Toriyama and DBO

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supacomboy
Not-So-Newbie

Toriyama and DBO

Post by supacomboy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:25 pm

I have seen a few people say Toriyama was directly involved with many aspects of DBO, such as background story and character designs etc., yet I can't find any sources for this. Is this the case? Are there any sources for it? Did Kazenshuu/Daizenshuu EX ever do a podcast on DBOnline?

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Toriyama and DBO

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:16 am

Toriyama worked on designs for a minimum of 5 years and was required to sign off on every aspect of the game to maintain an authentic Dragon World feel. A good portion of the source sites that covered this are no longer around and only some of them were archived via the wayback machine...which still requires Google Translate, and, as always, that tends to butcher the hell out of them.

I don't remember where the quote about him working for 5 years is, but I had to make a post a few years ago about his supervision of the game, so I do have the previous "DBO Guy's" work on that. Websites in the quotes below are pre-wayback'd for convenience.
Amaranth Sparrow wrote:Just dropping in to give a bit more information on this.

Yes, Dragon Ball Online is real, not an April Fools Joke. V-Jump is a respected Japanese gaming magazine, and the scan is legitimate. It has been confirmed by other reliable Japanese gaming news sources, and more importantly, by a Bandai Namco Games press release.
http://web.archive.org/web/200811191622 ... 52-081.pdf (requires a Japanese font pack).

The game is being developed by NTL and published by Bandai Namco Games for Windows PCs, and will be released in South Korea in Summer 2007, and some time in 2008 in Japan.

The game world is set in the future of the original series, and players will be able to create their own characters, and interact with main characters who appeared in the original, as well as new, original characters who live in the Dragon Ball world, and will be a gameplay exprience that can only be expressed as an MMO.

On top of that, it is stated that Akira Toriyama has complete supervision over the story and character designs.

It is being developed in Korea to take advantage of their experience with developing online games [MMORPGs are much more popular in Korea than they are in Japan].

More information is scheduled to be released through the Bandai Namco Games website: http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/

More info:

http://web.archive.org/web/200703281852 ... 20_15.html

Not much news online yet, traditionally, the gaming mags get the news first, and its published online a bit later.

I also uploaded some better quality versions of the logo and screenshots:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ ... e/db01.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ ... e/db02.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ ... e/db03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ ... e/db04.jpg

The game uses almost the exact same User Interface as World of Warcraft.
Amaranth Sparrow wrote:http://web.archive.org/web/201001301726 ... info35.php Bit of news, an "NTL X Bandai Korea Interview", following up on DBO's rapid rise into Korea's top ten online games chart.

They basically explain that NTL is a company that exists in Korea and Japan at the same time, and was originally founded in Japan in 2003 to work on some Disney 3D animation projects. They were then brought into the Dragon Ball Online Project in late 2003, and it entered into the conceptualization phase in 2004. Because the online gaming market is stronger in Korea, they worked in tandem with Bandai Japan and Bandai Korea, then formed their own Korean branch in 2004. Six years later, NTL is a company that is currently dedicated solely to Dragon Ball Online. They go on to explain their relationship with Bandai Korea, CJ Internet, and Shueisha and how that relates to the DBO Project.

They again summarize that the idea behind DBO was to unite Korean experience in online game development with Japanese creative force to create something that could transcend their respective cultures and make an impact on the whole world. They say that their motto is "harmony", with both Japanese and Korean staff members working together, bringing their own talents to the table. They currently have about 80 people working on the game between Japan and Korea, and the staff is growing. The game has been in direct development for five years, and has existed conceptually for about six. They'd originally planned to have it out in 2007, but they make a veiled mention of the release of World of Warcraft in 2004, and their need to greatly expand DBO to raise standards so it could compete, and also to incorporate as many requests from players as possible.

Next, they talk a bit about the story, and Akira Toriyama's involvement. Basically, they say that the story of Dragon Ball Online can't be the same as the original story, because it's set 250 years later, and they need to have new events for the present setting. They say that they're trying to implement the most original stories, and that everything is produced under the supervision of the original author, Akira Toriyama, and Shueisha, the copyright holders.

They then go on to discuss the hows and whys of implementing familiar elements from the manga, like the Tenkaichi Budokai, Scouters, and Jan Ken, and what sort of content they'd like to add in the future. They say that those things had to be included because it wouldn't feel like Dragon Ball without them.

They mention that when it comes to special techniques, they have to strike a balance for the sake of gameplay and that they can't always just look at how powerful they were in the original, though it's really cool to see a famous skill thrown in at the end of a combo. They want to eventually implement team-up attacks. They also mention that they have to come up with a lot of completely original abilities, simply because they're required for the sake of gameplay, but that it can be a difficult process because Akira Toriyama and Shueisha have to consent to every ability they come up with. This is taken very seriously, so that anything they develop can be considered an official part of Dragon Ball.

They then basically emphasize that everything that actually gets developed has to be supervised by Shueisha and checked by Toriyama before being placed in the game, and that such an influence gives an official touch to everything in the game.

They talk a bit about why they decided to move from console games to an online game, and to shift from a game about fighting to a more thoughtful game about going to important places, where players can enjoy the world of Dragon Ball firsthand. They mention that, even though it's set 250 years in the future, they implemented a lot of features to allow fans of the original to enjoy it, too.

They talk a bit about the original concept, which was that rather than copying or imitating the original, they'd make an official sequel set 250 years later, to make something that's "the real deal". They mention that they also wanted to make it for the sake of the people who already love the setting, and because of that, it can appeal to people all over, from schoolchildren to the middle-aged. They say that DBO is the rare sort of MMORPG that could be cross-generational in a positive way. They didn't want to make a game that targets any one country, but rather something that could be considered world-class. They talk a bit about localization, and basically say that, since people all over the world already love the setting, and that they're developing it with a worldwide audience in mind, they don't want changes and mistakes in the localization process (like changing items, gameplay balance, how clothing or characters look, etc.). They say that if things get changed, they'll get flamed by Dragon Ball fans all over.

