"DBZ: Battle of Z" (360/PS3/Vita) On-Going Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "DBZ: Battle of Z" (360/PS3/Vita) On-Going Discussion Th

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:03 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:No in-game transformations is not OK, I'm not sure what they were thinking. Honestly combine BT1 and Super DBZ with Ssj God and Beers and you have BoZ.
I don't understand it either dude. In Tenkaichi Tag VS for the PSP in-game transformations were still possible; you were just given temporary invincibility once the transformation was complete.

On a side note: they're re-using old music from RB1 and UT in this game? What is the budget for this game? Is it really that damn small that they couldn't compose new original music for this game? Terrific :crazy:
PSN: Nightwing7841

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!" - Gogeta

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:01 am

That video with the Z senshi vs Nappa and the Saibaiman was terrific. Game looks much more promising now.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Wobbuffet
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wobbuffet » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:46 am

Silkman3003 wrote:
Players always are in a team with four fighters, even in story mode where you get three AI controlled characters on your team.
Battle of Z does not have any transformations. If you play as Super Saiyan Goku you cannot go to Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3 or Super Saiyan God.
Well, there goes my hype.
Sorry, I can't speak English very well, but I'm trying my best.
This is My Anime List.

Nexic_Breaker_D

Post by Nexic_Breaker_D » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:05 am

Wow thats disappointing :/ no transformation at all.. Oh well

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:18 am

I'm sold!!! I'm getting the game only because of Bills and Whis :D :D :D

Those cheap motherfuckers, they did this to me with Raging Blast 2 allready :roll:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:36 am

Players always are in a team with four fighters
Battle of Z does not have any transformations.
You’re locked into whatever form you select when the battle starts.
This sucks terribly.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:00 am

When you think about it, 8 players max on a screen can't really afford to be interrupted by a transformation sequence.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:01 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Players always are in a team with four fighters
Battle of Z does not have any transformations.
You’re locked into whatever form you select when the battle starts.
This sucks terribly.
What??! Than I'm sorry, I can't be sold over this. I would rather buy Ultimate Tenkaichi then....

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:02 am

Maybe I'm completely alone here, but I honestly don't care that much about in-game transformations. I mean, for one, this is not Budokai or Sparking!, this is a new series.

Still, though... I'm calling it now. Whenever the sequel comes out (which will be 2015 at the earliest.... jesus, I'll be a quarter-century old by then :( ), they'll include IGT's and advertise it like, "FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE BATTLE OF Z SERIES... TRANSFORM YOUR CHARACTERS... IN BATTLE!" and then you'll have interviews with producers talking about how there's this cool new feature where, instead of having to select each individual form of a character, you'll actually be able to transform during the game! This whole "leaving out a feature that we've had for 10 years and then reintroducing it in the sequel and passing it off as new and exciting" shtick is played the fuck out. I'd honestly rather they stick to their guns and keep them out for subsequent games to prove they're not full-of-shit sociopaths who leave features out intentionally.

...But I think Namco Bandai has proven this with the first Raging Blast (Sparking! METEOR was damn-near perfect! The only way to go is up!), as well as Ultimate Blast (Raging Blast 2 was damn-near perfect! The only way to go is... fuck it, fool me once, Namco Bandai).
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:43 am

Nexic_Breaker_D wrote:New gameplay, it shows Piccolo and yamcha :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFoLdfz ... ata_player
Finally. This video had some at least OK gameplay.
SRB2Unleashed wrote:When you think about it, 8 players max on a screen can't really afford to be interrupted by a transformation sequence.
Don't make it a sequence... It's not that hard. Just flash some blonde hair and go. It's simple. Or in Freeza and Cell's case, give a flash of light around the character and BOOM, transformed
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:10 am

The transformation problem was to be expected.
I think it's not about having a transformation sequence interrupting anything, it's about the fact that it would require yet another model to be loaded when there are already up to 8 models to deal with, possibly all launching their super beams at the same time on some instances.
Once the area and all character models (complete with their own moveset and special effects) are loaded, the battle must go non-stop without anything more to load.

They already had to reduce graphics compared to previous productions to manage 4 to 8 models to be on screen, there's no room to store additionnal models for the various transformations in a same fight. If you want those, these models take the space given for the members of the team, so they might as well replace those other members altogether and be separate characters all appearing at the same time to keep the team system. That's what the developers must have thought.

dariend777

Post by dariend777 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:29 am

Cold Skin wrote:The transformation problem was to be expected.
I think it's not about having a transformation sequence interrupting anything, it's about the fact that it would require yet another model to be loaded when there are already up to 8 models to deal with, possibly all launching their super beams at the same time on some instances.
Once the area and all character models (complete with their own moveset and special effects) are loaded, the battle must go non-stop without anything more to load.

