Current-Gen Spike Games compared to Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Current-Gen Spike Games compared to Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Post by Leotaku » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:34 pm

I often see people comparing the current-generation Spike games to Budokai Tenkaichi 3 / Sparking! Meteor.
Why do some people consider that game to still be the best of the Spike games? I know people have different opinions and some people DON'T consider it the best, but it does seem to be the more common opinion.

I haven't really played any of the DragonBall games on current systems myself. At most, I've briefly tried the demos for Burst Limit and Raging Blast 1 and 2 but they weren't really enough to form a fair opinion on. So I'm asking partly out of curiousity, but also kinda wondering if any of the more recent Spike games are worth getting. I'll probably pick up Ultimate Tenkaichi sometime, but I've always wondered what was "wrong" with Raging Blast 1 and 2 that people seemed to prefer Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

The last DragonBall game I played through was Infinite World when it came out, but my favourite was Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (then followed by Super DragonBall Z).

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Re: Current-Gen Spike Games compared to Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Post by InfernalVegito » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:09 pm

BT3 has "everything".
Biggest character roster in any DB game to date. Most of them have various costumes, that were also in the series.
The gameplay is fast and has many diverse combos that are more or less "hard" to master.

That's just my opinion why I consider BT3 the best DB game so far.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:46 am

InfernalVegito wrote:BT3 has "everything".
Biggest character roster in any DB game to date. Most of them have various costumes, that were also in the series.
The gameplay is fast and has many diverse combos that are more or less "hard" to master.

That's just my opinion why I consider BT3 the best DB game so far.
Totally agree with you.BT3 has the best sales results among all DBZ games for a good reason.
A good company would just keep the gameplay and at the same time add more characters and new features,but they changed everything for worse.
IMO all Spike games after BT3 are garbage. :lol: :lol:

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:24 pm

It's the roster. Losing half of the characters to gain one, even if it's one you really like, is a bum deal.

I don't really care about the controls or fighting system (unless it's just godawful obviously) when the roster is cut down to the basics that every DBZ game has.

BT3 - Pink SS Broly and Combined Pilaf Machine vs Devilman and Mystic Yardrat Goku! Nail and Appule vs Orange 'n' Lime Oozaru Vegeta!

RB - um....goku vs vegeta.....goku vs freeza....gohan vs cell....SS3 Vegeta!...but play his what-if and you've covered it already, and you can't even have him beat up Mystic Gohan because they forgot him.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:53 am

So it's mostly just about content? Is the actual gameplay significantly different in the Raging Blast series?

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:28 pm

Leotaku wrote:So it's mostly just about content? Is the actual gameplay significantly different in the Raging Blast series?
No. Only the controls and the pace are different.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:49 pm

There are many reasons people make the comparison to BT3 and the Raging Blast series.

The biggest reason is basically what Rocketman said. They took characters away. We went from having basically having every character possible to going back to (Dimp's) Budokai 2's roster. To add insult to industry, characters we've seen in BT3 were added into Raging Blast 2 as "never before seen characters" in the series.

Another thing, and this was a big one for me, a total revamp of the control schemes(a different set up for each RB game at that) just because they could.
We aren't talking about for the better either, a lot of the controls were just down right stupid in comparison to the BT set-up. Now, I will be the first to tell you that I'm not the biggest fan of Spike styled fighting games but I can tell you that BT3's control scheme was solid; I could pick up the game and have a good time. For Raging Blast everything is ass backwards.

Because of all of this, I feel the Raging Blast series has been nothing more then a way to extort money from fans of the franchise in an insulting matter. Namco Bandai thinks we're willing to buy anything as long as Dragonball is on the cover. Granted, it's hard to find new ways to market something you've already gone all out on in a PS2 game but that is no excuse as to why the next gen systems should have less content.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:20 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:There are many reasons people make the comparison to BT3 and the Raging Blast series.

The biggest reason is basically what Rocketman said. They took characters away. We went from having basically having every character possible to going back to (Dimp's) Budokai 2's roster. To add insult to industry, characters we've seen in BT3 were added into Raging Blast 2 as "never before seen characters" in the series.

Another thing, and this was a big one for me, a total revamp of the control schemes(a different set up for each RB game at that) just because they could.
We aren't talking about for the better either, a lot of the controls were just down right stupid in comparison to the BT set-up. Now, I will be the first to tell you that I'm not the biggest fan of Spike styled fighting games but I can tell you that BT3's control scheme was solid; I could pick up the game and have a good time. For Raging Blast everything is ass backwards.

