DBZ: Ultimate Blast/Tenkaichi (Pre-Release Discussion)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShinMassa
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi (Pre-Release Discussio

Post by ShinMassa » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:56 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Well, Soul Calibur IV almost had 2 customization modes. One was that you could customize, say Ivy for example; to the point of her wearing a pink magician's hat and actual pants, however her name was still Ivy. Then you have your own creations that you can name, change the look, and adjust the stats a bit; however they still followed the other character's template.
And that's probably what they're doing.

Animefreak1325
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Animefreak1325 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:33 am

Where was it said that this is Spike's last DBZ game? Because I never heard about this until people started bringing it up.

Patient-mental
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patient-mental » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:17 am

Apparently they are on a three year contract(?) which ends at the end of this year I think. (I could be completely wrong)

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:23 pm

What big differences are you guys talking about? I see the same thing we've seen before. Just a few cosmetic differences.
El Conejo Malo

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:37 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:They don't really bug me anymore because I don't think most of them REALLY are QTEs. If you pay close attention to the gameplay, most of the prompts seem to be just telling you how to do things we already know how to do from previous games, Spike just put them on the screen for people who don't know their combat options. My biggest problem is that most of these actions are now pre-renders scenes that almost seem to link into each other using the same angles over and over again., that and the fact that the gameplay speed slows down every ten seconds to let those unfamiliar with the gameplay think about what they want to do during said scenes... -.-
Well yeah I guess you and I are on the same page, I was just summing everything up as Quick Time Events.

Also a cool idea I have is since one of there focuses is on boss battles, the focus shouldnt just be on giants because those arent the only unique type of battle in the series that took place outside of plain one on one fights. I think they should have a part where they elaborate on the scene in Movie 6 when all the Metal Coola's show up, only in the game instead of just having Goku and Vegeta create an big energy explosion we should be able to fight the thousands of Coola's in a fashion similar to Heavenly Sword for about a minute and a half or so.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Bardo117 wrote:What big differences are you guys talking about? I see the same thing we've seen before. Just a few cosmetic differences.
Haven't seen too many gameplay vids have you there bud?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:12 pm

I would like to see the character creation mode in full action before I make a full judgement on it. It sounds like they are going for a SC4 character creation mode. I hope it will be fun, I have create DB characters in other video games before. I remember when I create Trunks in Tony Hawk Underground 2 before.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:11 pm

Bardo117 wrote:What big differences are you guys talking about? I see the same thing we've seen before. Just a few cosmetic differences.
Huh? This is a completely different style of game. What you just said is like saying "I don't see the difference between the game play in Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 13"

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:13 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Huh? This is a completely different style of game. What you just said is like saying "I don't see the difference between the game play in Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 13"
Face it people are not gonna change their minds regardless to the contray if they are set to one way. Move along and let them be.

I am glad they have found a way to make the energy blasts less spammy while at the same time more destructive. Also, sound sthe the QTE is only for certain modes. Hmm.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:42 pm

The only thing I'm disliking so far is the actual gameplay... y'know, that one key element of PLAYING GAMES.

I'm pretty sure Spike opted to completely overhaul the entire combo system into a QTE apocalypse because they were too lazy to actually fix game breaking mechanics that would allow a player to chain together a virtually unblockable 50+ hit combo for 40K damage. This has been an issue in every single Sparking and Raging Blast game. Infinite loop combos, countless unblockable massive combos.

So instead of adding some sort of actual system for breaking combo chains or defending yourself outside of Wild Sense (which is more or less used by offensive players to dodge any possible attempt at ending their onslaught as opposed to defensive players trying to dodge said onslaught), they removed the meat of the combat system entirely. That way there can be no inconceivably long strings of combos because there are no combos to speak of.

Budokai 3's dodging system would have worked wonders. Simply tap the button to dodge the punch or kick. Leaving characters exposed and defenseless after being hit by a Super Attack was also entirely unacceptable, as it made it too easy to just lock the defensive player down and just decimate him with a string of supers and short bursts of actual combat to regain ki without charging it.