They already had to reduce graphics compared to previous productions to manage 4 to 8 models to be on screen, there's no room to store additional models for the various transformations in a same fight. If you want those, these models take the space given for the members of the team, so they might as well replace those other members altogether and be separate characters all appearing at the same time to keep the team system. That's what the developers must have thought.

Good point. I agree.
"I would rather have an inferiority complex and be pleasantly surprised, than have a superiority complex and be rudely awakened."
Vanna Bonta quotes

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:57 am

Personally, I'd rather have transformation than fighting with 8 characters on screen. It doesn't interest me somehow. I played the Tag VS on PSP and didn't know what's so cool about it even with two characters on screen at the same time.
If it really will be fights with condition that there must be always 4 players, then embarrasingly enough, my only game for the slowly ending current gen will be RB2 :(

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:05 pm

Wait, wait. What does this game need to be good? Good gameplay or in-game transformations? There seems to be a slight shift in priorities right now.

Personally, I can live without being able to transform. I want them to focus on making the gameplay as smooth as possible and for it to actually WORK. Let's not forget the huge scale and more than just two people going 1v1 that is being done with this game....and that it also needs to work just as good online.

I say we let them work it out and make it right for now. After it's polished, even if for the next game, they can focus on transformations and making the characters look more like the anime. And GT.
MCDaveG wrote:I played the Tag VS on PSP and didn't know what's so cool about it even with two characters on screen at the same time.
That's because it was adapted from a structure that was always just one-on-one. I always just play 1-on-1 free battle lol
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Could be for balancing purposes. Making the transformations entirely different character gives them the ability to be wholly different in their properties.

We hope.

Silkman3003
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Silkman3003 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Controls for the game at 0:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GM034p3VQo

User on GFAQS managed to list all the controls in post form

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/720091-d ... z/67286860

Controls for the game

L2 - Unique A
R2 - Unique B
L1 - Guard
R1 - Enemy Lock On/Off
D-Pad - Change Strategy
L3 - Unused
R3 - Ally Lock On/Off
/_\ - Melee Attack
O - Ki Attack
X - Descend
[_] - Ascend
Left Stick - Movement
Right Stick - Camera

Button Combos:
L1 + /_\ = Guard Impact
L1 + O = "Blast Spark"
L1 + [_] = Unique A (L2 probably so vita isn't left out)
L1 + X = Unique A (R2 same as above)
/_\ + O = Super Attack

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:20 pm

If this is an official site, I guess they're dropping the "super saiyan" from ssjg for this game? So if you liked the "Godku" nickname, or if you didn't like this being labelled a super saiyan form, you've kinda got it?
(I'm still partial to Pretty Warrior Gokyun, myself.)
http://www.team-up.eu/character/god-goku/

Also, we've now got "Battle of God" in addition to "Battle of the Gods".
I still prefer the original "Battle of Gods" wording though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:34 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:No in-game transformations is not OK, I'm not sure what they were thinking. Honestly combine BT1 and Super DBZ with Ssj God and Beers and you have BoZ.
Except that you know, gameplay-wise Super DBZ was awesome and BT1 was garbage since day 1.

These gameplay videos are making me having interest in the game, I also noticed how there's only one button for melee, let's hope it's like zenkai battle royal and the combo changes deppending on the directions you press. Also, no in-game transformations kinda suck, specially in a game like this, where I suppose the battles will take a long time, again, let's hope it's like Zenkai and the transformations have movesets and animations completely different from the base form.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm not going to lie, it's bugging me that X and Square are the ascend and descend. It's weird to map that to face buttons especially when square has been the standard attack button for like ever. Making it Triangle seems awkward. I'll have to see how it feels in my hands or something but the way I'm imagining it seems weird. Otherwise, things are still looking nice.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:05 pm

Quebaz wrote:
Except that you know, gameplay-wise Super DBZ was awesome and BT1 was garbage since day 1.

These gameplay videos are making me having interest in the game, I also noticed how there's only one button for melee, let's hope it's like zenkai battle royal and the combo changes deppending on the directions you press. Also, no in-game transformations kinda suck, specially in a game like this, where I suppose the battles will take a long time, again, let's hope it's like Zenkai and the transformations have movesets and animations completely different from the base form.
The gameplay is BT1's. Seriously, look at it. The same 1 combo :yawn: . I also think I meant Legends, is that the 4-player one? Also, why the hell is triangle the melee attack?
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946