Goku in Super Smash Bros. ?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kickass_720

Goku in Super Smash Bros. ?

Post by kickass_720 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:53 pm

Nintendo now taking suggestions for who to include in Smash Bros.
It's worth a shot!
http://kotaku.com/lets-try-to-get-goku- ... 1695148439

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Goku in Super Smash Bros. ?

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:58 pm

I very much doubt Nintendo would actually put Goku in Smash Bros. even if he got enough votes to qualify (I can imagine obtaining the rights being an absolute nightmare to deal with). I did vote for Bayonetta, Wolf & Snake though :).

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:58 pm

I'm pretty sure Sakurai said that only video game characters can be in Smash Bros. I remember when Brawl was coming out, he said that third party characters must have originate from a video game and been on more then one Nintendo system.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Goku would be great, but everyone should go vote for Sora.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:07 pm

I love Goku, but he already stars in that Jump SSB clone game, and he's an anime character over VG one.

...I...I want...Metal Sonic! D:
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Hopefully most of those are jokes since Gokuu isn't exactly a video game character. He very much belongs to the manga and anime world.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:10 pm

Big Momma wrote:Goku would be great, but everyone should go vote for Sora.
Yeah, Sora was my first pick as well. No offense to Goku, but he's got J Stars.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:11 pm

Attempting a serious, Dragon Ball related reply...

Super Smash Brothers isn't "super crazy hyper media crossover fun time." It's Nintendo VS Nintendo. Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Sonic The Hedgehog are rare exceptions who have earned their respective spots on the roster over a period of decades with many quality titles on Nintendo platforms. Son Goku is a comic book character with some licensed video games. It's not going to happen. Even the Kotaku article you posted was written with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Requesting Goku, Sora, Agumon, or anything weird like that is going against the point of this valuable opportunity and wasting Nintendo's time.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:14 pm

MagicBox wrote: Requesting Goku, Sora, Agumon, or anything weird like that is going against the point of this valuable opportunity and wasting Nintendo's time.
Sora has been a main character in numerous Nintendo games. Most of the KH spinoffs are on Nintendo products.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:23 pm

I was mostly referring to my "Smash is Nintendo VS Nintendo" point when I said that. Third-party characters seem to have been held to a very high standard this time around, which is why only the "big three" were selected. I have a feeling Nintendo is only really looking for suggestions of other Nintendo characters with the survey they announced today. Ice Climbers, Star Wolf, things like that. Sora doesn't fit in with that, cool as he is.

I think the closest Goku will ever get to one of these games is with something like J-Stars. And that's perfectly fine.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:30 pm

Return my Snake and Awakening R(oy) are my votes.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:36 pm

I doubt Nintendo will use Sora for Smash Bros given that he is also own by Disney. Disney would likely ask a lot of money for Nintendo to use the character.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:39 pm

No. It's not worth a shot. Goku is a manga/anime character. Only video game characters who have some relationship to nintendo should be suggested. It'd already be a stretch enough to try and suggest a second third party character from the same series that's already in the game. Like Mega Man X, Bass, Tails, Ms. Pacman, etc.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:42 pm

Nope. Siegfried and Nightmare please.

And besides, Goku's too strong for a game like SSB. J Stars can get away with it, but not SSB.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:57 pm

Why is this even a thing? Goku should be nowhere near something like Super Smash Bros. Keep this for video game only characters. Which Goku isn't.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:30 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Nope. Siegfried and Nightmare please.

And besides, Goku's too strong for a game like SSB. J Stars can get away with it, but not SSB.
Mario rewrite the entire galaxy at the end of Super Mario Galaxy. And so did Captain Falcon at the end of the F-Zero anime. Link can manipulate time.
Any anime character won't make it. I entered the Inkling from Splatoon.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:31 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Why is this even a thing? Goku should be nowhere near something like Super Smash Bros.
http://kbhgames.com/super-smash-flash-2/ :D
This is probably why
:D

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:33 pm

MagicBox wrote:I was mostly referring to my "Smash is Nintendo VS Nintendo" point when I said that. Third-party characters seem to have been held to a very high standard this time around, which is why only the "big three" were selected. I have a feeling Nintendo is only really looking for suggestions of other Nintendo characters with the survey they announced today. Ice Climbers, Star Wolf, things like that. Sora doesn't fit in with that, cool as he is.

I think the closest Goku will ever get to one of these games is with something like J-Stars. And that's perfectly fine.
I get what you're saying.

If restricted to just Nintendo characters, I'd suggest either Dark Samus or a resized Ridley. We need a Metroid villain.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:06 am

Smash Bros. isn't "these are the real characters, with their actual powers, fighting." The relative strengths of the actual characters are irrelevant. Heck, sometimes even the abilities of the actual characters are irrelevant--when the first Smash Bros. came out all Captain Falcon could canonically do is drive fast and Fox McCloud could only pilot spaceships really well (Falcon Punch and all of Fox's moves were Smash Bros. originals), and Ness and Lucas couldn't use PK Fire or Thunder or Freeze or Starstorm in their own games at all, yet they randomly have them in the SSB games. They're just little plastic figurines that come to life and fight--some kid's Goku action figure does not have the same power level as the real Goku, even if it did magically come to life and start firing tiny little Kamehamehas around. If they were supposed to be on a similar level of power to the actual characters they represent, then somebody playing as a Jigglypuff or no-name Animal Crossing villager would never be able to beat somebody playing as Mewtwo or Ness or Samus Aran in her power suit or Sonic or Bowser or... well, pretty much anyone else in the game!

Smash Bros. is basically the fighting game equivalent of some kid taking their entire collection of action figures and putting them in a big pile, then coming up with fights and stories featuring all of them, regardless of whether or not they're actually from the same series or not or if any of it even would make sense with the actual characters these figures represent.

But still, as has been said by several people already: Goku doesn't fit in because he's not a video game character. He's a manga/anime character first and only later starred in some video games. I figure if a non-video-game company owns the rights to a character (as is the case with any anime/manga character, and maybe with Sora too because of the Disney connection) they don't have any chance of making it into a future Smash Bros. game. Sora's kind of a gray area--he's a video game character first, like everyone else in Smash Bros. is, but does the Disney connection rule him out entirely or just make him unlikely due to the costs involved?

Ryuji-Otogi
Banned

Post by Ryuji-Otogi » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:35 am

That would be sweet. I don't ever see this happening but hey why not

On a side note I can't wait to play J Stars when it comes out on PS4.