DragonBall Online

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FlashFinalVegeta
Not-So-Newbie

DragonBall Online

Post by FlashFinalVegeta » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:00 pm

does anyone know if that game will ever come back online?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: DragonBall Online

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:44 pm

The game is permanently closed in all territories.

There were / is / are groups working to translate the game and/or revive the game on private servers (similar to other efforts with games like Phantasy Star Online), but that's it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:21 pm

Isn't Xenoverse "bringing back" the entire lore added in DBO anyway? So it's not like its contribution/addition to the franchise is compeltly lost

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Basaku wrote:Isn't Xenoverse "bringing back" the entire lore added in DBO anyway? So it's not like its contribution/addition to the franchise is compeltly lost
Xenoverse only borrows certain elements and characters from DBO, but it is no way related to that game. The devlopers even stated this themselves.

FlashFinalVegeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FlashFinalVegeta » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:28 pm

well that sucks. Hopefully one day they will take in consideration of bring it back. It seemed very popular

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:30 pm

FlashFinalVegeta wrote:well that sucks. Hopefully one day they will take in consideration of bring it back. It seemed very popular
Dead MMOs don't really come back.

They're absolutely mining the game's story for plot points and characters (see: XENOVERSE and current Heroes material), but BlazingBarrrager is accurate in saying that it's not a 1:1 copy of the DBO storyline.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:14 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
FlashFinalVegeta wrote:well that sucks. Hopefully one day they will take in consideration of bring it back. It seemed very popular

They're absolutely mining the game's story for plot points and characters (see: XENOVERSE and current Heroes material), but BlazingBarrrager is accurate in saying that it's not a 1:1 copy of the DBO storyline.
Which is a shame because DBO's storyline showed a lot of potential. Hell they gave us a massive timeskip explanation between the end of the manga and when DBO starts. Man what a waste.

FlashFinalVegeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FlashFinalVegeta » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:23 am

BlazingBarrrager wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

Which is a shame because DBO's storyline showed a lot of potential. Hell they gave us a massive timeskip explanation between the end of the manga and when DBO starts. Man what a waste.
Then what is the new Dragonball Online Games everyone plays now?

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:02 am

FlashFinalVegeta wrote:Then what is the new Dragonball Online Games everyone plays now?
There are two sites; dboglobal.com and dborevelations.com. These are fan efforts to revive the game. Check them out, they've been doing some good work.

As far as DBO, BlazingBarringer is indeed correct, it is such a waste. The game and story had so much potential. And while I was happy to see some of the elements in Xenoverse, it was disappointing because its not the same game. Have the game been marketed properly, released in the states, and was given a proper developer, I know it would've been successful. An open world MMO based on Dragon Ball, still can't believe they blew it.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:53 am

dualist wrote:As far as DBO, BlazingBarringer is indeed correct, it is such a waste. The game and story had so much potential. And while I was happy to see some of the elements in Xenoverse, it was disappointing because its not the same game. Have the game been marketed properly, released in the states, and was given a proper developer, I know it would've been successful. An open world MMO based on Dragon Ball, still can't believe they blew it.
People keep saying that releasing it in the states would have helped make it last longer. I honestly find that hard to believe considering all the other MMOs that it would have to contend to. I do agree that they should have picked another company instead of NTL to do it, but to be fair they didn't have a lot of money to work with in the first place. After all, they only got the rights to use the manga and Bardock in the game.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:01 am

BlazingBarrrager wrote:People keep saying that releasing it in the states would have helped make it last longer. I honestly find that hard to believe considering all the other MMOs that it would have to contend to. I do agree that they should have picked another company instead of NTL to do it, but to be fair they didn't have a lot of money to work with in the first place. After all, they only got the rights to use the manga and Bardock in the game.
Bardock is in the manga, and money wasn't the issue. it's not that they couldn't afford the rights to anything else, Shueisha and the other powers at be didn't want to give them the rights to anything else out of "caution" for the brand. There were so many restrictions behind the scenes of what characters (even from the manga) they could and couldn't use, as well as for what purpose, it was ridiculous. The game wasn't set in AGE 1000 for the lore, it was so that they had limited characters to tinker with.

Despite all the restrictions and general racial tension between Japan and Korea, NTL did a pretty amazing job crafting a game that had that Dragon Ball feel and making it work, for the most part. The lore especially was a perfect example of making the best of a bad situation.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:52 am

I think it's fair to say that Dragonball Online was a failure before it even saw much of a release. It was developed on-the-cheap in Korea with a plan to roll it out across Asia, but in the end, the game didn't even see a release in Japan because publishers just wouldn't back the thing. Where it did see a localised release (South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong) the game was shipped out as free-to-play with the option of in-game purchases - but it was a model that ultimately failed in all three versions due to a simple lack of players. As someone who used to play the Taiwanese version, I'm willing to vouch for the fact that the game itself just wasn't very good; it was clunky, repetitive and bug-laden.

