"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri May 26, 2017 10:14 am

I've actually had solid 1v1 experiences with others so far, but I've heard ranked is much worse with spamming and whatnot and I've been doing unranked myself.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri May 26, 2017 11:55 am

Godszgift wrote: Also please no more Dbz 2d fighters. those games were the epitome of mashocism​. The budokai series was so awkward and boring to play you might as well watch paint dry for entertainment
I remember break my dodge button on that bloody Broly fight Bullshit...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Godszgift wrote:Also please no more Dbz 2d fighters. those games were the epitome of mashocism​. The budokai series was so awkward and boring to play you might as well watch paint dry for entertainment
Perhaps in regards to Budokai 1 and 2. But Budokai 3 and the Shin Budokai series? Nope. Don't agree with that assessment at all.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Fri May 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Godszgift wrote:
Also please no more Dbz 2d fighters. those games were the epitome of mashocism​. The budokai series was so awkward and boring to play you might as well watch paint dry for entertainment
This is why you play Super DBZ.

Regarding Team Battles, yeah, Xenoverse doesn't do them good and it's not like it's very hard to fix. 1: Establish an actual way to win the fights besides knocking the entire opposite team down or wait for time overs. J-Stars, Gundam, Dissidia do this by having Team Lifebars and it makes it so that even if you die you can still fight instead of mindlessly watching your friend die. 2: Have an actual decent lock on system that lets you switch targets whenever you want so you can keep an eye on everyone. It's that easy.
Lord Beerus wrote:
Godszgift wrote:Also please no more Dbz 2d fighters. those games were the epitome of mashocism​. The budokai series was so awkward and boring to play you might as well watch paint dry for entertainment
Perhaps in regards to Budokai 1 and 2. But Budokai 3 and the Shin Budokai series? Nope. Don't agree with that assessment at all.
I do, besides maybe Shin Budokai 2, they're still not that great as fighting games.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Fri May 26, 2017 1:04 pm

New 56MB update released. Some bugs have been fixed.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri May 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Well, the TP Medal Shop remains consistent. Divine Lasso, the other Pack 3 skills, and even the newer outfits and accessories are available, but still no Camo Bikini. Unfortunately, the "turning time forward" method doesn't seem to work in reverse either.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri May 26, 2017 5:45 pm

Plus, no matter if you like the Budokai-like games or not; changing Xenoverse into a 2.5D fighting game would be an stupid move.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Fri May 26, 2017 7:22 pm

I absolutely effing hate the team player mode in the XV series for taking out the struggles. I hope for a XV3, it would have a tag battle similar to Tenkaichi, that way some of the features from previous games can return, and then they can have a mode where you can play in a beat-em-up mode similar to the tag team we have now.

And no, we don't need to compete with EVO. Don't get me wrong it'd be nice to have a competitive game similar to Super DBZ or Hyper DBZ, but wanting anime games to be part of EVO that badly makes us sound really pretentious if you ask me. It makes us sound like some youtubers you see talking smack about the Tenkaichi games just because other folks from certain fighting communities laughed at the 2D DBZ fighting games for being broken(and no, I ain't saying the Tenkaichi fanboys are any better). Ya don't see people from other popular animes series desiring for that like the Naruto Storm fanbase, and I hate the Storm games (after Storm 2) for not having depth in the combat, but only because the PS2 ones and the Clash of Ninja games had more in their battle systems and content than the Storm games do, it ain't got nothing to do with competition.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:27 pm

EXBadguy wrote:I absolutely effing hate the team player mode in the XV series for taking out the struggles. I hope for a XV3, it would have a tag battle similar to Tenkaichi, that way some of the features from previous games can return, and then they can have a mode where you can play in a beat-em-up mode similar to the tag team we have now.

And no, we don't need to compete with EVO. Don't get me wrong it'd be nice to have a competitive game similar to Super DBZ or Hyper DBZ, but wanting anime games to be part of EVO that badly makes us sound really pretentious if you ask me. It makes us sound like some youtubers you see talking smack about the Tenkaichi games just because other folks from certain fighting communities laughed at the 2D DBZ fighting games for being broken(and no, I ain't saying the Tenkaichi fanboys are any better). Ya don't see people from other popular animes series desiring for that like the Naruto Storm fanbase, and I hate the Storm games (after Storm 2) for not having depth in the combat, but only because the PS2 ones and the Clash of Ninja games had more in their battle systems and content than the Storm games do, it ain't got nothing to do with competition.
Totally agree. The competitive fighting game scene is ruining the genre

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sat May 27, 2017 6:19 am

EXBadguy wrote:Words
I think the move from Cutscene supers to making everything real time was a poisitive one, Tenakichi Tag Team tried to simply be BT3 with 2V2 and the result wasn't that great (although it had a better targeting system than XV). Zenkai still managed to implement Beam Struggles into its gameplay so it's possible to implement it in a real time setting (hell, make something like ESF where other players can join in if they're in a correct angle). It could be a little better for certain Ultimates (specially ones that let the opponent fall down mid animation) but it's not terrible.

As for the second paragraph, it's not really about it being a EVO, youtubers just use it as an example because it is THE fighting game tournament (and hey, Gundam VS has been a consistent side tournament since 2012, Hokuto no Ken is there this year, Super DBZ almost made the cut, there's always a chance). It's about it having some gameplay longevity so players can keep coming back to it for the gameplay instead of superficial one and done things like story mode and the like (which are great and should keep being included in these gamss, but they aren't what makes a good fighting game, well, a good fighting game), it's why I always praise Super DBZ, it's almost 11 years old and I can just keep playing it with my friends or someone new to it because it's engaging (despite having its shortcomings as a package).

Also no, you definitely see Naruto fans requesting the Storm games to be at EVO in some capacity, it was a big subject last year in that community.
Dbzfan94 wrote: Totally agree. The competitive fighting game scene is ruining the genre
How exactly? Despite the entirety of Street Fighter 5, the genre is in a better place than it was some years ago and way better than it was 10 years ago.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

TL18
Beyond Newbie

Post by TL18 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:02 am

Honestly, I still want cutscenes for ultimates.
I feel like right now there's no real distinction from super attacks to ultimates. Like you do an ultimate, and you get smacked right out of it with a simple punch. For the start up anyway.
It just would make the ultimates much more impactful.

Of course I know "it'll ruin the real time of the game and people will just spam it!!" Well yeah, but people are already spamming all sorts of moves. But I'm thinking that if they give cutscenes, Then a good balance could be that once you launch the ultimate, it goes through a cool down.
because realistically, if it's their ultimate attack then they wouldn't be able to spam it out.
But hey, that's just me

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:16 am

Quebaz wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote: Totally agree. The competitive fighting game scene is ruining the genre
How exactly? Despite the entirety of Street Fighter 5, the genre is in a better place than it was some years ago and way better than it was 10 years ago.
Not the games themselves, the fanbases. Melee, the Budokai v Tenkaichi that still go on, it's all pretty nasty.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat May 27, 2017 1:55 pm

I feel like there should be more Strike Style Ultimates. Even if they need to be balanced somehow. The ratio of ki strike is off IMO.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:18 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:I feel like there should be more Strike Style Ultimates. Even if they need to be balanced somehow. The ratio of ki strike is off IMO.
You arent wrong. It was like this in the first game too and while the difference isnt quite as large this time, I still find it irksome that the arsenal of moves seems more favored for ki blast builds. That said a large amount of the best skills in the game are strike moves so theres at least some sort of compensation. Id personally love to see Gokus Meteor Combination make a return as a strike ult.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun May 28, 2017 11:32 am

Its also slightly weird Divine Lasso is a strike attack.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon May 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Sorry to double post but its too late to edit the previous one to include this.

