Dragon Ball Video Game Sales Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Re: Video Games sales: Xenoverse 107k Week 2

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:06 pm

Bullza wrote:I think there's more to it than simply making them up, if you look at the sales for the previous games in the series they are in line with official figures that have been given. This is what the guy who runs the site had to say about how they come up with their numbers.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6880410

It's certainly not pin point accurate in the same way Media Create might be but it does give a general idea which is all that's really available until an official source comes in.
VGChartz goes back and revises their numbers once official data comes through:
One of the most unexpected results in the recent NPD charts for May was the appearance of the poorly reviewed Iron Man game for PlayStation 2 in the Top 10 of the charts, with 130,000 copies sold.

Thinking about it carefully, with the movie rocketing to unexpected success during the month, it would make sense that the game would sell well. But it's not the kind of game that you're likely to estimate in the Top 10 - and indeed VGChartz did not, estimating 53,000 units in sales, according to VGChartz staffers.

But what's surprising is that Iron Man for PlayStation 2 has been adjusted in its official VGChartz page so that its first four weeks of sales (encompassing May) add up to 111,000 units.

Clearly, these numbers have been changed after NPD debuted, showing a couple of things. Firstly, if you were a journalist, you could have cited VGChartz as saying Iron Man was a flop on PS2, selling half as many units - when NPD vibrantly disagrees. In addition, and more interestingly, it shows that VGChartz trusts NPD over their own prediction data by retroactively changing things to better match.
The amount of concrete data available to VGChartz is low - as is freely admitted in a recent interview, VGChartz had 2-3% of the North American market as a sample at the time, whereas by estimate, NPD might have 60-65%. If this 2-3% was clean and canonical, this might not matter - but how do you explain the big Iron Man discrepancy, if so? Wouldn't VGChartz' retail sources have picked it up too?
We picked two titles released for one of the next-gen consoles over the previous year, neither of which had been in the public NPD charts for more than a month, leaving VGChartz to make estimates based on their own sources on their selling curve over time.

Well, somewhat spectacularly, in both cases, NPD and VGChartz disagreed by about 100%. In one case, VGChartz was citing 300,000 sales, whereas NPD had the game at 150,000 units. And in the other case, it was inversed - NPD had the game at around 200,000, but VGChartz had it at 100,000.
This is an old article, but many of its points still carry weight against VGChartz: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1098 ... me_Biz.php
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

ScholarGohan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Video Games sales: Xenoverse 127k Week 3

Post by ScholarGohan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:00 am

DB Xenoverse is currently placed #1 in the top sellers list.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?f ... ers&os=win

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:27 am

ScholarGohan wrote:DB Xenoverse is currently placed #1 in the top sellers list.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?f ... ers&os=win
Probably because it was actually a really good PC port and positive word of mouth quickly spread of it.

Either way, this is great. :thumbup:

CM101Play
Beyond Newbie

Post by CM101Play » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:36 am

Which DB game had the biggest budget? If this thing is selling as well as we think, I wonder if DBXV2 could be that game?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:39 am

CM101Play wrote:Which DB game had the biggest budget? If this thing is selling as well as we think, I wonder if DBXV2 could be that game?
I reckon the Budokai games all had moderately big budget given they ran at 60fps, played smoothly, had cinematics in-game, and lack of technical issues. Not to mention B3 still holds up graphically even to this day.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:22 am

Okay, I FINALLY started getting Dragon Balls again! I did this mission so many freaking times...
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:02 pm

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=2073&s=1111
Warner Bros. Interactive secure their first No1 crown in just over a year with ‘Dying Light’ taking top spot.

The title has been available for almost a month on digital platforms but that does not prevent the physical release becoming the publisher’s first chart topping title since ‘The Lego Movie Videogame’. It’s also the third consecutive new IP to take top spot in the last three weeks. For developer Techland it marks another zombie themed No1 following the success of their Dead Island series. ‘Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’ (-15%) climbs to No2 despite a drop in sales. Another debutant lands at No3 in the form of ‘Dragon Ball Xenoverse’. Impressive sales for the new release see it claim the best week 1 in the UK for a Dragon Ball title.