Because of all of this, I feel the Raging Blast series has been nothing more then a way to extort money from fans of the franchise in an insulting matter. Namco Bandai thinks we're willing to buy anything as long as Dragonball is on the cover. Granted, it's hard to find new ways to market something you've already gone all out on in a PS2 game but that is no excuse as to why the next gen systems should have less content.
They have 1 year to dev and the current gen are no way just easy to dev on. In fact the ps3 in general was the hardest due to some stupid decisions from Sony. The blame doesn't just lie on Spike who are only doing the best they can with 1 year but also on Namco and Shue. Its like Spike has become the punching bag while the other companies get off scott-free in terms of fan reaction.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:32 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:
They have 1 year to dev and the current gen are no way just easy to dev on. In fact the ps3 in general was the hardest due to some stupid decisions from Sony. The blame doesn't just lie on Spike who are only doing the best they can with 1 year but also on Namco and Shue. Its like Spike has become the punching bag while the other companies get off scott-free in terms of fan reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQA ... 4C98097426

No but seriously...

These are all excuses; excuses that don't change the poor production value of the game. They had only a year apart with the BT games and yet those games were still solid games. They were what you would expect in a decent anime game and each one got better. The RB games well...didn't.

Also, please to pull that Sony dev kit bull crap. Yes they were a pain to work with, but that was only during the first year of it's existence; you know, when no one knew anything about the system. That excuses is crap considering Raging Blast came out THREE YEARS AFTER THE PS3 WAS CREATED and a year after Bust Limit.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:38 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
Saimaroimaru wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQA ... 4C98097426

No but seriously...

These are all excuses; excuses that don't change the poor production value of the game. They had only a year apart with the BT games and yet those games were still solid games. They were what you would expect in a decent anime game and each one got better. The RB games well...didn't.

Also, please to pull that Sony dev kit bull crap. Yes they were a pain to work with, but that was only during the first year of it's existence; you know, when no one knew anything about the system. That excuses is crap considering Raging Blast came out THREE YEARS AFTER THE PS3 WAS CREATED and a year after Bust Limit.
Its still is the hardest to dev for despite what they have done since then. There are not excuses they are fact. Spike + 1 year + current gen = bad production. Why do you think Namco has been asking Shue for more than 1 year for a while? Because Spike needs more time to dev games on the current gen. The ps2 is a cake walk compared to the current gen(are you seriously saying the ps2 and the ps3 are the same in terms of difficulty to dev for, lol please don't go down this road), so please don't use the previous gen dev cycle as an excuse to put all the blame on Spike, everyone involved including the fans themselves are to blame for the lackluster RB series, aka no story mode and change of controls, yes that too since that is a reason why there was a change between RB2 and UT.

FYI, it had more to with cutting off some things from the ps2 stuff and changing others that they couldn't use on the data completely on the Ps3, thus why it wasn't a simple thing as importing the data over to the ps3 and going from there. The ps2 and ps3 might as well been from different companies and they have only changed that fact only somewhat.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:
Its still is the hardest to dev for despite what they have done since then. There are not excuses they are fact. Spike + 1 year + current gen = bad production. Why do you think Namco has been asking Shue for more than 1 year for a while? Because Spike needs more time to dev games on the current gen. The ps2 is a cake walk compared to the current gen(are you seriously saying the ps2 and the ps3 are the same in terms of difficulty to dev for, lol please don't go down this road), so please don't use the previous gen dev cycle as an excuse to put all the blame on Spike, everyone involved including the fans themselves are to blame for the lackluster RB series, aka no story mode and change of controls, yes that too since that is a reason why there was a change between RB2 and UT.

FYI, it had more to with cutting off some things from the ps2 stuff and changing others that they couldn't use on the data completely on the Ps3, thus why it wasn't a simple thing as importing the data over to the ps3 and going from there. The ps2 and ps3 might as well been from different companies and they have only changed that fact only somewhat.

Well of course it's easier to develop on the PS2 then the PS3 but you were implying that the PS3 held Spike back when that's not the case. I hate to argue this because that's not what the thread is about; but the notion that the PS3 is hard to develop only came about during the beginning of the life cycle. Because of the year head start of the 360 and the newborn PS3 many developers were hiding behind this excuse when the PS3 version was weaker or non existent. Those days have long since past, and if anyone is still using it it's probably the developers fault not the PS3s. Again not the topic at hand.

Like I said before though; doesn't matter what the excuse is, the fact of the matter is we've seen weaker installments since BT3. Less characters, weaker controls and over all poor quality control(two different voice actors for one character what the hell Spike?). BT3 has been, like it or not, the go-to game for proper comparison. This is because, for most fans, it offered the most content any DBZ could offer. Ever since then, no game from Spike or Dimps has been able to live up to the task. That is why people are constantly comparing BT3 to present games.

