What are your favorite "What ifs"?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ryou766
Advanced Regular

What are your favorite "What ifs"?

Post by ryou766 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:15 am

There have been numerous "what if" scenarios incorporated in each Dragon Ball game; from the first Budokai and onward.

So, my question is, what are the one's that were the most interesting to you?

If I had to list three in particular, it would be the following:

1. Affection Android from Budokai Tenkaichi 3 - No. 16 is sent to the past to eliminate Goku during the early Dragon Ball days, but No. 8 interrupts and proceeds to battle it out with No. 16 in order to protect Goku. No. 16 then later contemplates his actions. Although the battle was inaccurate (considering No. 16 was at the same level as Imperfect Cell), I thought the concept was pretty nice; a battle between two lighthearted androids.

2. Goku vs Bardock from Burst Limit's Bardock Saga - Bardock has one final vision before death of entering the future; coming across the Z-Fighters and challenging them into brawls. He later comes across Goku, who he then challenges and manages to hold his own against. After Goku ascends into his SSJ form, Bardock expresses how proud he is of his son before vanishing. But not before notifying Goku that the two would fight again in the future. I liked this one in particular because Bardock doesn't just simply inform Goku of his identity, but rather just dish it out with him to see for himself how strong he is.

3. Aim For Perfect Form from Budokai 1 - How could I not include this? This has to take the cake for the greatest what if scenario in the history of Dragon Ball games, in my opinion. Cell's failed attempt in absorbing No. 18 as he accidentally winds up absorbing Kuririn; becoming an orange Cell Jr...thing. I would always find myself laughing over the fact that Yamcha still got his ass handed to him, badly. I also like how it turned out the entire event was a dream Cell was having during the wait for the Cell Games.

Fresh Prince
Beyond Newbie

Re: What are your favorite "What ifs"?

Post by Fresh Prince » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:59 am

Beautiful Treachery from Budokai Tenkaichi 2: "For many years, Zarbon has served faithfully as Frieza's right hand man. But after learning of the Dragon Balls' power, he now desires his own wish. Thinking nothing of the consequences, he has freed himself of Frieza's terrible control... and begun his own selfish quest for eternal beauty. Zarbon's pursuit of beauty knows no bounds... And as a result, his destiny will be changed forever."
Fateful Brothers from Budokai Tenkaichi 2: "The Saiyans worked as planet brokers for the evil tyrant Frieza. In this capacity, Raditz came to Earth, but in the battle with Piccolo, his memory was lost... His mission forgotten, the Saiyan soon found himself enjoying the company of his new family. Now with his memory slowly returning, Raditz has found himself in turmoil... And with the threat of Vegeta and Nappa's arrival looming ever closer, he must at last make a choice..."
Ginyu Force Shakeup Part 2: Ginyu Demoted from Raging Blast: "Recoome fights Captain Ginyu and demands Ginyu to resign if beaten. Recoome is nowhere near as strong as Ginyu, but Vegeta appears and defeats Ginyu, wanting him out of the way because of him being a "worthless captain." Vegeta defeats him and proceeds to become Captain Vegeta of the now Vegeta Force."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:48 pm

I'm gonna cheat here and say everything about the story mode of Xenoverse. I mean, that game is basically one big "What if" in its own regard, but if I had to narrow it down specifically to one scenario, I'd say the mission where you have an evil and powered up Mr Satan who could kill you quickly. I mean, how could you not enjoy that? :P

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I'm gonna cheat here and say everything about the story mode of Xenoverse. I mean, that game is basically one big "What if" in its own regard, but if I had to narrow it down specifically to one scenario, I'd say the mission where you have an evil and powered up Mr Satan who could kill you quickly. I mean, how could you not enjoy that? :P
Definitely. I loved the different concept XV gave us.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:07 pm

ryou766 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I'm gonna cheat here and say everything about the story mode of Xenoverse. I mean, that game is basically one big "What if" in its own regard, but if I had to narrow it down specifically to one scenario, I'd say the mission where you have an evil and powered up Mr Satan who could kill you quickly. I mean, how could you not enjoy that? :P
I'm gonna disagree. They didn't feel as big and crazy as the what ifs we got from previous games. Especially as the game went on it got more safe and uninteresting with it's what ifs.

For me it's

-Cell absorbs Krillin as said above.
-Mr. Satan saving the day legitimately in Budokai 1.
-Goku vs Bardock which I really liked.
-Devil Man kills Mecha Freeza.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Silkman3003
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Silkman3003 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:38 pm

ryou766 wrote:
Absolutely. That's why I love it.