But NOPE. Now all we get is QTEs. Can't wait for the demo to come out so I can watch movies of movies where someone lands a 99+ hit combo with Teen Gohan within an hour of it hitting the marketplace. Calling it now.

mysticboy

Post by mysticboy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:25 am

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:too lazy to actually fix game breaking mechanics that would allow a player to chain together a virtually unblockable 50+ hit combo for 40K damage. This has been an issue in every single Sparking and Raging Blast game. Infinite loop combos, countless unblockable massive combos.
That's exactly what they're doing with the QTEs. The game is now less about combos and more about being strategic and tactical.

ShinMassa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinMassa » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:23 am

mysticboy wrote:
Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:too lazy to actually fix game breaking mechanics that would allow a player to chain together a virtually unblockable 50+ hit combo for 40K damage. This has been an issue in every single Sparking and Raging Blast game. Infinite loop combos, countless unblockable massive combos.
That's exactly what they're doing with the QTEs. The game is now less about combos and more about being strategic and tactical.
Which seems like the better choice, but hey, opinions are opinions.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:34 am

Honestly the combos or whatever you wanna call them, makes Spike look like they're trying too hard to mimic the "Dragon Rush" from B3.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:35 am

mysticboy wrote:
But honestly, if QTE's are a big part of the game, they are going to kill the whole experience. It's no longer a fighting game...hell it isn't even a game; it's just mindless button pressing. Remember all those rock paper scissors Dragon Rush moves from Budokai 3 that got old fast; same thing!
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:30 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
mysticboy wrote:
But honestly, if QTE's are a big part of the game, they are going to kill the whole experience. It's no longer a fighting game...hell it isn't even a game; it's just mindless button pressing. Remember all those rock paper scissors Dragon Rush moves from Budokai 3 that got old fast; same thing!

That's exactly what I think. And since you just have to press the right button ([] or ^) to dodge an attack or to succeed a "5+ hit combo" I don't see how that is more strategic and tactical in any way. It just depends on luck now. Simply hoping that your opponent does not press the same button to succeed is not tactical. It just gets old and annoying really fast because if you just simply have no luck (which can't be anyone's fault) you won't succeed in some aspects of those QTEs. This leads to frustration. What does Spike think, that we can read other player's minds while playing against them?
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

mysticboy

Post by mysticboy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:35 pm

IDK. I never really got tired of the Dragon Rush sequences (probably because I didn't use it too much). But I still hope there's an option to turn the QTEs off.
At least it's not like those fucking Drama Pieces though.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:too lazy
Sigh, I give up.

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:08 pm

This is nonsense. I can´t understand.
People complain about dragon rush but loves L2+up+triangle ...... ¬¬

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:41 pm

NECPS wrote:This is nonsense. I can´t understand.
People complain about dragon rush but loves L2+up+triangle ...... ¬¬
What's so hard to understand? Pressing buttons to perform an attack is pretty much the standard. Rock Paper Scissors matches in the middle of a fight are not. Of course some people prefer it a different way than you. That isn't nonsense. That's normal.
Last edited by Eddie on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shin_Chou_Senshi

Post by Shin_Chou_Senshi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:14 am

InfernalVegito wrote:
That's exactly what I think. And since you just have to press the right button ([] or ^) to dodge an attack or to succeed a "5+ hit combo" I don't see how that is more strategic and tactical in any way. It just depends on luck now. Simply hoping that your opponent does not press the same button to succeed is not tactical. It just gets old and annoying really fast because if you just simply have no luck (which can't be anyone's fault) you won't succeed in some aspects of those QTEs. This leads to frustration. What does Spike think, that we can read other player's minds while playing against them?

I honestly don't think everything is QTE. This the demo we're talking about. The button prompts are their to guide players in it's early development. It's too early to tell and the game just looks super fun. Anyone sayiing that this isn't a fighting needs to understand that fighting games are starting to vary in exceution. This isn't Street Fighter like I stress. I HAVE Street Fighter if I want that kind of game. Considering this is DBZ, it has to be unorthodox. That's simply it's nature

These players playing at the expo don't have a clue of what they are doing.... that's understandble. The only thing repeatative is them abusing what they feel is working for them, the gameplay is well versed to avoid that.
" I may treasure peace, but I am VERY GOOD at makin' war. " -Ororo Munroe codename: Storm

" DBZ fans are sadly their own worst enemies. They take hardcore to unrealistic heights. IT'S OVER NI... you know. " (--_-- ) -Shin_Chou_Senshi