Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2/3 HD Collection?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2/3 HD Collection?

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:18 am

So, it's just been announced that one of my childhood game series - Kingdom Hearts is getting a PS4 Collection of all the games. And I know Tenkaichi 2/3 are games of the past and many might prefer they stay that way, but still - Why can't these games get ported to the current generation of consoles? I would say Tenkaichi 1, but I feel like this one's the least popular of the three so it can be left out the same way Budokai 2 was left out of the PS3 collection.

Besides, it especially sucks for me because I got robbed as a kid and the robber stole many of my consoles and games (including Tenkaichi 3). Not making that robbed thing up. And up until that point, I never appreciated Tenkaichi 3 as much and kind of felt it was inferior to Tenkaichi 2 in some ways. But as soon as it was stolen, me and my brother regretted our thoughts. And what's worse is that Tenkaichi 3 is now too expensive to purchase along with the fact that I currently can't display PS2 games on my HDTV (guess I'll have to get an HDMI converter?)

My point is that I feel just like with Square Enix (which moves its game to the current consoles to keep its series available to play for old and new fans) - Bandai Namco should take this approach with their Dragon Ball games (which was done for the Budokai HD Collection for PS3, at least). Thoughts?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2/3 HD Collection?

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:37 am

It's not out of the question, considering the Budokai HD Collection was used as a stop-gap between the "main" games' development cycles on that generation (Ultimate Tenkaichi & DBZ for Kinect: 2012 / Budokai HD Collection: 2013 / Battle of Z: 2014).

It's a great way to keep the franchise in the public's eye while they're working on other stuff. I do wonder how much that would conflict with their commitment to dish out Xenoverse 2 DLC over the next year; not that the same developers would even remotely be touching the same products, but that they would have conflicting messages to send to consumers about what's most important to buy.

I could see a holiday 2017 release as the aforementioned stop-gap, though, sure. We all figured it would come before this, but now is also a great time.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:01 am

VegettoEX wrote:It's not out of the question, considering the Budokai HD Collection was used as a stop-gap between the "main" games' development cycles on that generation (Ultimate Tenkaichi & DBZ for Kinect: 2012 / Budokai HD Collection: 2013 / Battle of Z: 2014).

It's a great way to keep the franchise in the public's eye while they're working on other stuff. I do wonder how much that would conflict with their commitment to dish out Xenoverse 2 DLC over the next year; not that the same developers would even remotely be touching the same products, but that they would have conflicting messages to send to consumers about what's most important to buy.

I could see a holiday 2017 release as the aforementioned stop-gap, though, sure. We all figured it would come before this, but now is also a great time.
Of course, just like the Budokai HD Collection, I expect Kenji Yamamoto's tracks will be stricken from the games' respective soundtrack.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:53 am

Aside from the opening theme, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Takanori Arima and Toshiyuki Kishi were ultimately responsible for composing those games internationally.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:25 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Of course, just like the Budokai HD Collection, I expect Kenji Yamamoto's tracks will be stricken from the games' respective soundtrack.
His Budokai 1-3 music was only used in the US release of Tenkachi/Sparking 1 while the Japanese release just had old music from Shunsuke Kikuchi (I remember some GT tracks from Akihito Tokunaga was used as well). Atari never said why they replace the music in the US release (I remember going on the Atari old forums back in 2005 and asking them). If the first Tenkachi game was somehow re-release, they might use the Japanese music from the JPN release instead. Takanori Arima and Toshiyuki Kishi did the music for the other two games, so re-releasing those two would be fine.

They are putting PS2 games on the PS4 PSN store, so maybe Sony and Namco Bandai could put Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on the PS4 PSN store. I remember a lot of people on Twitter tweeted Sony and Namco Bandai about it. I think the demand is big enough.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:23 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's not out of the question, considering the Budokai HD Collection was used as a stop-gap between the "main" games' development cycles on that generation (Ultimate Tenkaichi & DBZ for Kinect: 2012 / Budokai HD Collection: 2013 / Battle of Z: 2014).

The Holiday 2017 especially makes since because it took them almost two years to release Xenoverse 2 so it might take until 2018 for a possible Xenoverse 3 (haven't finished XV2 yet myself though). It'd be perfect to release a Tenkaichi HD Collection in 2017 if no other main DB game is coming out next year. Also, if the dub for DB Super does end up releasing next year - it'd make since for Bandai to take advantage of this by making sure there is a DB game coming out the same year (assuming there's not already a big DB game coming out next year OR like you said, they might not want to interfere with XV2 DLCs)

I'd also prefer the original Japanese score for Tenkaichi because the soundtrack they recycled always made Tenkaichi seem like a creepy game as a kid. Also, it'd be nice to hear more Kageyama (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g3bkw9s6MQ) since I haven't heard him in a DBZ game since Ultimate Tenkaichi. Weird though - I always thought Sparking used "Cha-La Head Cha-La" instead of "We Gotta Power", but whatever.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:56 pm

The only hole in the "stop-gap" idea is that Xenoverse's grind-a-holic design and piece-by-piece season passes are clearly an attempt to plug that hole. That there was talk of "transitioning" from the first game to the second on Steam, which is to say there should be exponentially more of such talk on the PS4, suggests to me some success among the real die-hards. Not enough to replicate the sales of a fresh Dragon Ball game on five platforms making the series debut on three of them, but that was never happening.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:38 pm

If this happens, they should add an OST changer. I want to play with Kikuchi remixes

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

JimmyRustam
Beyond Newbie

Post by JimmyRustam » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:19 pm

Believe me, you're not the only one who wants Tenkaichi back in HD.
Yes, The games were far from perfect, but Tenkaichi 3 for an example is the only DBZ-game i'm still playing with my friends even to this day.