PS4 exclusive ‘The Order: 1886’ (-56%) is knocked down to No4 in its second week. ‘Grand Theft Auto V’ (-5%) and ‘FIFA 15’ (-11%) are both non movers at No5 & No6 but Ubisoft’s ‘Far Cry 4’ (-40%) slips three places to No7. In its third week on the chart Take 2’s monster hunter ‘Evolve’ (-54%) is also down sliding five places to No8. The seemingly ever present ‘Minecraft: Xbox Edition’ (-28%) & ‘Minecraft: PlayStation Edition’ (-22%) round off the Top 10 at No9 & No10. A third debutant makes its mark in the Top 40 this week with ‘Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires’ landing at No21 for Xbox One and PS4. Price promotions also help propel Bethesda’s ‘Wolfenstein: The New Order’ (+80%) back into the Top 40 as it climbs 20 places to No25.
Individual Top 40:
PS4 at #4
XB1 at #8
360 at #39
PS3 didn't make the Top 40 (debuted at #2 in the PS3 charts)

Apparently this is the hardware split for Xenoverse:
PS4 (50%)
XBO (32%)
360 (9%)
PS3 (9%)
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Good find, best opening for a Dragon Ball game in UK eh? I did see it as high up as #3 on the Amazon video game charts as well as #1 on a couple others so it doesn't surprise me too much but it is a good thing for the series.

It's still #6 on there on Amazon at the moment. Hopefully its as successful elsewhere.

Here's the sales ranking for Xenoverse in Japan this week (no sales though)

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=199028

PS3 version is #7 and PS4 version is #13.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:18 pm

Fourth week sales

[PS3] Dragon Ball Xenoverse – 8,249 / 81,087
[PS4] Dragon Ball Xenoverse – 4,995 / 59,438

Total of 140,525 not including Xbox versions.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Bullza wrote:Fourth week sales

Still holding steady. :)

EveBlaze31
Beyond Newbie

Re: Video Games sales: Xenoverse 140k Week 4

Post by EveBlaze31 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:41 pm

Bullza wrote:Fourth week sales

If we knew Xbox sales that'd definitely be higher than it should be, probably around 200k

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:46 pm

EveBlaze31 wrote:If we knew Xbox sales that'd definitely be higher than it should be, probably around 200k
For Japan? I'm very doubtful.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:47 pm

If the Xbox versions sold 60k they would have charted. They didn't. I think it's more likely they're <10k combined.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:30 pm

I guarantee the sales will go up to almost 200k when they reveal the US and EU sales.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:49 pm

EXBadguy wrote:I guarantee the sales will go up to almost 200k when they reveal the US and EU sales.
I'd expect it to be over 300k actually.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:05 pm

EXBadguy wrote:I guarantee the sales will go up to almost 200k when they reveal the US and EU sales.
There won't be a reveal of that.

US and EU sales data aren't officially shared. NPD data for the US leaks, but EU is a mystery.

We're just going to have to wait for Bandai Namco's reports.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:37 am

This is from Vgchartz.

"Dragon Ball: Xenoverse  (PS4) added 8,909 pre-orders for a grand total of 54,707. Expect first week sales in the USA at retail to be in the 75,000 to 100,000 unit range. Expect the game to sell between 450,000 units and 650,000 units lifetime in the US at retail.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse  (XOne) added 4,588 pre-orders for a final total of 32,002. Expect first week sales in the USA at retail to be in the 45,000 to 60,000 unit range. Expect the game to sell between 300,000 units and 400,000 units lifetime in the US at retail.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse  (PS3) added 2,558 pre-orders for a final total of 23,068. Expect first week sales in the USA at retail to be in the 30,000 to 45,000 unit range. Expect the game to sell between 200,000 units and 300,000 units lifetime in the US at retail."

Take that as you will but in summary that'd mean a 150k-205k opening week in sales not including the X360 or PC sales of which even the low end of that would make it by far the best opening a DBZ game has had in US in years.

And a 950k-1350k lifetime sales again not including the X360 or PC.

So yeah, looking good I guess.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:29 am

What's the point on releasing the Xbox version of the game in Japan if the Xbox version is keep on selling poorly in Japan?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super SaiyaJon
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super SaiyaJon » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:36 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:What's the point on releasing the Xbox version of the game in Japan if the Xbox version is keep on selling poorly in Japan?
Well, they were going to make the Xbone version for the worldwide release anyway, as it will generate a lot of profit. There's no reason to specifically avoid releasing it in Japan. It cost them nothing extra to release it there, so they will make a (pretty much) guaranteed profit, even if it's not a lot.
Kakacarrottop wrote: That's the problem with the "Dragon Ball" fanbase, it's too divided. There's "FUNimation fanboys", "Kai fanboys", "Ocean fanboys", "Japanese fanboys", we need to stop attacking each other and realize we're all fans of the same thing.
Saiga wrote:Gandalf: Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?

Goku: Yes, actually.

Gandalf: Oh. Neat.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:57 am

Super SaiyaJon wrote:Well, they were going to make the Xbone version for the worldwide release anyway, as it will generate a lot of profit. There's no reason to specifically avoid releasing it in Japan. It cost them nothing extra to release it there, so they will make a (pretty much) guaranteed profit, even if it's not a lot.
I wish they would've thought like that and put the game on Wii U. The map and sub-menus and such would've been neat on the gamepad.