Same developer
Same basic structure
very different experiences when it comes to content and quality...

as for why, it shouldn't matter. If they can get it right once, there shouldn't be a reason to not get it right again.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:35 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
Saimaroimaru wrote:

Well of course it's easier to develop on the PS2 then the PS3 but you were implying that the PS3 held Spike back when that's not the case. I hate to argue this because that's not what the thread is about; but the notion that the PS3 is hard to develop only came about during the beginning of the life cycle. Because of the year head start of the 360 and the newborn PS3 many developers were hiding behind this excuse when the PS3 version was weaker or non existent. Those days have long since past, and if anyone is still using it it's probably the developers fault not the PS3s. Again not the topic at hand.

Like I said before though; doesn't matter what the excuse is, the fact of the matter is we've seen weaker installments since BT3. Less characters, weaker controls and over all poor quality control(two different voice actors for one character what the hell Spike?). BT3 has been, like it or not, the go-to game for proper comparison. This is because, for most fans, it offered the most content any DBZ could offer. Ever since then, no game from Spike or Dimps has been able to live up to the task. That is why people are constantly comparing BT3 to present games.

Same developer
Same basic structure
very different experiences when it comes to content and quality...

as for why, it shouldn't matter. If they can get it right once, there shouldn't be a reason to not get it right again.
It shouldn't matter when there are reasons for their lack in quality this gen? Then there is no point in going after Spike if your gonna ignore the reasons. Your attacking them just to do it. I know this gen is lackluster but I understand why the quality has gone down. I just don't bash a dev without understanding what is going on or ignore the facts just to get a point across, PS3 maybe easier than it use to be but it is still hard regardless. And if you don't want that point brought up then don't act like they are facing the same things dev wise compared to the ps2 era.

Edit: Another thing even thought BT3 is praised now away days as one of the best DBz games out there, that wasn't always the case when it came out with the fans split in many forums between it and the Budokai series. Also getting it "right" is up to the individual, there is not or never will be a perfect dbz game because people will always find something to not like about a game. For example, as much as I like BT3 they bloated the character list by splitting characters up, aka Goku- Beg-Mid-End.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:46 pm

Well, METEOR!/Tenkaichi 3 is better than any of the Raging Blast games for a few reasons:

+Larger Roster
+Faster Gameplay
+More combos and a much more diverse array of tactical options
+More difficult AI
+Giant Characters
+Red Potara Character (AAAAWWWW SHIT SON)

The Raging Blast series has:
+Online play
+More customization options
+SSJ3 Vegeta/Broly and Hatchiyak

The latter three were then removed from Ultimate Tenkaichi as well as any combos or tactical options. It's a slower and less diverse game with far fewer characters and costumes, but with online play.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:Well, METEOR!/Tenkaichi 3 is better than any of the Raging Blast games for a few reasons:

+Larger Roster
+Faster Gameplay
+More difficult AI
+Giant Characters

+Online play

The latter three were then removed from Ultimate Tenkaichi as well as any combos or tactical options. It's a slower and less diverse game with far fewer characters and costumes, but with online play.
I agree but I am not saying RB or UT are better than BT3 but I recognize that it isn't perfect and that devs had a harder time this gen. The mess up that this this current gen isn't completely Spike's fault.

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:36 pm

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:Well, METEOR!/Tenkaichi 3 is better than any of the Raging Blast games for a few reasons:

+Larger Roster
+Faster Gameplay
+More difficult AI
+Giant Characters

+Online play

Sparking Meteor was beautiful (just look at the energy attacks) and it is the closest to looking like the anime.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:04 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:
It shouldn't matter when there are reasons for their lack in quality this gen? Then there is no point in going after Spike if your gonna ignore the reasons. Your attacking them just to do it. I know this gen is lackluster but I understand why the quality has gone down. I just don't bash a dev without understanding what is going on or ignore the facts just to get a point across, PS3 maybe easier than it use to be but it is still hard regardless. And if you don't want that point brought up then don't act like they are facing the same things dev wise compared to the ps2 era.