It's strange that the most valuable legacy of the game was in fact Toriyama's involvement. His premise, character designs and the assets that were produced by the developers have, as has previously been stated, found life in Dragonball Heroes and Xenoverse most profoundly.

For what it's worth, Xenoverse is very much the best of Dragonball Online in spirit. While it's a fighting game at heart, the customisable characters, overarching plot-line and MMORPG elements are very much in the ilk of Dragonball Online, save for the dystopean sort of quasi-pre-Z Dragon world full of annoying fodder monsters and derivative foes such as the 'Red Pants Army'. The Time-Breakers were interesting, albeit underdeveloped foes, and I think that Xenoverse re-purposed them quite well into something that made a little more sense.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

FlashFinalVegeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FlashFinalVegeta » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:36 pm

Blade wrote:I think it's fair to say that Dragonball Online was a failure before it even saw much of a release. It was developed on-the-cheap in Korea with a plan to roll it out across Asia, but in the end, the game didn't even see a release in Japan because publishers just wouldn't back the thing. Where it did see a localised release (South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong) the game was shipped out as free-to-play with the option of in-game purchases - but it was a model that ultimately failed in all three versions due to a simple lack of players. As someone who used to play the Taiwanese version, I'm willing to vouch for the fact that the game itself just wasn't very good; it was clunky, repetitive and bug-laden.

It's strange that the most valuable legacy of the game was in fact Toriyama's involvement. His premise, character designs and the assets that were produced by the developers have, as has previously been stated, found life in Dragonball Heroes and Xenoverse most profoundly.

For what it's worth, Xenoverse is very much the best of Dragonball Online in spirit. While it's a fighting game at heart, the customisable characters, overarching plot-line and MMORPG elements are very much in the ilk of Dragonball Online, save for the dystopean sort of quasi-pre-Z Dragon world full of annoying fodder monsters and derivative foes such as the 'Red Pants Army'. The Time-Breakers were interesting, albeit underdeveloped foes, and I think that Xenoverse re-purposed them quite well into something that made a little more sense.
I didn't know any of that. Thanks for the information

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:19 pm

I have to disagree with Blade. I've played DB Online for good 2 years, and I have a really fond experience of these days. It was a very charming game and now that I am able to compare, I would gladly choose it over Xenoverse. Searching for Dragon Balls was actually interesting and when one dropped, there was always a sense of excitement. In XV it already gets boring after you collect the first set and you have to do it all over again.

Also yeah, MMORPG elements aren't even a contest. It's not even possible to leave Toki Toki City and adventure around the Dragon World. Having Guild wars, participating in the World Tournament and the overall fact that DBO was much more social.

Not to mention the enjoyable events like this, which showed that developers atleast slightly cared about their product:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn3dFf57jVw

What did Xeno get for Christmas? Absolutely nothing.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:02 pm

The things that really got me steamed about DBO was how negative the community was ingame, especially when it came to English players and such. Hell I would nickname the PvP platform "the Hate platform." Also the game was waaaaaaay too "pay to win" to the point of ridiculousness. A lot of the nessecary items you needed were only available through either events or cash shop, which basically put the top players as the "ones who paid more" instead of pure skill. Also the races/classes were horribly balanced.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the game for its rich story and PvE options for dungeons, TMQs, etc. Hell I prefered doing that over PvP and I even got a couple of friends to record TMQ/UD (Ultimate Dungeon) quests we did together.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:26 am

The PvP platform brings a lot of memories now though :D
All that hate and wars turned into nothing as everyone got wiped out in the end.

I have plenty of screenshots from my adventure of this game. It feels great to go over them. It was also my first 3D MMORPG ever, so that also gives me another view on this game.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:46 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:
dualist wrote:As far as DBO, BlazingBarringer is indeed correct, it is such a waste. The game and story had so much potential. And while I was happy to see some of the elements in Xenoverse, it was disappointing because its not the same game. Have the game been marketed properly, released in the states, and was given a proper developer, I know it would've been successful. An open world MMO based on Dragon Ball, still can't believe they blew it.
People keep saying that releasing it in the states would have helped make it last longer. I honestly find that hard to believe considering all the other MMOs that it would have to contend to. I do agree that they should have picked another company instead of NTL to do it, but to be fair they didn't have a lot of money to work with in the first place. After all, they only got the rights to use the manga and Bardock in the game.
The main reason why I think it might've had success in the states is because the overwhelming Dragonball fans here. There are a lot of MMOs to compete with and I play a couple now. But I would stop playing them all if DBO was around and I know there are plenty of others who feel the same way. If they were to revisit the game, now would be the perfect time considering the movies and Super. But Xenoverse is the extent of what we'll get from DBO.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:32 am

Random question I'm throwing in here because I don't think it needs its own topic:

Is Jinzōningen 9 actually a rebuilt Red Sōsui, or is he made in Red's image a la 16?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!