s Story Digest portion of the book says demigra attacks after mechikabura gets sealed
Right--after Mechickaboola gets sealed. The thing that seems unconfirmed is whether it takes places before or after Goku and Vegeta Xeno's trip to the Prison Planet. The story pages in the 8th anniversary book just set it in the middle--since it's organized around set number rather than strict story content, and cites the events of the Dark Empire arc with no word about the business on Prison Planet.

I know it's after the Dark Empire arc; no question. It doesn't seem like any official sources specify a placement for it in relation to the Prison Prison Planet arc, though--and as that's rather inconsequential to the ongoing Time Patrol story, they probably never will. (Again, I think it's reasonable to assume it happens afterward, especially with the tease of Mechickaboola's return at the end, but technically they could pop over to Prison Planet after driving off Demigra and before meeting Mechickaboola again, so there's not enough to, like, definitely say as far as a Wiki entry goes, which is what I was looking for.)

Edit -- Hm. The dialogue in the video actually might imply it's before Prison Planet, since--like you noted, it could be pretty reasonably read as taking place directly after the battles in the Demon Realm. Trunks and Old Kaioshin are discussing ways to free the Kaioshin of Time, and Old Kaioshin says that Goku and Vegeta are still recovering from their earlier battle (they take the brunt of the damage there). On the other hand, nothing says they couldn't be having this discussion some time afterward, Old Kaioshin is the one who gave Goku and Vegeta their Potara prior to their trip to the Prison Planet, and his dialogue could certainly refer to them recovering from their fight against Cumber as well. Seems like there are bits that could place it on either side, but as the Prison Planet arc wasn't finished by the time this arc both began and concluded, it was probably left intentionally vague.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:12 pm

Cipher wrote:
S3 Hendrix wrote:I’m almost 99% positive prison planet takes place AFTER Mechikabura’s return. For one look at this dialogue from the start of UVM3 demigra assault arc( https://youtu.be/NzIvdreJy_w ) demigra attacks the time nest right after the kaioshin of time sealed herself and mechikabura. Also In the 8th anniversary guide book’s Story Digest portion of the book says demigra attacks after mechikabura gets sealed
Right--after Mechickaboola gets sealed. The thing that seems unconfirmed is whether it takes places before or after Goku and Vegeta Xeno's trip to the Prison Planet. The story pages in the 8th anniversary book just set it in the middle--since it's organized around set number rather than strict story content, and cites the events of the Dark Empire arc with no word about the business on Prison Planet.

I know it's after the Dark Empire arc; no question. It doesn't seem like any official sources specify a placement for it in relation to the Prison Prison Planet arc, though--and as that's rather inconsequential to the ongoing Time Patrol story, they probably never will. (Again, I think it's reasonable to assume it happens afterward, especially with the tease of Mechickaboola's return at the end, but technically they could pop over to Prison Planet after driving off Demigra and before meeting Mechickaboola again, so there's not enough to, like, definitely say as far as a Wiki entry goes, which is what I was looking for.)

Edit -- Hm. The dialogue in the video actually might imply it's before Prison Planet, since--like you noted, it could be pretty reasonably read as taking place directly after the battles in the Demon Realm. Trunks and Old Kaioshin are discussing ways to free the Kaioshin of Time, and Old Kaioshin says that Goku and Vegeta are still recovering from their earlier battle (they take the brunt of the damage there). On the other hand, nothing says they couldn't be having this discussion some time afterward, Old Kaioshin is the one who gave Goku and Vegeta their Potara prior to their trip to the Prison Planet, and his dialogue could certainly refer to them recovering from their fight against Cumber as well. Seems like there are bits that could place it on either side, but as the Prison Planet arc wasn't finished by the time this arc both began and concluded, it was probably left intentionally vague.
Part of me wonders if it is intentionally vague so they can decide on how to connect things with future content later