Here, have some high level Super DBZ tournament footage.

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Here, have some high level Super DBZ tournament footage.

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Credit goes to Shoryuken. Shit son, this is pretty intense. I'd more than happily pick up a sequel.

It's over an hour long, so I hope you packed a lunch.

EDIT: For those too lazy to check out the Shoryuken article here is a post from ReXXXSoprano about how Super DBZ is the most underrated fighter of the last generation. It's also a nice, long read. Might merit a linner (dunch? I think we can settle on "snack").

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Here, have some high level Super DBZ tournament footage.

Post by Rukura » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:46 pm

After seeing that, I can only hope that the rumored "hardcore" game that is being developed for next year is Super DBZ 2..... :cry:
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:46 pm

This is fantastic, this is why I love fighting games so much (well at least watching em anyway :P)
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Massive Brownie points for this post! I especially love the Cell vs Cell fight at the end. What a show! This is why I love that game so much. :D
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:37 pm

Damn I wish I could play this good...and had friends who would play it with me.

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:04 pm

Rukura wrote:After seeing that, I can only hope that the rumored "hardcore" game that is being developed for next year is Super DBZ 2..... :cry:
You and me both bro!

I guess some people got turned down by the manga-esque graphics but I love that! I love everything about the game. The character uniqueness, the way they died, they way you could keep going when you won, adding insult to injury. The homage like details on every single map! And collecting the dragonball is like an eternal thirst, so addictive!

So much thanks for the vid, I loved every part of it! Especially that one player using Piccolo had some sweet moves!

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:17 pm

TRL wrote:
Rukura wrote:After seeing that, I can only hope that the rumored "hardcore" game that is being developed for next year is Super DBZ 2..... :cry:
You and me both bro!

I guess some people got turned down by the manga-esque graphics but I love that! I love everything about the game. The character uniqueness, the way they died, they way you could keep going when you won, adding insult to injury. The homage like details on every single map! And collecting the dragonball is like an eternal thirst, so addictive!

So much thanks for the vid, I loved every part of it! Especially that one player using Piccolo had some sweet moves!
*fistbump*

Isn't it ironic how the only thing Ultimate Tenkaichi gets praised for is the manga style graphics? :lol:
I think I'd be happy with just a Super Dragon Ball at this point (Goku vs Jackie Chun on the Tournament Stage...sigh)
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Rukura wrote: Isn't it ironic how the only thing Ultimate Tenkaichi gets praised for is the manga style graphics? :lol:
I think I'd be happy with just a Super Dragon Ball at this point (Goku vs Jackie Chun on the Tournament Stage...sigh)
Super Dragonball is something that has been overdue for a long time! I'd really love that.
We were kinda getting there with the tournament mode of Revenge of King Piccolo, the game had real nice manga-esque graphics too but the fighting was ultimately disappointing.

I've been wanting this since Dragonball advance, that game proved falling down air battles could be so much fun and Piccolo and Tien were badass because of their temporary flight.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:45 pm

TRL wrote:
Rukura wrote: Isn't it ironic how the only thing Ultimate Tenkaichi gets praised for is the manga style graphics? :lol:
Super Dragonball is something that has been overdue for a long time! I'd really love that.
We were kinda getting there with the tournament mode of Revenge of King Piccolo, the game had real nice manga-esque graphics too but the fighting was ultimately disappointing.

I've been wanting this since Dragonball advance, that game proved falling down air battles could be so much fun and Piccolo and Tenshinhan were badass because of their temporary flight.
You know I've been really curious about that game...but I don't have a Wii yet. Is it worth getting for it? (Is it fun, like Advanced Adventure?)
Yeah, there's another that really deserved a sequel......this is depressing lol.

