Dragon Ball Video Game Sales Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thesupergodman

Re: Video Games sales: Xenoverse 1.5 million shipped

Post by thesupergodman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:22 am

True, but then again I would really like more dev time for the sequel, along with a bigger budget and more dev teams working on the game, so that's just something I don't think DIMPS and Bandai Namco can pull of in a year. So I think the sequel's release date should be pushed back to 2018 at the farthest. :P

AM Reflection
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AM Reflection » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:15 am

I expect the sequel next year for sure. They already have the majority of the game complete. It's just a matter of adding the new story, adding some new characters and stages, adding simple features that should've already been in this game (2vs1, 3vs1, etc. in versus mode...custom colors for all clothing...) and then tweaking a few gameplay mechanics. The only way I see Xenoverse 2 getting delayed is if they decide to release a traditional fighter next year instead. And I think they're more likely to try and cash in on XV's success as quickly as possible.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:41 am

Oh, no, Xenoverse 2 should not come next year. I repeat. IT. SHALL. NOT. COME. NEXT. YEAR! I don't want them to repeat the same pattern as Activision aymore. I rather them to do the sequel for Early/Spring 2017 instead of next year. Dimps are known to make sequels feel like sequels. Look at all of the Budokai games for example.

Even Budokai 2 felt like a sequel to Budokai 1 gameplay wise, even though the changes weren't that big.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:37 am

I don't want to sound smug, but I was the first one to predict that Xenoverse would sell two millions units. I called it pretty good. 8)
thesupergodman wrote:True, but then again I would really like more dev time for the sequel, along with a bigger budget and more dev teams working on the game, so that's just something I don't think DIMPS and Bandai Namco can pull of in a year. So I think the sequel's release date should be pushed back to 2018 at the farthest. :P
No way in hell BN is gonna wait that long. They're gonna push out Xenoverse 2 as quickly as possible.
EXBadguy wrote:Oh, no, Xenoverse 2 should not come next year. I repeat. IT. SHALL. NOT. COME. NEXT. YEAR! I don't want them to repeat the same pattern as Activision aymore. I rather them to do the sequel for Early/Spring 2017 instead of next year. Dimps are known to make sequels feel like sequels. Look at all of the Budokai games for example.
That's what I was hoping for. But considering Xenoverse is turning into a bit of a runaway success, BN are gonna look to cash in on that success as quick as possible.

thesupergodman

Post by thesupergodman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:51 am

I guess Spring 2017 would be better. But I just want the sequel to add more to the series and fix all the problems the current game is fixing but suffering from. So by pushing the release date to 2018 I thought they would have all the time in the world to do that. Or is that wrong? :(

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:09 am

thesupergodman wrote:I guess Spring 2017 would be better. But I just want the sequel to add more to the series and fix all the problems the current game is fixing but suffering from. So by pushing the release date to 2018 I thought they would have all the time in the world to do that. Or is that wrong? :(
Well Dimps have a pretty good track recording at being able to make at least decent games with limited amounts of time, but I feel as though they really need a last 2 years to iron out all of the issues in the Xenoverse to make a more refined sequel.

thesupergodman

Post by thesupergodman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:42 am

All right then. Spring 2017 it is! :D

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:30 pm

I hope they don't release a game next year or it'll end up going back to the same problem of having games that are all pretty much the same which will only lose interest and lower sales.

They should put in a real effort to improve on the sequel over the next two years. They've sorta struck gold with Xenoverse and they'd be stupid to ruin that now.

If they wanna make money they've still got other things than console games.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:49 pm

Hopefully with the good sales we can see a sequel that addresses the servers, online functionality and general polish.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

thesupergodman

Post by thesupergodman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:55 pm

I been thinking about it for a while and I think the sequel's title should have a tagline. Like the one I made for example: DRAGONBALL XENOVERSE
WAR OF Z
So what do you guys think? :?:

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:09 pm

Xenoverse has sold 2.5 million copies! :D
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/15/da ... 2-million/

Silkman3003
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Silkman3003 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:39 pm

simply amazing.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:41 pm

EA575 wrote:Xenoverse has sold 2.5 million copies! :D
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/15/da ... 2-million/
Xenoverse 2 is gonna happen in 2016. No doubt about it now. The game is officially a success.

thesupergodman

Post by thesupergodman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Fucking Yes! :clap:

StrawHatPatriot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by StrawHatPatriot » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:50 pm

I really wanna pick this game up. The reception has been positive.

Is this the highest selling game in the series since Tenkaichi 3?

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:16 pm

StrawHatPatriot wrote:I really wanna pick this game up. The reception has been positive.

Easily. It's a long shot, but this game may be able to break the all-time record. If it can keep up momentum for just a few more weeks, BT3's "gold standard" of 4.02 million copies would be in reach.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:24 pm

It might have been a typo on the article because BN JP says 2 million: https://twitter.com/bnei876/status/588514563101822976
There will also be a tournament in May.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:27 pm

EA575 wrote:It might have been a typo on the article because BN JP says 2 million: https://twitter.com/bnei876/status/588514563101822976
There will also be a tournament in May.
It's a typo. Siliconera posts are often riddled with inaccurate information. Bandai Namco's press release states 2 million and gives regional totals:

1100k Americas
750k Europe
200k Asia
johnboy1 wrote:
StrawHatPatriot wrote:I really wanna pick this game up. The reception has been positive.

Easily. It's a long shot, but this game may be able to break the all-time record. If it can keep up momentum for just a few more weeks, BT3's "gold standard" of 4.02 million copies would be in reach.
Video game sales, especially modern ones on home consoles, are very front loaded.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Bullza
Banned

Re: Video Games sales: Xenoverse 2.5 million copies

Post by Bullza » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:28 pm

If it can keep up momentum for just a few more weeks, BT3's "gold standard" of 4.02 million copies would be in reach.
I'm not sure if Tenkaichi 3 sold as well as what Vgchartz says it did. Based on all official sales figures it sold less than Tenkaichi 2.

Budokai shipped 3.5 million. That's the most copies a DBZ game has shifted.

This looks to have done 2 million so far.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:33 pm

EA575 wrote:There will also be a tournament in May.
Where did you get that info from?

Although, if it is true, It looks like DIMPS are trying to clever and make the tournaments every three months, much like how they are every three years in the manga. I doubt anybody got that inside joke/reference.