Your First Dragon Ball Video Game

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fresh Prince
Beyond Newbie

Re: Your First Dragon Ball Video Game

Post by Fresh Prince » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:59 pm

Budokai 2 (PS2)

Chelentano
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Chelentano » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:19 pm

Raditz wrote:Another spaniard! :wave:

I think my first DB game was one of the Super Butōden for the SNES.
Hi there Raditz!

I feel like we are the olders here, playing SNES and Mega Drive.
Steam profile: psn_chelentano
Xenoverse 2 characters: Rugal (female Saiyan), Salacadula (male Majin), Sleet (Freezer race)

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:08 pm

The first Dragonball game I played was likely Hyper Dimension on SNES, the first game I owned was the first Budokai game on PS2.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:21 am

The first I played as that flash game called Dragon Ball Z: Tournament on the Cartoon Network/Toonami website.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:38 am

Xeztin wrote:Mine was Budokai 1. My cousin had it and Goku vs Freeza seemed like it was really hard!
I had more trouble aligning Raditz in the right position so that Piccolo could connect his Makankosappo.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:23 am

ryou766 wrote:
Xeztin wrote:Mine was Budokai 1. My cousin had it and Goku vs Freeza seemed like it was really hard!
I had more trouble aligning Raditz in the right position so that Piccolo could connect his Makankosappo.
Don't even get me started with that final fight against Cell...
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Kokos

Post by Kokos » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:11 pm

metamoss wrote:
ryou766 wrote:
Don't even get me started with that final fight against Cell...
Or Goku + Teen Gohan in the Legend of Hercule :P Crazy hard stuff :? I'm kind of surprised (and relieved!) they didn't make a trophy for it in Budokai HD Collection.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:28 pm

ryou766 wrote:
Oh god. The horror, I'd forgotten all about that. Though granted, a couple of those mini-game things in Infinite World weren't a cake walk either, like hiding from Piccolo as Imperfect Cell. The idea of minigames is something I'd love to see come back though.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:The first I played as that flash game called Dragon Ball Z: Tournament on the Cartoon Network/Toonami website.
Oh wow, talk about nostalgia, I forgot all about that thing! I remember there were two of those DBZ games on the site at the time, one was a fighting game, and one was...uh...hmm. Honestly I don't remember exactly what you'd call the other one, but I seem to recall a bit more strategy to it somehow or another. I'd love to play them both again.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:00 pm

Raditz

Post by Raditz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Chelentano wrote:
Raditz wrote:Another spaniard! :wave:

I think my first DB game was one of the Super Butōden for the SNES.
Hi there Raditz!

I feel like we are the olders here, playing SNES and Mega Drive.
Yeah. You can see that people here are rather young in this thread :?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:23 pm

My first DB game was Shin Budokai for the PSP, it was how I got into the franchise in the first place.

MajinVegetaSSj6
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaSSj6 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:26 pm

Final Bout (Ps1). At The time i know nothing about Gt series so i was kinda shocked and hyped when i saw Bebi Vegeta Ozaru e Ssj4 Goku!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:38 pm

I remember I started watching the show in either August or September 2008 and then I very quickly became a big fan and sometime in the November I went on eBay and bought Budokai 1, Tenkaichi 1 and Legacy of Goku 1 at the same time.

I think I may have played Budokai 1 first.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:12 am

Hm, it had to be either be Hyper Dimension or Final Bout. That feels like an eternity ago to recall and I had only just started to get into Dragon Ball at the time so I didn't understand the characters in either title anyway, ahaha.

Power Metal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Power Metal » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:14 pm

Like many in this thread, the first game I played was Final Bout. A friend of mine bought a copy from somewhere and we had to take his PS1 to this shady ass flea market to have it modded so we could play the game.
Looking back, the game sucked but at the time, we loved the hell out of it.

Then the first game I actually owned was Legacy of Goku for GBA. I've been thinking about re-playing it lately so I might have to dig out my old Gamecube (pretty sure I gave my GBA to my younger brothers) and play through again.
I do far more lurking than actual posting.

https://www.last.fm/user/AlexPowerMetal

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:18 pm

It's strange, I was never able to complete the story mode for BT2.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:30 pm

Either Dragon Ball Z: Legends or Dragon Ball: Final Bout, can't remember.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

RisanF
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RisanF » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:12 pm

Believe it or not, my first Dragon Ball game was none other than Dragon Power for the NES, which basically my introduction to Dragon Ball in general. The game was so awkwardly localized that it took me a while to realize it was even a Dragon Ball game. however, this game is part of the reason I enjoyed Dragon Ball Origins 2 so much. Not only does the Japanese version feature an unedited emulation of Dragon Power (I have both the Japanese and American version of Origins 2) , but the game itself pretty much plays a spiritual successor to that early Dragon Ball goes.

Anyway, one of the most memorable parts of Dragon Power for me was fighting Boss Rabbit/Monster Carrot with the staff. I ended up writing about him in one of my fanfics, and I think it's because of my connection with this game.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:56 am

The first that I'd sat down with and actually played? That would be...

...the first Super Butouden sometime in mid/late '93.

The first that I'd simply heard of or saw before that? Had to be either Gekitou Tenkaichi Budokai (the NES "Barcode Battler") or Super Saiya Densetsu (the first SNES RPG) sometime circa '91 or '92 (via magazine previews).

Or at least those would be the ones that I knew straight from the jump were Dragon Ball games. Before even that though? Heh, well...

Ah the late 80s.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SaiyanGirl

Post by SaiyanGirl » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:41 am

Btw the oldschool covers are way better than the game covers from nowadays, in my opinion.
My English is not perfect. Please excuse this.