What if Budokai failed back at 2002?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

What if Budokai failed back at 2002?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:57 pm

The first Budokai is often credited as this revelation for DBZ games due to a large number of low-quality DBZ games before it, as it was more than just a cheap cash-in. It was a good DBZ game for the time and an alright fighter.

But what if it failed be it critically and/or commercially? Would Atari/Namco eventually give up when the DBZ craze in North America dies out (1999-2003), would it just give Dimps more incentive to turn it up a notch for the sequel, or would another game take it's place?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: What if Budokai failed back at 2002?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:25 am

They would have try again a few years later.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:26 am

... You answered this question 8 months ago:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:They would still go at it but instead of releasing games that are, for the most parts, a labor of love they'd only release low quality cash-in after low quality cash-in then they'd give up around 2004, when the series is past it's peak in NA.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=29203
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:53 pm

They have to release a new DB game every year anyway so might as well try again with a sequel
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Fresh Prince
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fresh Prince » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:26 am

Captain Strawberry wrote:They have to release a new DB game every year anyway so might as well try again with a sequel
Budokai 2 didn't top Budokai imo.

yet we got Budokai 3, if we got Budokai 1 and 2 and people didn't like it and came out with 3 people would like 3 but would Budokai 3 even exist if Budokai 2 does worse than the "failed" Budokai of 2002?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:14 am

Well they tried to replicate the same success with Yu Yu Hakusho except that did fail. I think they did one more game after that and then you never heard from it again.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:34 am

It wouldn't have mattered, because other games from other developers were already in the works to pick up the slack.

Legendary Super Warriors (a Japanese-made Game Boy Color game) and Legacy of Goku (an American-made Game Boy Advance game) were there for the kid audience, which was more important at that point for a solid grounding moving forward. One failed console game wouldn't have mattered, and they likely would have followed it up anyway with a sequel (which would have been in the works by the time the game shipped, anyway), and pending garbage sales on the first game while development on the second continued, switched developers earlier than they did for Spike to mix things up.

But meanwhile, there were still tons of portable games coming out, and those were just as important.

So, ultimately, I'd say it wouldn't have mattered one way or the other if Budokai #1 specifically failed. They still would have created more console games, and they in all likelihood would have continued with fighting games on the consoles regardless.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::