Original Stories

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Original Stories

Post by Necrosaber » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Was talking with my brother and a few friends the other day and we were discussing this. Do you think the fanbase would be against a Dragonball game that actually has its own original story? Personally, while I do enjoy playing my favorite characters throughout the various sagas, I am finding the games are starting to become stale. Since it's a video game, I don't really see a reason to be so dedicated to the manga/anime. I think it'd be a breathe of fresh air to see some new villains and stories come from the games. Stories that can even taken place after the Buu arc in Z and the end of GT.

I do enjoy the "What-if" stories in some of the games, but I'd love to see it taken a step further with full fleshed out original arcs/

Thoughts?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Original Stories

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:04 pm

A db game with an original story would get me to buy it easily. Being bored is one of the reasons I gave up on db console games after a while. It's also why I was so excited about BOG, because it wasn't just another retelling like kai or sd. Quality is important though, it's gotta actually make sense and be entertaining.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:14 pm

YES! Anything would be better than Raditz-Buu (or even worse, Raditz-Cell) again. If they wanna throw SSJ3 Nappa vs Buu (with Krillin absorbed) into the Cell Games being set on New Namek then more power to them! Armies of Freeza soldiers invading Earth after their master's death under the orders of Cooler, villain fusions, Makaioshins, Shenron vs Porunga in a heavyweight boxing match, etc.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:36 pm

I agree 100% that's why a few years back I kept suggesting this :

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=12406

To give us a) new stories and b) an infinite amount.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:22 pm

For god's sake yes. Seeing it as they cannot for the love of god create a faithful story mode then please bombard us with what if stories because their attempts at remaking the actual story of DB/Z/GT suck.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:52 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:For god's sake yes. Seeing it as they cannot for the love of god create a faithful story mode then please bombard us with what if stories because their attempts at remaking the actual story of DB/Z/GT suck.
They have created faithful story modes on a couple games:

1) DBZ Budokai 1
2) DBZ Burst Limit
3) DBZ Infinite World
4) DBZ Ultimate Blast

My favourite is DBZ Ultimate Blast because it's the most accurate out of the four and it tries to replicate the anime scenes with cutscenes with anime-graphics and game-graphics. The whole game is one bunch of cutscenes.

Now on DBZ Battle of Z they need to focus on making the gameplay and graphics solid because whoever wants the same old boring story just play older games, watch the anime or read the manga.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Just like Naruto does, please, I think there's 2 games for Xbox which practically are videogame-ovas
Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:41 am

An original story would be great but I think it would work better in a non-fighting game. What-ifs work better for those games since you can step up a quick reason for the characters to fight and include a handful of battles. A story that is a complete what-if or some type of Dr. Slump fighting reunion would work best for those.
I also really hope that if DBO isn't released in the rest of the world that they retool the story for a different game. There is a lot of Toriyama and Shueisha OK'd material that may go to waste.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:50 am

I wouldn't be opposed, as long as it's well written. We don't need Hero mode bull shit again.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:59 am

As long they don't fee like terrible fan fiction like the Shin Budokai games were then I'm okay with original stories.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:11 am

It seems like a great idea, but given the quality of previous original stories we've gotten... I'm going to say no. Most what-if stories have been downright garbage, although their have been some good ones. I'd rather games have the main story and then some what-ifs on the side. That way it's not a big deal if the what-ifs are lame, but a nice bonus if they're good.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:04 pm

I like when they create original villains like Ozotto. While Ozotto did look pretty silly looking, I think more original villains would be cool to see.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/