At the end of the day, I think Super DBZ (much like the 3DO) was just too ahead of its time. Most DBZ-only fans would still hate it, but it would've gained a much bigger following for just being a well made fighting game. But alas, we're in 2011 and the newest game was Rock-Paper-Scissors-CoinFlip.....I'm gonna go watch some more of this video now lol

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:19 am

I've played Super DBZ a few times in Hong Kong and I can say that it is a really competitive game in the arcades. If anything, i really hope Namco-Bandai would release a digital version for PS3. I have a customized arcade stick perfect for that arcade experience at home.
The world is your's.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:05 am

Excuse me while I masturbate for an hour, thirteen minutes, and forty seconds.

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:28 am

Rukura wrote: You know I've been really curious about that game...but I don't have a Wii yet. Is it worth getting for it? (Is it fun, like Advanced Adventure?)
Yeah, there's another that really deserved a sequel......this is depressing lol.
I haven't tried it yet either, but I gather as much on the internet that it's kinda lackluster. The fighting has this one air smash that resembles Dragonball advance but it's not nearly as well executed.

But hey at least we got Ultimate butouden right? Wait... :roll:

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:39 am

TRL wrote:But hey at least we got Ultimate butouden right? Wait... :roll:
You're touching a nerve right there. I'm still not over that, even more so after Ultimate Tenkaichi. (The fuck are they holding on to the game for over there? It's a done game, just needs to be translated)

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Sshadow5001 wrote:Damn I wish I could play this good...and had friends who would play it with me.
You and me both, man.

Anyway, that is an incredible video. It's amazing how much talent these players have.

Coincidentally, I just started playing this game again the day this thread was posted after not having played it for about three years, and while I was more neutral about the game in the past, I have actually come to appreciate the game more. It's actually more fun than I remember it being.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:15 pm

...Is it wrong that I'm seeing every tactical option that Spike's games should have had rather than the competitive Dragon Ball we've been looking for here? :?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

mysticboy

Post by mysticboy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:30 am

Uhh... the PS3 Slim is backwards compatible now right?

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:29 pm

mysticboy wrote:Uhh... the PS3 Slim is backwards compatible now right?
No, none of the PS3s that offered backwards compatibility are in production anymore. The only models capable were the 20gig and the 60gig. Later 60gigs and early 80gigs cut out hardware compatibility but offered a software emulator thing(basically it worked with some PS2 games but not all) to cut down the price of the system. They then got rid of PS2 compatibility completely by 2008 with the later 80gig bundles(around the time MGS4 came out). Since then no model has ever had any sort of backwards support. Instead, PS2's now cost like $50 and PS3 prices have gone down $300 since it's launch in 2006.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:33 pm

Damn I wish my PS3 was backwards compatible :x . @Sparky Ehh, so there's an emulator on the PS3? Care to explain a bit more??

Hmm, this just piqued my interest, but it seems that there is a vast majority of people that I come across on the web whom own a PS3 rather than a 360. Does everyone here own a PS3?

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:53 pm

DonieZ wrote:Damn I wish my PS3 was backwards compatible :x . @Sparky Ehh, so there's an emulator on the PS3? Care to explain a bit more??

Hmm, this just piqued my interest, but it seems that there is a vast majority of people that I come across on the web whom own a PS3 rather than a 360. Does everyone here own a PS3?
Nope just a 360 & a Wii. I got nothing against Playstation, I just don't feel a need to own both plus I don't care much for the exclusives and at the time of purchase the 360 was the cheaper alternative.

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:21 pm

DonieZ wrote:Damn I wish my PS3 was backwards compatible :x . @Sparky Ehh, so there's an emulator on the PS3? Care to explain a bit more??
As I understand it, the original PS3s had the entire PS2 emotion engine inside the machine; a mini PS2 of sorts. It was later cut down so that PS3 partially emulated the engine off it's own assets.
DonieZ wrote:Hmm, this just piqued my interest, but it seems that there is a vast majority of people that I come across on the web whom own a PS3 rather than a 360. Does everyone here own a PS3?
Wii only! :D
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada