Dragon Ball Video Game Sales Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Re: Previous Video Game sales?

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:30 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Wow. So, in the total sales reported by Media Crate for Xenoverse is 78,911 copies? Too bad it didn't outsell Burst Limit.
Those still pretty damn good numbers. And that's not even including how much it sold on PC or Xbox platforms, which must have pushed the total number of units sold to at least over 80,000. I mean Burst Limit had the advantage of being the first PS3 Dragon Ball game and coming off of Tenkaichi 3, you can only imagine that there was a considerable amount of hype for the game. And it released during a time when Dragon Ball was much more of money maker in Japan than it is now.

Now lets just hope the US does their share of work and shift at least a million units. :)
I'm not sure about a million copies sold. I mean, has a Dragon Ball game ever hit a million mark?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:36 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Wow. So, in the total sales reported by Media Crate for Xenoverse is 78,911 copies? Too bad it didn't outsell Burst Limit.
Those still pretty damn good numbers. And that's not even including how much it sold on PC or Xbox platforms, which must have pushed the total number of units sold to at least over 80,000. I mean Burst Limit had the advantage of being the first PS3 Dragon Ball game and coming off of Tenkaichi 3, you can only imagine that there was a considerable amount of hype for the game. And it released during a time when Dragon Ball was much more of money maker in Japan than it is now.

Now lets just hope the US does their share of work and shift at least a million units. :)
I'm not sure about a million copies sold. I mean, has a Dragon Ball game ever hit a million mark?
The vanilla Budokai games, Taiketsu, Legacy of Goku series, Budokai Tenkaichi series, Burst Limit, Raging Blast 1 & 2, the vanilla Super Butoden games, Ultimate Battle 22, and Ultimate Tenkachi all sold at least a million units.

Pretty much every major dbz game that's not Final Bout or Battle of Zzz....
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:41 pm

Ah, I see. Then let's hit a bar higher, shall we? I say 2 million units. :)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:46 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Ah, I see. Then let's hit a bar higher, shall we? I say 2 million units. :)
The first two Budokai games, and Budokai Tenkaichi 3 sold over 2 million units.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Ah, uh... Umm... How about 3 million units...? :shifty:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:49 pm

VGChartz is not a trustworthy source of information. I question Raging Blast 2 and Ultimate Tenkaichi hitting 1 million units.

If you want to talk about boom-era stuff, well, here you go:

PS2 DRAGONBALL Z: BUDOKAI ATARI Dec-02 1,720,666
PS2 DRAGONBALL Z: BUDOKAI2 ATARI Dec-03 1,217,514
GBA DRAGONBALL Z: LEGACY OF GOKU ATARI May-02 1,215,175
PS2 DRAGONBALL Z: BUDOKAI3 ATARI Nov-04 765,344
GBA DRAGONBALL Z: LEGACY OF GOKU II ATARI Jun-03 616,501
GBA DRAGONBALL Z: TAIKETSU ATARI Nov-03 602,875

That's NPD data from June 2005 demonstrating how big the series once was. Those sales figures only account for the US.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:52 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Ah, uh... Umm... How about 3 million units...? :shifty:
Budokai Tenkaichi 3 sold that much even just counting PS2. Oh and the first Budokai sold that much overall.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:09 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Ah, uh... Umm... How about 3 million units...? :shifty:
Budokai Tenkaichi 3 sold that much even just counting PS2. Oh and the first Budokai sold that much overall.
DragonBalllKaiHD, before you say 4 million units, if you include the units that Tenkaichi 3 shifted on the Wii, it has also officially sold over 4 millions units. 3,000,000 on PS2 and 1,016,973 on the Wii.

Yeah, Dragon Ball was that popular back in it's day. :)

Bullza
Banned

Re: Previous Video Games sales: Xenoverse 78k Week1

Post by Bullza » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:33 pm

Wow 78,000 copies, well colour me pleasantly surprised. I have no doubts this game will sell a million but 2 million is gonna be quite a stretch.

