DBZ at EVO...Possible?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

budokaifanatic007
Regular

DBZ at EVO...Possible?

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:06 am

Hello all, I was just wondering if any of the past DBZ games were EVO worthy? Bandai did say they wanted Naruto to appear at the EVO tournaments so why not DBZ? And also could you tell me what a DBZ game would need to be EVO worthy? Thanks.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Re: DBZ at EVO...Possible?

Post by Quebaz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:12 am

budokaifanatic007 wrote:Hello all, I was just wondering if any of the past DBZ games were EVO worthy? Bandai did say they wanted Naruto to appear at the EVO tournaments so why not DBZ? And also could you tell me what a DBZ game would need to be EVO worthy? Thanks.
Take Super DBZ, port it to PS3/360, add online, make it that some unlockables be unlocked at the start (movesets, characters, colors), maybe add a few more characters (or a freaking sequel). BAM!

OR!

Someone pay Z2 Team so that hey can finish Hyper DBZ. BAM!
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:20 am

^ That would be Awesome but you know Bandai wouldn't make that knowing some of the DBZ game fans, " Its too hard", "wheres all 300 of my characters?" .I think that all games you listed would be perfect but lets be real the most competitive game we've had that was enjoyed by "casuals" was Budokai 3, So i think another Budokai entry with an improved battle system would be a good compromise, but hey its just my opinion.
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:32 pm

You're not going to get any serious tournament play with a licensed 3D fighter.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:49 pm

Yes, That is why Bandai needs to consider making another 2.5D fighter like Budokai. 3D fighters simply wont work, are there even any 3D fighters at EVO?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:16 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote:Yes, That is why Bandai needs to consider making another 2.5D fighter like Budokai. 3D fighters simply wont work, are there even any 3D fighters at EVO?
Bandai Namco's very own Tekken: Tag Tournament 2.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:25 pm

I wonder why Burst Limit wasn't played at Tournaments.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:37 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote:I wonder why Burst Limit wasn't played at Tournaments.
Cause of infinite Ki among other things.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:31 pm

I don't think we need one for EVO, cuz after all, the DB franchise is partially fanserviced.

And I honestly think that you guys need to chill with this EVO stuff. I know I said things about wanting complex mechanics and unique characters, but that was because that would make the game last in today's generation of gaming IMO, If I play as Cell and Android 13, and they both play the same or similar to each other, then shit, I rather stick with Cell(one of my favorite villains). Luckily, Xenoverse is winning in the gameplay department by making the characters play different(Goku doesn't do a foward sweep kick like Cell does in the game, no similar button patterns), even though it still needs work.

If they want to put in characters that have never been in a game before, at least put someone in who is interesting and is unique(i.e. Gen. Rildo) instead of somebody who just uses Energy Blast #1 and Energy Blast #2(Frieza Soldiers). If they can make a big or decent roster with SUPER ULTRA battle mechanics, then sure, bring it to EVO, though like I said again, give it up, there's nothing yall can do about it. Just play Street Fighter and leave the DBZ games alone if they don't satisfy you on a competitive level. Same goes for all the other anime games like Naruto Storm, nothing we can do to make CC2 to put more combos in.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:37 am

budokaifanatic007 wrote:I wonder why Burst Limit wasn't played at Tournaments.
Maybe it was not popular enough. It took MK long enough to be at the EVO. Maybe if DBZ gets a good legit game again then it could be possible.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:21 pm

The PS2 era MK games didn't make it to national tournaments for various technical reasons (sometimes player 1 would have an unfair advantage over player2 etc.) Not because of popularity.

Deception was one of the best selling Mortal Kombat games in the entire franchise if I'm not mistaken.

Plus Ed Boon said something back then about not aiming the games towards hardcore tournament players but I think that was more or less a damage control excuse.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

mysticboy

Post by mysticboy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:59 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote:Yes, That is why Bandai needs to consider making another 2.5D fighter like Budokai. 3D fighters simply wont work, are there even any 3D fighters at EVO?
Wait, what do you mean by 3D? 2.5D is something like MK9 and SFIV where the game is basically 2D with 3D assets and models. 3D fighters are games like Tekken, DOA, Budokai etc.. If you mean 3D like Tenkaichi or Ninja Storm, then no, none of those types have been at EVO.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:26 pm

EXBadguy wrote:I don't think we need one for EVO, cuz after all, the DB franchise is partially fanserviced.
Thats the reason why the gameplay suffers, its always put at the back as a last note in people's minds - while everything else like storymode, long useless cutscenes and obscure character additions are always the company's priorities.