I was also crazy enough to ask Treevax (the guy who developes the DBRB3-Project) via Facebook, if a HD-Collection is still possible. And this was the answer:
Hi,

They told me several years ago (2012 I think ?) that there was a copyright issue on Tenkaichi, indeed.

Then, in 2013, I made an interview for Battle of Z, and the japanese Producer told me that there was no issue, that it was still a possibility.

This year, I talked with Nagura-san (who produced Budokai HD Collection). I told him that the demand for T3 was still active.
I would say let's just wait.
Maybe in 1-2 Years when the hype around XV2 dies, it could come out.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:50 pm

It would actually make sense to release it next year considering it's the 10 year anniversary for BT3. Come to think of it the Budokai HD Collection came out on Budokai 1's 10 year anniversary too. I'd actually like to have the option to have Kikuchi's music this time around, just for the sake of making it different to the PS2 release that I still own. For BT2 they could throw in the Wii exclusive characters and stage.

As far as BT1 is concerned I still like that game but I'd prefer to have them throw in a HD Budokai 2 instead. Either that or do a Budokai 2/Infinite World HD double pack somewhere down the line too.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:43 pm

Unfortunately, we won't have Kikuchi music ever outside of DB and DBZ :cry:
Because of some legal copyright much money issue stuff.
It was probably one of the reasons why Budokai 1 in Europe hadn't even the Chala Head Chala opening.
Only country that had the original Z openings in the series was Germany, because they didn't like the French ones so much,
that they opted for buying the rights for Chala Head Chala and We Gotta Power (and other songs) probably from Columbia and recorded new versions.
They probably sold them later to Spain. Jeez, those French and Italian openings were really horrid.
Germany had some cool original openings tough, like that techno one for Dragon Ball or Megaman (cool intro but retarded show).

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBXvVaU7sfo[/spoiler]

It was awesome being a kid and watch German TV.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Vaughngief
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vaughngief » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:57 pm

Do a proper upscale, give it GGPO netcode, and I'd be there day 1. That or a console port of Zenkai Battle.

Fresh Prince
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fresh Prince » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:38 pm

I would like to see BT2/3 HD, I'd prefer BT4 or RB3 but BT2/3 HD will sell more than a sequel.

I feel like we may get a XV3 but I hope next year's game is something simple to hold us over until then.

JimmyRustam
Beyond Newbie

Post by JimmyRustam » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Nejishiki wrote:Aside from the opening theme, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Takanori Arima and Toshiyuki Kishi were ultimately responsible for composing those games internationally.
So "Super Survivor" would be ultimately excluded if a remaster happens?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:42 pm

JimmyRustam wrote:
Nejishiki wrote:Aside from the opening theme, that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Takanori Arima and Toshiyuki Kishi were ultimately responsible for composing those games internationally.
So "Super Survivor" would be ultimately excluded if a remaster happens?
That's likely correct. He composed it.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:09 pm

(reads last sentence and cries) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! But on a serious note, perhaps they just want to focus on Xenoverse 2, FighterZ and eventually Xenoverse 3. Basically new shit. I'm still tempted to just get Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3 for the PS2 to relive my childhood days instead of waiting for something that will probably never happen. Sucks because this year would've been the perfect chance to release an HD Collection in the absence of a DB game coming out this year (besides Xenoverse 2 DLC).

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:08 am

mecha3000 wrote:I would say Tenkaichi 1, but I feel like this one's the least popular of the three so it can be left out the same way Budokai 2 was left out of the PS3 collection.
I liked BT1 and I don't like this mentality. It's what kickstarted the series and it had a different gameplay style to BT2/BT3.

The same way I hated them leaving Budokai 2 off HD Collection. It's not collection if they cut off a game.

Snart

Post by Snart » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:51 pm

Xeogran wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:I would say Tenkaichi 1, but I feel like this one's the least popular of the three so it can be left out the same way Budokai 2 was left out of the PS3 collection.
I liked BT1 and I don't like this mentality. It's what kickstarted the series and it had a different gameplay style to BT2/BT3.

The same way I hated them leaving Budokai 2 off HD Collection. It's not collection if they cut off a game.
I can back up the removal of Budokai 2, because of its extreme similarity to Budokai 3. 2 is basically a downgrade to 3, while 1 provides a different approach to the DBZ storyline, with different graphics. Honestly, I think all 3 BTs should be included because they all are significantly different to eachother.
Goku Black Rosé is beautiful

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:44 am

Snart wrote: I can back up the removal of Budokai 2, because of its extreme similarity to Budokai 3. 2 is basically a downgrade to 3, while 1 provides a different approach to the DBZ storyline, with different graphics.
I don't, because Budokai 2 has lots of content that Budokai 3 removed. It's not like it's the same game with lesser characters.

You have better stage destruction, different gameplay style, different stages to Budokai 3 and other stuff like characters they didn't bother to keep.

It doesn't help that Budokai 2 is the least remembered out of them, so it'd be nice for people to give it a replay. But no, it's better to exclude it >_>

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:38 pm

You also have to consider the fact that if they had added budokai 2 then the boardgame maps would've needed completely new composed tracks. They could get away with it in budokai 3 because of how the story is presented. Since a huge majority of tracks were recycled from later games that mostly stuck to fighting and all we really go was a few new tracks that were so so. Placement wasn't the best either.
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/