If you do go by Vgchartz they have Tenkaichi at selling 4 million. Then Budokai is at almost 3.8 million. Those are the best selling games according to them.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Re: Previous Video Games sales: Xenoverse 78k Week1

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:52 pm

Bullza wrote:Wow 78,000 copies, well colour me pleasantly surprised. I have no doubts this game will sell a million but 2 million is gonna be quite a stretch.

If you do go by Vgchartz they have Tenkaichi at selling 4 million. Then Budokai is at almost 3.8 million. Those are the best selling games according to them.
Considering Xenoverse has 4 platforms to sell to as well as more sales following the weeks plus U.S. and Europe, it may hit 3 or 4 million mark.

Bullza
Banned

Re: Video Games sales: Xenoverse 79k Week 1

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:14 am

The PS3 and Xbox 360 software sales are dying off incredibly fast in US and Europe so I wouldn't count on that for more than a few hundred thousand copies. At this point they shouldn't even bother with last gen versions anymore.

These are the USA Week 1 sales for console DBZ games according to Vgchartz as a reference for when Xenoverse comes out.

Burst Limit - 79,000 PS3 & X360
Raging Blast - 53,000 PS3 & X360
Raging Blast 2 - 28,000 PS3 & X360 (Very sceptical)
Ultimate Tenkaichi - 96,000 PS3 & X360
Battle of Z - 10,000 PS3 (No data for other consoles)

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:43 am

4 million for Budokai Tenkaichi 3 isn't bad either (adding up the values on VGChartz), if the figures are reasonably accurate anyhow. Hopefully this will do well enough to make anime games successful again (like in the Bleach/Naruto hayday).
=
Singer, Swordfighter and Livestreamer

Like Dragonball Z: Legendary Super Warriors for GBC? Check out our Wordpress site which contains all the Character Focus articles and Let's Play Video Links! http://legendarysuperwarriors.wordpress.com/
=

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:59 pm

The Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm (main) games are the best selling anime games at the moment I believe. Storm 3 shipped about 2 million copies as of August last year.

Shinnin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinnin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:06 pm

Considering that this is only like 4 days worth of sales - Media Create's rankings cover Monday-Sunday and Xenoverse came out on a Thursday - and the game has yet to release in NA and Europe, that's pretty damn good. I have no doubts that Xenoverse's first-week sales in the west will push the game over 100,000.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:59 pm

Saiyan Island has the first week sales for a couple PS2 games too.

Budokai 3 - 426,000
Tenkaichi - 203,000

They've fallen a long way since then, expected though.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Tenkachi 3 sold well because the hype that the game had. I remember Atari & Namco Bandai were hyping up the game with the biggest roster in DBZ gaming history. I remember Atari's youtube channel would post weekly character updates on the newest character in the game. I'm surprise how low the numbers for Budokai 3 where given how good the word of mouth that game got. Either people skip it because Budokai 2 sucked or the word of mouth didn't catch on to people.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Tenkachi 3 sold well because the hype that the game had. I remember Atari & Namco Bandai were hyping up the game with the biggest roster in DBZ gaming history. I remember Atari's youtube channel would post weekly character updates on the newest character in the game. I'm surprise how low the numbers for Budokai 3 where given how good the word of mouth that game got. Either people skip it because Budokai 2 sucked or the word of mouth didn't catch on to people.
Well Budokai 3 was vindicated by history and is now seen as the best Dragon Ball Z game ever. So you can say it got the last laugh in the end. :P

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:46 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Well Budokai 3 was vindicated by history and is now seen as the best Dragon Ball Z game ever. So you can say it got the last laugh in the end. :P
Well, by non-Dragon Ball fans and fighting game fans at least (which is no small feat). To me, it's like the Tekken 3 of the Dragon Ball fighting game series only not the best-selling.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:53 pm

Budokai 3,Tenkaichi 3 and Legacy of Goku 2 are usually the ones that are claimed to be the best most frequently.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:29 pm

I'm surprised Taiketsu sold as much as it did. I'm also surprised Budokai 3 didn't outsell its predecessors considering the hype it had back in 2004. But then both Budokai 1 and 2 got released on Gamecube in addition to PS2.