They go on to say that NTL and Bandai have to "move very carefully" with Shueisha when it comes to targeting Japan and the rest of the world, and they apologize to the fans waiting for such details, because they can't reveal anything about that yet. Even so, they're eager to start working on the Japanese release, they plan to expand to a worldwide release, and they think it'll be a game that can be continually updated and expanded on indefinitely.

They finish up a bit by talking about other projects, to which they say they're pretty much focused entirely on DBO, then giving some shout outs to the Japanese fans. It's mentioned that there seem to be some preconceptions in Japan, like free-to-play MMORPGs being more expensive due to the cash shops, or that copyrighted stuff shouldn't be put into online games. They basically ask fans to wait for more information or to keep an eye on the Korean version.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:27 am

I really liked DBO's story. That tragi-mance ending it gave Gokû and Vegeta was so beautifully bittersweet, I loved it.
The princess-catch in Super is child's play compared to DBO's "Vegeta I'm dying and I wanna die with you so let's secretly runaway together into outer-space and settle our rivalry with a battle to the death.". あ〜ん!( = u = )

I don't remember there ever being a podcast episode about DBO, but there was a big thread full of info a while back; most of it's probably still intact.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:15 pm

I really, really hope they do something with Dragon Ball Online's backstory in the future. It was so well thought out.
Chuquita wrote:I don't remember there ever being a podcast episode about DBO, but there was a big thread full of info a while back; most of it's probably still intact.
There actually was a podcast episode discussing the DBO timeline.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:02 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:I really, really hope they do something with Dragon Ball Online's backstory in the future. It was so well thought out.
Chuquita wrote:I don't remember there ever being a podcast episode about DBO, but there was a big thread full of info a while back; most of it's probably still intact.
Just wait and see what Xenoverse does with it.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:39 pm

I would like to see some stuff from DBO to make into Xenoverse 2 like the Time Breaker stones. The giant Ginyu frog would make a cool boss battle. I also do like a lot of the story ideas from DBO expect for Fat Buu dining from old age. I always found that kinda stupid since Buu is a creation of magic and would have no reason to grow old.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:59 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would like to see some stuff from DBO to make into Xenoverse 2 like the Time Breaker stones. The giant Ginyu frog would make a cool boss battle. I also do like a lot of the story ideas from DBO expect for Fat Buu dining from old age. I always found that kinda stupid since Buu is a creation of magic and would have no reason to grow old.
Majin Boo died from old age in the DBO timeline? I didn't know that... :eh:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:00 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I would like to see some stuff from DBO to make into Xenoverse 2 like the Time Breaker stones. The giant Ginyu frog would make a cool boss battle. I also do like a lot of the story ideas from DBO expect for Fat Buu dining from old age. I always found that kinda stupid since Buu is a creation of magic and would have no reason to grow old.
I thought he died because he lost a lot of Ki creating his wife and children.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:01 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:I really, really hope they do something with Dragon Ball Online's backstory in the future. It was so well thought out.
I'm almost certain Xenovesre 2 is gonna dig deeper into the lore of Dragon Ball Online considering how much of a success the first game was.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Doctor. wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:
I thought he died because he lost a lot of Ki creating his wife and children.
It reduced his life-spawn, which is how he died of old age.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:55 am

Kami I miss playing that game. Yeah it was buggy, insanely pay-to-win and aggravating with a lousy community, but it was still a fun game to play.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:05 am

Here's hoping that Xenoverse 2 will take more of DBO's story, and adapt it even further.

SaitoSenpai

Post by SaitoSenpai » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:00 am

supacomboy wrote:I have seen a few people say Toriyama was directly involved with many aspects of DBO, such as background story and character designs etc., yet I can't find any sources for this. Is this the case? Are there any sources for it? Did Kazenshuu/Daizenshuu EX ever do a podcast on DBOnline?
Yup It's awesome if you ever played the game to see more indept creation of Toriyama work, The design of the game made it unique. Kinda reminds me of when I watch Blue Dragon, the art style right away reminds you. This is Toriyama work. Xenoverse took from DBO and expand on it. Though DBO has many more Unique trait then Xenoverse.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:25 am

FoolsGil wrote:Here's hoping that Xenoverse 2 will take more of DBO's story, and adapt it even further.
Time breaker Bardock and Super Mira please!
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

HECTOR4
Regular

Post by HECTOR4 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:45 am

I found Toriyama designs for Towa and Miira:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

This comes from Korean Dragon Ball Online Official Guide Book:

http://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoin ... =JC0315001

Link: http://dumke.deviantart.com/

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:

I'm almost certain Xenovesre 2 is gonna dig deeper into the lore of Dragon Ball Online considering how much of a success the first game was.
Beerus, Beerus. I'm uh sorry to break the bad news... Buutt.... You don't exactly get your wish

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:08 am

Gog wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:
Beerus, Beerus. I'm uh sorry to break the bad news... Buutt.... You don't exactly get your wish
Yeah Xenoverse 2's story was hot garbage compared to what awesome things they could have done. Here's hoping for a more interesting story in Xenoverse 3, but I'm not holding my breath.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:48 pm

I think now is a better time than ever to revitalize the concepts from this game. The XV series is extremely watered down in respects to the story. The DBO lore is incredible and it boggles my mind that they didn't use more of that source material.

As far as a dragonball mmo, that is my dream game, they really dropped the ball on its development, but now I think its the perfect to capitalize or gradually turn XV into a better quasi-mmo.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721