It seems like literally everyone online plays as a Saiyan. Having played them all a little except human I like the Freeza Race.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Tue May 30, 2017 10:34 am

TL18 wrote:Honestly, I still want cutscenes for ultimates.
I feel like right now there's no real distinction from super attacks to ultimates. Like you do an ultimate, and you get smacked right out of it with a simple punch. For the start up anyway.
It just would make the ultimates much more impactful.
...did you just never add stamina to your CaC or something? Ultimates cannot be "smacked" out of start up. Your stamina meter basically becomes your "how much shit can I eat while I charge this up" bar. It's an excellent trade-off to prevent spamming Ultimates, as you have to be weary of how much stamina you can sacrifice without depleting it all. Once you're tapped out, you're in stun-lock until your meter regenerates entirely - which is also happens to be an excellent deterrent from just pouring all of your points into stamina, as it will take that much longer to get back into the fight with more stamina to replenish. It's a pretty great mechanic if you ask me.

As for cutscenes over gameplay? Yeah - in the show, we have characters that sit and wait for their enemy to charge up an attack - but that's a choice they make. They're not forced to sit and watch (most of the time). Interrupting the fight with a cutscene we've seen over and over and over ruins the flow of gameplay. It yanks the controllers from both players and says "no, you WATCH THIS. Maybe mash some buttons?idk" It's honestly what drove the Budokai games into a grave for me. I'll get crucified for saying this - but the Budokai games are (and always have been) FULL of problems. One of which being the "brilliant" use of Rock, Paper, Scissors during combo sequences. It's dull, lazy and completely out of touch with today's generation of gaming. The mechanic belongs in a f***ing gacha game on your cell phone, not on a successful action-RPG released in 2015. Xenoverse 2 sure as hell ain't perfect, but at least it feels like I'm playing in the Dragon World.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue May 30, 2017 10:50 am

Lunaar wrote: Ultimates cannot be "smacked" out of start up.
They can, but that's only if you use your Ultimate at the wrong time, allowing your opponent to get behind you and break your stamina (I'm pretty sure how much stamina you have doesn't matter in regards to if you'll be broken or not. Though It does matter if you're being attacked from the front mid-ultimate), like anyone in Dragon Ball SHOULD do when they see their foe powering up. So, agreed overall.

Kanassa wrote:

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Tue May 30, 2017 11:12 am

Kanassa wrote:
Lunaar wrote: Ultimates cannot be "smacked" out of start up.
They can, but that's only if you use your Ultimate at the wrong time, allowing your opponent to get behind you and break your stamina (I'm pretty sure how much stamina you have doesn't matter in regards to if you'll be broken or not. Though It does matter if you're being attacked from the front mid-ultimate), like anyone in Dragon Ball SHOULD do when they see their foe powering up. So, agreed overall.
Ya on point! I skimmed over getting into all the options an opponent has, but that really just supports what I'm trying to say - Ultimates have a tactical place in the flow of Xenoverse's gameplay. When executed properly, they can be devastating. There are plenty of ways to counter Ultimates (sometimes, the best idea is to just hold down the boost button and pray :lol:), but none of them are merely slapping the attack button and essentially negating the entire animation. You have to earn the cancel by beating them into submission, just like you have to earn landing an Ultimate by reading your opponent. It works.

Granted, Ultimate spamming used to be a thing in XV1 (and I am 100% guilty for having done it for Z-Ranking the later PQs), but that was directly addressed and overhauled for the sequel.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue May 30, 2017 11:28 am

Lunaar wrote:Granted, Ultimate spamming used to be a thing in XV1 (and I am 100% guilty for having done it for Z-Ranking the later PQs), but that was directly addressed and overhauled for the sequel.
That was because of broken game mechanics for Saiyans that made time inconsequential. Especially with ultimates like Crusher Volcano that move you around while attacking.

Kanassa wrote: