DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans NDS

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans NDS

Post by ss4songoku » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:14 pm

I've been playing this game and think it's fantastic. I think it's a shame they never made any sequels to this game, a full fledged DBZ rpg is so refreshing to the onslaught of fighting games that have been coming out year after year. Not that I dislike fighting games like the the Tenkaichi style games but I feel it's time for a new style of Dragon Ball game to liven things up. Who here agrees?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans NDS

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:32 am

If Dimps' had the freedom of choice as to how they'd want to make a Dragon Ball Z game they would perhaps develop "Burst Limit 2" but instead what we're getting is a behind-the-shoulder game again unfortunately though since it's being produced by Dimps' there's hope that they could make this one unexpectedly great game, although most aren't that optimistic any more.

I'd love to see a Dragon Ball: Origins on the home consoles despite that they would be developed by someone else due to the original team has been torn apart.

Anyhow, I really gotta give up on wishing for a Dragon Ball GT because it's never going to happen and the only one that was produced was mediocre (Transformation).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

CM101Play
Beyond Newbie

Post by CM101Play » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:43 am

Most are still optimistic. The only ones who aren't are the ones who'd rather have a DBZ game where the characters fight nothing like how they did in the anime/manga.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:53 pm

This game has fantastic art. Its backgrounds were handpainted by the same guy who handpainted the backgrounds in the PS1 classic Chrono Cross.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:30 pm

CM101Play wrote:Most are still optimistic. The only ones who aren't are the ones who'd rather have a DBZ game where the characters fight nothing like how they did in the anime/manga.
In the manga we just saw still images and people often forget whether it's a TV show or a game that it can't always be precisely the same because it'd break, be tedious or just not be that good for the purpose of entertainment.

The Japanese Kai version of the Great Saiyaman arc chopped off a lot filler and what happened? It made it barely watchable.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Such a fun game. Loved it. It made such good use of anime filler material (even if it was originally a Kai game lol)

My only beef with it was the choice for the hidden boss. Anyone from the first three Z movies would've made way more sense. Hell, maybe even Bardock.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:06 pm

This game is one of my favourite Dragon Ball games. I've made a whole blog post about it, exploring all the new alternative stuff. It is a pity that the teased sequel never saw the light of day and that Origins got made and got a sequel instead (in my opinion a vastly inferior game).
Although it seems this game got a sort of spiritual prequel in Shounen Hen... Too bad it's for mobile devices and never got localized... :(

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:36 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:If Dimps' had the freedom of choice as to how they'd want to make a Dragon Ball Z game they would perhaps develop "Burst Limit 2" but instead what we're getting is a behind-the-shoulder game again unfortunately though since it's being produced by Dimps' there's hope that they could make this one unexpectedly great game, although most aren't that optimistic any more.

I'd love to see a Dragon Ball: Origins on the home consoles despite that they would be developed by someone else due to the original team has been torn apart.

Anyhow, I really gotta give up on wishing for a Dragon Ball GT because it's never going to happen and the only one that was produced was mediocre (Transformation).
I wish there was a Burst Limit 2, these over the shoulder simulation games get repetitive after a while in my opinion.

Attack of the Saiyans was a great game. Sometimes I get sad when I think of how amazing it would be if all the sagas of Z were given that treatment.

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:39 pm

I guess AOTS didn't sell to well or there would have been sequels. It was such a great game though so why didn't it sell? I wonder if we'll ever see another decent DBZ rpg for handhelds?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:58 am

I think the game would sold better if it was not so short. Starting at the 23rd Tenkachi Budokai and ending with Vegeta is not enough. They should have just ended with Freeza and do the Cell saga for the second game.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Zidiane
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zidiane » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Rukura wrote:My only beef with it was the choice for the hidden boss. Anyone from the first three Z movies would've made way more sense. Hell, maybe even Bardock.
The game was called "Attack of the Saiyans". Fighting the strongest Saiyan from the movies seems legit. Though I would have enjoyed fighting Bardock and Turles as well, and since they would have been basically palette swaps of Goku they would have been easier to make.

SHOULD a second game ever come out (Terror of Freeza? Tyrant on Namek?) I would expect the secret boss to be either Lord Slug or Cooler. A Cell Saga game would probably have Super 13 (or maybe Bojack).

Either way, I think there's a lot of content there for a sequel. You could use everyone training at King Kai's to go and do more training in the other world, like fight Nappa and Raditz, you could have Gohan and Krillin exploring ancient Namekian temples, underwater caves, Fake Namek, you could use more Baba teleportation to travel to and from Earth, Namek, and The Other World, You could enter training simulations in Goku's ship, you could potentially use the Ginyu crash pods or even Freeza's ship to travel to another Freeza planet (maybe go and liberate the planet of the kids in that invisible spaceship?). Enemies on Namek could be Freeza soldiers of course, but also I could imagine rogue Nameks (like Lord Slug was supposed to be), Saibamen (perhaps even Saibamen mutations like Dragonball Online), giant crabs, whatever those Fake Namek guys were, and more based on Other World and Earth enemies showing up on Namek after you are allowed to go to those places.

Friggin_Krillin

Post by Friggin_Krillin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 am

Nice Ideas you have there Zidiane. Loved the Game and its Filler Parts. Seriously the Amount of Screen Time for Krillin, Tien and Yamcha at the Beginning was plain great. And all the appearing Chars of the Past. Still waiting for the teased Sequel that never comes. Just imagine the whole Saga in this Style. Would be way better then the Legacy of Goku Trilogy.

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:25 pm

It would be so cool to have the entire series done like this. One for the saiyans, then frieza, then androids and cell, then buu. It would just be awesome to go through the entire series in this format.
Neo died for our smiths.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Finally got this game at a flea market! Booklet, box, everything...
Any advice? Like where would be best to spend points when levelling up, and stuff like that.

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:05 pm

DNA wrote:This game is one of my favourite Dragon Ball games. I've made a whole blog post about it, exploring all the new alternative stuff. It is a pity that the teased sequel never saw the light of day and that Origins got made and got a sequel instead (in my opinion a vastly inferior game).
Although it seems this game got a sort of spiritual prequel in Shounen Hen... Too bad it's for mobile devices and never got localized... :(
It appears I've come to the blog a few years too late.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Necroposting aside, I guess you did. I have plenty ideas for further articles, but at this point I just don't feel the energy to do it. I mean, the blog phased to obscurity with all the pomp and circumstance of a wet fart, nobody really cared.

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:20 pm

DNA wrote:Necroposting aside, I guess you did. I have plenty ideas for further articles, but at this point I just don't feel the energy to do it. I mean, the blog phased to obscurity with all the pomp and circumstance of a wet fart, nobody really cared.
Does it still count as a necropsy? I saw this topic on the front page! :p

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:36 pm

PM'ing me would have achieved the same end. Not that it matters, doesn't seem like anyone cares.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:37 am

ss4songoku wrote:I've been playing this game and think it's fantastic. I think it's a shame they never made any sequels to this game, a full fledged DBZ rpg is so refreshing to the onslaught of fighting games that have been coming out year after year. Not that I dislike fighting games like the the Tenkaichi style games but I feel it's time for a new style of Dragon Ball game to liven things up. Who here agrees?
there was a game i think it was for the SNES which was RPG style with cards. one of the best dbz games ever. it had amazing cutscenes to each attack and you needed strategy. but it was only for japanese. i really love the RPG idea applied to dragon ball. sort of like a combination between dragon ball and pokemon. this can work really great.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 am

Great game. Solid graphics, really nice backgrounds. I liked how it filled in some of the blanks between the 23rd Tournament and the arrival of Raditz. I liked stuff like Yamcha and Kuririn going back to where they came from. Would have made for some great anime material.