DBZ games will never get out of the laughingstock zone until Namco gives Dimps more creative control the way I assume Atari did. They will never get to EVO level until they stop trying to force-feed us all these Tenkaichi clones all the time but instead at least give us a 2D fighter we can settle with. The problem is with Namco always alienating their hardcore fans just because they cant meet the standards Dimps used to create for us. They don't even know why Dimps was so highly respected. Ever since Namco bought the liecence, they've been working to dumb down their games as much as possible in order to market them to the Naruto gamer fanbase or the larger casual crowd. Then again the odd paradox is, that SSBB is taken seriously by tournament players and it was originally made for casuals. The difference is that the community itself made it into a serious hardcore name. Nintendo learned from them and let them build the community they felt suited the franchise. Namco never does this they don't listen to the right people in the fanbase and provide the worst communication I've ever seen.

When Tenkaichi hit gradually regressed the whole community mentality of how these games should be shifted from cancel combo tournaments to people arguing over character rosters and storymode.
There are problems on both ends to this community: the fanbase's inconsistent mixed-priorities for the games, and the company's evasion of our needs. Every year since RB2 they seemed to be gambling on everything we dont want.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:54 am

Bandai Namco is very unpredictable. Who knows what type of game will come after Xenoverse....
But i really hope Xenoverse doesn't flop because i have a feeling if it does then Bandai will drop Dimps. Maybe Bandai will realize that Dimps is best at 2.5D fighting games like Budokai and bandai will give them a chance to make another 2D/2.5D game. I really dont get why Bandai doesn't listen to the fans, the tenkaichi style gameplay has gotten STALE! :x

Nanotchi

Post by Nanotchi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:07 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:I don't think we need one for EVO, cuz after all, the DB franchise is partially fanserviced.
Ever since Namco bought the liecence
Bandai has always had the license in Japan, even before they merged with Namco.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:42 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: DBZ games will never get out of the laughingstock zone until Namco gives Dimps more creative control the way I assume Atari did.
You act like Atari played apart of the making of the DBZ games. Atari had nothing to do with the Budokai games, the Sparking games and Burst Limit. They just publish the games in North America and that was it. They were able to work a deal with Bandai in order to have the games come out first in the US, but that's it. Namco Bandai is the one that pays the developers to make the games for them.
She/Her

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:25 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote:Hello all, I was just wondering if any of the past DBZ games were EVO worthy? Bandai did say they wanted Naruto to appear at the EVO tournaments so why not DBZ?
Neither Dragon Ball Z nor Naruto are worthy of appearing at EVO because the games just can't be taken seriously in this kind of environment, people in these tournaments take the games to the next level and DBZ/Naruto just don't go that far.

If only Bandai Namco didn't continue to force the bullshit Tenkaichi crap on developers (Dimps & Artdink) we'd see a quality Dragon Ball Z game.
budokaifanatic007 wrote:And also could you tell me what a DBZ game would need to be EVO worthy? Thanks.
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 & Super Dragon Ball Z.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:02 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Neither Dragon Ball Z nor Naruto are worthy of appearing at EVO because the games just can't be taken seriously in this kind of environment, people in these tournaments take the games to the next level and DBZ/Naruto just don't go that far.

If only Bandai Namco didn't continue to force the bullshit Tenkaichi crap on developers (Dimps & Artdink) we'd see a quality Dragon Ball Z game.
budokaifanatic007 wrote:And also could you tell me what a DBZ game would need to be EVO worthy? Thanks.
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 & Super Dragon Ball Z.
So... basically what I'm hearing is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Q0vJcbb4Y
Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:31 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Deception was one of the best selling Mortal Kombat games in the entire franchise if I'm not mistaken.
It was until MK9 aka Mortal Kombat (2011) came out several years later. MK is known to have simplistic fighting compare to Street Fighter and Tekken which is why most fighting gamers view MK as a joke and why it took so long for MK to be at EVO.
She/Her

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:42 pm

I guess Hyper Dragonball z is going to be at EVO 2014 http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/hype ... 767.0.html