DBZ GO! (would you play it?)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

DBZ GO! (would you play it?)

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:40 am

Gather the dragonballs, find opponents to fight, join one of three color coded teams? I'm not sure I would.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: DBZ GO! (would you play it?)

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:35 am

I can't say I'd be interested, but you bring up a very interesting concept. Specifically, I like searching for Dragon Balls with your GPS as the Dragon Radar. I'm a bit shocked that's not a mobile game right now. I have no clue what the end game would be for that, aside from encouraging local travel. Perhaps the wishes Shen Long grants would be for discounted merchandise?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Well, if we tweak your idea a little: Yes!
You'd look pretty stupid to normal people, but imagine walking down the street with your phone and then suddenly having to dodge energy attacks. Like with Pokémon Go and Poké Ball throwing, you could fling ki blasts with your phone. Instead of Pokémon battles, you get into battles with people like alien soldiers, Saibamen and Cell Juniors. You could get experience by defeating enemies, and unlock better and better ki attacks. Eventually you'd be able to have ki battles against Z Fighters and bigger villains as a sort of Gym.
And!
You need a friends list for DBZ Go.
So that you can get a notification on your phone that goes '<friend>: "Lend me your energy for this Spirit Bomb!" Send your power?'
Looking for Dragon Balls couldn't be the main point of a game like this, as it'd get dull pretty fast, but it would definitely still be a gameplay element.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:04 pm

Wow. I was JUST talking about this possibility with a friend of mine yesterday.

I'd definitely love it. I need to break away from Dokkan Battle.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:55 pm

Hell yeah. I would love to play a game like that.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:37 pm

They should make a serious Dragon Ball Go where the point of the game is to find the 7 Dragon Balls, but, Plot Twist, the 7 DBs would really exist (they would be identical in shape and size to that of the serie) and the creators should place them randomly in the whole planet, only one set would exist. The wish for whoever gathers all 7 would be only one: 500 milion dollars. Then we would see the start of WW3 and people killing for the DBs and crazy shit would happen.

But seriously, a DBZ Go game would be cool if well executed. But maybe its too soon to think about it and maybe for it to be appealing to the masses we need greater technology than what we have at the moment. DBZ is all about the fights and I can't see DBZ fights working on a handheld system, unless the fights were similar to Pokemon Go and the point of the game would be of improving a custom created character to win battles where your Power Level matters more than your skill (as in PokèGo), including a region based DB hunt that would give some great reward, and also some NPC to beat or to train with to increase the PL of your character. Basically Xenoverse on iPhone/Android, lol. Would be cool though and I would definitely play it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:46 pm

I think they'll try but there's no way it'll be as big as Pokemon.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:59 pm

I think a mobile game able to find all seven Dragon Balls would be cool. I think they would do it in a local area instead going across the world.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:46 pm

If Dragonball GO were to exist it'd need a nice incentive for finding them all. Finding 7 Dragonballs would probably be fun, but then what? :wtf:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:16 pm

Meh, I'd rather have a Galaxy of Heroes DBZ game...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

dangerouslover

Post by dangerouslover » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:27 pm

Honestly, I'd rather an AR YuGiOh game. I think that's the next logical step for a game similar to Go.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:16 am

Nejishiki wrote:I can't say I'd be interested, but you bring up a very interesting concept. Specifically, I like searching for Dragon Balls with your GPS as the Dragon Radar. I'm a bit shocked that's not a mobile game right now. I have no clue what the end game would be for that, aside from encouraging local travel. Perhaps the wishes Shen Long grants would be for discounted merchandise?
You could use the wishes to unlock new characters, learn new attacks, gain access to new transformations and alternate outfits. They could make the battle system similar to Heroes, it would be interesting. They could also use different locations as gyms to train your characters, Capsule Corp shops to buy items similar to Heroes, and capture the flag type bases that would function like Pokemon Go gyms.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:17 am

I would love to play that game, but then i would get mad as i wouldn't be able to download it, (damn phone).
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Nickolaus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nickolaus » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:19 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think a mobile game able to find all seven Dragon Balls would be cool. I think they would do it in a local area instead going across the world.
Kind of like geocaching?

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:43 pm

Alruneia wrote:Well, if we tweak your idea a little: Yes!
You'd look pretty stupid to normal people, but imagine walking down the street with your phone and then suddenly having to dodge energy attacks. Like with Pokémon Go and Poké Ball throwing, you could fling ki blasts with your phone. Instead of Pokémon battles, you get into battles with people like alien soldiers, Saibamen and Cell Juniors. You could get experience by defeating enemies, and unlock better and better ki attacks. Eventually you'd be able to have ki battles against Z Fighters and bigger villains as a sort of Gym.
And!
You need a friends list for DBZ Go.
So that you can get a notification on your phone that goes '<friend>: "Lend me your energy for this Spirit Bomb!" Send your power?'
Looking for Dragon Balls couldn't be the main point of a game like this, as it'd get dull pretty fast, but it would definitely still be a gameplay element.
I like your explanation best, but it'd be even more dangerous than Pokémon Go because people would try to fly and... fail.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Nah it wouldn't work. It works perfectly for Pokémon Go because the original series involved a character going out into the world catching Pokémon and getting the eggs, going to Pokémon shops etc and there's an entire 151 Pokémon to find. The game allows us to do something similar real .

A DBZ Go where you just go around just trying to find 7 balls? Nah it'd be boring.

The only kind of Pokemon Go wannabe that I could see working is something like an Uncharted Go where you walked around and found treasure which could be kept or sold to purchase more useful gear to help find more treasures. Even them it wouldn't be another Pokémon Go.