Anyway, from Xenoverse alone

1. Everything with Demigra

2. CAC+Future Trunks VS Perfect Cell.

3. CAC+Mystic Gohan VS Kid buu

4. CAC+SSJ4 Gogeta VS Omega Shenron, Baby Vegeta, and Super 17.

5. CAC+ the whatif scenario with Bardock and broly and vegeta.

These caught my attention the most. Of course, there was also the scenario where the ginyu force teamed up and fought goku and beat him . I thought that was pretty awesome. I'll update my post alittle later going more indepth on why I liked each of these

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:40 am

Goku fighting Soba on Yardrat.

It was really interesting to see more of planet Yardrat, and what Goku could have been doing there all that time.

It's speculated the Ginyu's were gonna visit there after Namek, or was gonna go to Yardrat until Frieza called them.
Ginyu's would have had a really difficult time defeating Soba, if power levels mean anything, lol.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:17 pm

Ozotto wrote:Goku fighting Soba on Yardrat.

It was really interesting to see more of planet Yardrat, and what Goku could have been doing there all that time.

It's speculated the Ginyu's were gonna visit there after Namek, or was gonna go to Yardrat until Frieza called them.
Ginyu's would have had a really difficult time defeating Soba, if power levels mean anything, lol.
It goes against what Vegeta stated about them.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

saiyanvegetable
Temporarily Banned

Post by saiyanvegetable » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:26 pm

The first super sonic warriors had the best what if modes. They were somehow still grounded in the DBZ universe in a sense where I can really believe it could've happened. They did a really good job writing the characters, which isn't really a surprise because everything in that game from the artwork, sound effects, character sprites/animation felt as if it came straight from the show.

Vegeta, Captain Ginyu, Piccolo (he fights Piccolo daimao at the end of his!) all stand out. Its a shame the sequel was so mediocre.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:49 pm

Those in BT2 and in Super Sonic Warriors 1, and that one story in BT3 about the Saiyan war with Freeza. They were written with enough thought and lore references that they could very well have been legit altered side-arcs for me. B3's what-if encounters though were a treat, like Vegeta finding Cooler on namek after Freeza prematurely died before the final fight; or Vegeta going SS on namek before Goku after killing Freeza with ease and challenging him.

Where as, I actually find Xenoverse 1 disappointing, because it isn't really creating diverging endings or scenarios that expand off the timeline's outcomes at all, they're more like just random pop-ins where related characters all appear at once in an arc and you have to beat them in order to "fix" it. I personally can't stand that, and thoughtBudokai 3 did the "Altered Arc ending" thing better. A good what-if has to have its own timeline created from the change in actions by the characters that shift, not just be generic what-if match ups based on familiarity.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

CrimsonRex

Post by CrimsonRex » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:24 pm

Broly''s What If story from In Supersonic Warriors 2, where Mr. Satan basically redeemed him. There's also some story where Cooler defeats Goku and then goes on some conquest, even later reviving Freeza's deceased henchmen like Zarbon, Dodoria, and the Ginyu Force. Forgot which game it was from though.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:04 pm

That one in Supersonic Warriors where Gotenks' scream technique throws him into different timelines and he fights Freeza and Cell. And then he meets the Piccolo from another what-if (who fuses with Piccolo Daimao and used Mafuba on Super Buu).
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:07 pm

One of them is definitely Gotenks' story from Supersonic Warriors (as mentioned above). I really liked it when he fought himself, but you can tell it's a What-If because it makes zero sense. :lol:
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:50 pm

My favoraite is one from Xenverse, but it's one we never see.

In time there exists a timeline where the Earth had lost all of it's heroes, an Earth that is rife with turmoil as it's gripped in a three way war. The Demon King Piccolo who spreads his demons across the world like a plauge, preying on the innocent and defencless for blood sport. The Red Ribbon army, who taint the very earth they stand on with their twisted abominations of nature, horrors known only to mankind as Androids. And finally the Galctic Tyrant, Frieza, who's ruthless efficency and unstoppable power fuel his quest for immortality. But among this desolate sea of destruction, there stands a man. A beacon. A man from a different timeline who dares to say 'No more'. This man... Has a name that i FORGOT.

Yeah, the most interesting what ifs in Xenoverse were the ones that the NPCs tell you about, I always liked how as you progressed through your story, they progresed through their own.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:06 pm

Fateful Brothers is at the top.
Kanassa wrote:My favoraite is one from Xenverse, but it's one we never see.

In time there exists a timeline where the Earth had lost all of it's heroes, an Earth that is rife with turmoil as it's gripped in a three way war. The Demon King Piccolo who spreads his demons across the world like a plague, preying on the innocent and defenseless for blood sport. The Red Ribbon army, who taint the very earth they stand on with their twisted abominations of nature, horrors known only to mankind as Androids. And finally the Galactic Tyrant, Frieza, who's ruthless efficiency and unstoppable power fuel his quest for immortality. But among this desolate sea of destruction, there stands a man. A beacon. A man from a different timeline who dares to say 'No more'. This man... Has a name that i FORGOT.

Yeah, the most interesting what ifs in Xenoverse were the ones that the NPCs tell you about, I always liked how as you progressed through your story, they progressed through their own.
His name is Percel.

But, like Lord Beerus, the entirety of Xenoverse was fun and it looks like Xenoverse 2 will be great!
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:17 am

Kanassa wrote:My favoraite is one from Xenverse, but it's one we never see.

In time there exists a timeline where the Earth had lost all of it's heroes, an Earth that is rife with turmoil as it's gripped in a three way war. The Demon King Piccolo who spreads his demons across the world like a plauge, preying on the innocent and defencless for blood sport. The Red Ribbon army, who taint the very earth they stand on with their twisted abominations of nature, horrors known only to mankind as Androids. And finally the Galctic Tyrant, Frieza, who's ruthless efficency and unstoppable power fuel his quest for immortality. But among this desolate sea of destruction, there stands a man. A beacon. A man from a different timeline who dares to say 'No more'. This man... Has a name that i FORGOT.

Yeah, the most interesting what ifs in Xenoverse were the ones that the NPCs tell you about, I always liked how as you progressed through your story, they progresed through their own.
I'm quite sure that it's Piccolo x RR Androids x Babidi, not Freeza.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:50 pm

Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta
Super Saiyan 3 Vegito
Super Saiyan 3 Gogeta
Baby Hatchiyack
Super Baby Hatchiyack
Ozotto
Super Saiyan 4 Gohan

Viewtiful Jess
Beyond Newbie

Post by Viewtiful Jess » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:11 pm

• Fateful Brothers from Budokai Tenkaichi 2

Aim for Perfect Form! from Budokai

The True Ruler from Budokai - Frieza powers up to 100% and kills Super Saiyan Goku. Frieza then rushes off to Porunga and wishes for immortality. THIS face. [spoiler]Image[/spoiler] and then blows up Earth.

Unexpected Help from Budokai Tenkaichi 3 - Cyborg Frieza, King Cold and their men show up on Earth except Spike the Devilman is there to challenge them instead of Future Trunks. He finishes off all of the foot soldiers, then defeats both of them with the Devilmite Beam.

The Student from Raging Blast - Videl becomes Piccolo's student, she defeats Gohan in a fight and then asks to fight against Goku and Vegeta.

Tiencha from Budokai 2

All of Supersonic Warriors (but mostly Piccolo fusing with Demon King Piccolo)
  • ✪ 2008 - Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
    ✪ 2009 - Dragon Ball: Raging Blast
    ✪ 2010 - Dragon Ball Online / Dragon Ball Heroes
    ✪ 2011 - Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock
    ✪ 2015 - Dragon Ball: Xenoverse / Dragon Ball Super
    ✪ 2016 - Dragon Ball: Fusions
Dragon Ball AF is REAL

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:15 am

Semi Perfect Cell and Metal Coola teaming up on New Namek in Super Sonic Warriors 2
Cell fighting Fat Buu in Super Sonic Warriors
Freeza vs. Coola and Cell vs. Super 17 in Sparking/Budokai Tenkachi
Zarbon and Dodoria trying out for the Ginyu Force in Raging Blast
Bojack using the Cell Jr's in Super Butoden 2
Faithful Brothers in Tenkachi 2
Bardock teaming up with Goku to fight Cell and Freeza in Hell in Super Sonic Warriors 2
Cell absorbs Kuririn in Budokai 1
Akkuman killing Freeza in Sparking 3/Budokai Tenkachi 3
Kid Buu hatching out of Buu's shell instead of Fat Buu in Adult Gohan's story mode in Budokai 3
Gogeta vs. Vegito in Raging Blast

Budokai 3 had interesting what if moments that never got added in the game like Super Perfect Cell vs. SSj3 Goku (Goku survived the explosion on King Kai's planet) and Dabra vs. SSj4 Goku.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/