Edit: Another thing even thought BT3 is praised now away days as one of the best DBz games out there, that wasn't always the case when it came out with the fans split in many forums between it and the Budokai series. Also getting it "right" is up to the individual, there is not or never will be a perfect dbz game because people will always find something to not like about a game. For example, as much as I like BT3 they bloated the character list by splitting characters up, aka Goku- Beg-Mid-End.
The reasons shouldn't matter because that's not what this thread is about. If you want to argue the whys, make a thread on it or something. He asked a question and I gave my reasons. And there is a reason to go after Spike(it's not like pitch forks and flames are involved) because THEY MADE THE GAME. You can argue the excuses all day but at the end of it all x=x and y=y and for this thread, how we got there is irrelevant.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks for the opinions. Guess I still won't be in a hurry to pick up any Raging Blast games...
I was holding out hope for Ultimate Tenkaichi, but some of the stuff I've heard now that it's out isn't very appealing. I wish there was a demo. Maybe when the Japanese version is closer to being released there'll be a demo for over there.
Saimaroimaru wrote: Edit: Another thing even thought BT3 is praised now away days as one of the best DBz games out there, that wasn't always the case when it came out with the fans split in many forums between it and the Budokai series.
Yeah. And I can't imagine that's really changed since there will always be people who prefer one gameplay style over the other. So I made it a point to just ask about the Spike games for comparison.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:32 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
Saimaroimaru wrote:

The reasons shouldn't matter because that's not what this thread is about. If you want to argue the whys, make a thread on it or something. He asked a question and I gave my reasons. And there is a reason to go after Spike(it's not like pitch forks and flames are involved) because THEY MADE THE GAME. You can argue the excuses all day but at the end of it all x=x and y=y and for this thread, how we got there is irrelevant.
They may have made the game but there are reasons for their lack in quality. Its isn't 100% Spike. But go ahead, bash them for bash sake.

Fishman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fishman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:32 am

Haji wrote:Sparking Meteor was beautiful (just look at the energy attacks) and it is the closest to looking like the anime.
Even worse about "Next-Gen" Dragonball is that they somehow completely fucked up the way ki auras are supposed to look. Like, I don't know how they managed this? Are next-gen consoles just pre-programmed to slap down last-gen examples of 'getting-it-right'?

Especially noticeable when you fly. When you fly in Sparking! METEOR you get this fuckin' beautiful aura wooshing past you. I ain't talkin' about Wendy's here but you know when this is real. REAL. (it's worth mentioning that Budokai 3 handled auras beautifully too, better in some instances)

But then you have this crazy PS3 / 360 aura flight where it looks absolutely nothing like the series we bought the game for, instead being this crazy particle crap where you fly and leave a trail of 'shiny clouds' behind you. Occasionally they're chained closer together so it actually looks somewhat like it's supposed to, but I illustrated it as balls here to make the point that it's really noticeable and really bad.

Also what the hell is with this ridiculous trend of giving Freeza a black and red aura? I mean all I can even say about that is 'wat'.

Ok a little later I'll come back and basically textwall on why METEOR is a higher-quality product than the junk that's been pushed on us this gen (especially 'Ultimate Tenkaichi' or whatever it is in Japan. 'Ultimate Blast' i think?).
Super Saiyan Blue is not a creative color.
DBZ Movie 3 told a stronger and more believable "Evil Goku" story in 60 minutes than Dragon Ball Super has in 20 episodes. And it did it with better visuals and score.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:03 pm

Leotaku wrote:Thanks for the opinions. Guess I still won't be in a hurry to pick up any Raging Blast games...
I was holding out hope for Ultimate Tenkaichi, but some of the stuff I've heard now that it's out isn't very appealing. I wish there was a demo. Maybe when the Japanese version is closer to being released there'll be a demo for over there.

Yeah. And I can't imagine that's really changed since there will always be people who prefer one gameplay style over the other. So I made it a point to just ask about the Spike games for comparison.
I'll give the designers credit for trying to blend the styles together in Ultimate Tenkaichi but from what I've heard, they didn't do a very good job. Apparently the Rock Paper scissors thing happens more often then it should; it's a shame because I was really hoping that was going to be a small feature not the highlight of the fighting style. Again don't know to much because I haven't gotten a chance to play first hand.

Also, not sure if it works the same way with demos; however, I know companies have to put money out if they want to run a beta. Assuming the same rules apply for demos as well, I don't think Namco-Bandai is going to want to put money into a demo knowing the game isn't going to pick up a lot of sales anyway. The less money they have to put out the more they are going to make back.

It's a shame really, when I first head Namco-Bandai was taking over publication in America(back in 2009?) I thought it would be great to have one unified publisher across the board but really they haven't done a whole lot for the franchise. At least Atari went out of there way to make the game publicly know with Commercials and interviews on gaming websites. Doesn't really have a whole lot to do with this thread or anything but if they still had control of the franchise we'd probably see more publicity and the developers would probably see more revenue from sales.