Facts about Dragon Ball games you know but most don't

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Facts about Dragon Ball games you know but most don't

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:03 pm

What things do you know about in the games that are little known throughout the community?

I'll start:

-You can deflect ki blasts with physical attacks and stop yourself from hitting the stage boundary by tapping the G button at the right time in Budokai 3/Infinite World
-There was a 2001 PS2 game with a similar concept to Sagas (an action/adventure game with fighting game elements) but was either cancelled or made into Budokai (a more traditional fighter):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xOexjZLr6w

-Super Butoden 2 is the only DBZ game where Goku isn't featured as a playable character (though he and Broly can be unlocked through a cheat code) and is the first to feature movie/special characters
-Yamcha first debut in the first Budokai
-Videl first debut in Budokai 2
-Budokai Tenkaichi is the first game to feature all five members of the Ginyu Force. Up till then, only Recoome and Captain GInyu were playable characters
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Metis Connetis

Re: Facts about Dragon Ball games you know but most don't

Post by Metis Connetis » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:51 am

Nice post!

First, one correction;
DBZAOTA482 wrote:-Budokai Tenkaichi is the first game to feature all five members of the Ginyu Force. Up till then, only Recoome and Captain GInyu were playable characters
That's not true. DBZ Legends has all Ginew Force characters.

Some funny facts;

- In DBZ Super Butouden 1 we can only recover ki faster in the sky. This it's lame.

- In DBZ Super Butouden 1, I guess that due to some glitch/memory leak, the characters only say some attacks. Piccolo doesn't says "Geki" when fighting other character. If he fights himself (Piccolo vs Piccolo) he says "Geki" when launching that attack. Same happens with Vegeta and his Big Bang attack.

- In DBZ Super Butouden 1 there are some "special" animations when a characters try to deflect an attack and fails. We can see Vegeta cleaning some blood in his face, Dr. Gero without his hat and Piccolo without arm. As far as I know it's the only game where we can see Piccolo healing himself.

- In DBZ Legends only two character have different skins; Vegeta SSJ (armor and Bu saga) and Trunks (in Cell Games stage he's wearing his combat armor and short hair).

- There's a bug in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 that makes dissapear the "SSJ2-SSJ3" lighting effects when you use the "rematch" option in vs. mode.

- The "block CPU transformation" it's just in Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3. Sadly, that option isn't in the Raging Blast series and Ultimate Tenkaichi. In Tenkaichi Tag Team you could prevent this using the "Broly Ring" item.

Zenkashuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkashuu » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:51 am

I have no idea if it's well known* but in Raging Blast 2, Goku has two hairstyles for Super Saiyan.

*main reason is RB2's poor sales.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:05 am

Off the top of my head:

-In Budokai 1 only you can choose to stay lying on the ground after being floored by holding down on the d-pad. Basically just like in Tekken
-On stage 6 of Budokai 2 Dragon World if you lure Vegeta and Fat Buu onto the same spot of the map Vegeta will actually blow himself up and you won't even have to fight Fat Buu as he'll turn straight into Super Buu and proceed to the next stage.
-Also in Budokai 2, if you select a stage with different areas that you can be knocked through like the red ribbon stage using square(or it might be circle) you can start off in the different area.
-In Budokai 3 if you go on practice mode and just leave the game unpaused for long enough your character will start to get bored and stare at you like in the old Sonic games.
-In Budokai 3 there's recorded voice data of SS4 Goku talking to 17, presumably Super 17.
-In Buu's Fury there's a glitch that lets you fly as a Super Saiyan by flying out the window at the Lookout. There's also a certain button combination that will make you successful at fusion every time.
-In Infinite World although you can no longer select destroyed versions of stages the normal way, you can still select them by choosing randomly.
-In BT3(or it might be 2) there's a glitch were if you have Goku and Vegeta fuse into Vegito in the middle of a match and then tag out to a different character it's still possible to tag Goku in which will cause the game to freeze as soon as he flies in.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:01 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:-Budokai Tenkaichi is the first game to feature all five members of the Ginyu Force. Up till then, only Recoome and Captain GInyu were playable characters
I'm pretty sure there was a arcade game where Burter was playable.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Yalos wrote:I'm pretty sure there was a arcade game where Burter was playable.
Are you referring to this? That would be true. It's still missing Ghurd and Jheese, but the previous claim of only Ginyu and Reacoom being available can be retracted. :)

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:38 pm

-In Super Dragon Ball for PS2, you can call out Shenron with all of the playable characters. Even those who never showed care for the Dragon Balls, like Cell or Majin Buu. How cool is that 8)

-Infinite World had Zarbon and Dodoria in the logo, yet they never appeared in the actual game
DBZAOTA482 wrote:-Yamcha first debut in the first Budokai
Huh? Didn't he debut faaaar earlier back in the first DB game for NES?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Xeogran wrote:Huh? Didn't he debut faaaar earlier back in the first DB game for NES?
He wasn't playable, if I remember right. It's been ages since I played that game. He was a usable character, alongside Kuririn, against Mummy in Dragon Ball 3 for Nintendo though.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:38 pm

Xeogran wrote: -Infinite World had Zarbon and Dodoria in the logo, yet they never appeared in the actual game
Ok maybe I'm blind but where is Zarbon in that picture?

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:58 pm

PelicanDynasty wrote:
Xeogran wrote: -Infinite World had Zarbon and Dodoria in the logo, yet they never appeared in the actual game
Yeah, where is Zarbon?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:05 pm

The PAL-version of Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension was only released in France due to the local popularity of Dragon Ball Z in Europe. Unlike the Japanese version, it does not have the Story mode - retrieved from here

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:50 pm

simtek34 wrote:
PelicanDynasty wrote:
Yeah, where is Zarbon?
Probably next to Dodoria, but the logo covered him.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:33 am

Sandubadear wrote:
simtek34 wrote:
PelicanDynasty wrote:
Yeah, where is Zarbon?
Probably next to Dodoria, but the logo covered him.
Yeah he is there, I just googled this pic and didn't pay attention that the logo is covering him.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Dunno how common-knowledge this is but:

-In Xenoverse 2, the Villainous form of characters from Xenoverse 1 are still present in the game's files (Freeza Full Power confirmed, at least), and can sometimes be encountered randomly in Expert Missions.

-In the International versions of Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 1-2 (including RB2's re-issue in 2011) and Ultimate Tenkaichi, the sound files for the Japanese BGM are present in the games files and can be swapped with the replacement BGM through modding. The same is inversely applicable in the Japanese versions.

-Similarly, in the Japanese versions of Spike's Sparking! and Blast series, the sound files for the English voice tracks are still in the game, but just not accessible through the games' options.

-In Xenoverse 1 and 2, incomplete characters, such as Demigra (Base, Final Form), Supreme Kai of Time, and Great Ape characters can be unlocked to be playable via mods. In additions, the same can be done with Elder Kai, Dende, Grand Elder Guru and the final boss (don't want to spoil) in Xenoverse 2.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:59 am

In BT1, with the English voices, if you have SSJ4 Goku fight SSJ4 Vegeta, they'll speak Japanese during their opening and ending quotes

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:25 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:In BT1, with the English voices, if you have SSJ4 Goku fight SSJ4 Vegeta, they'll speak Japanese during their opening and ending quotes
Wait, with the JP cast or the English one?
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:36 pm

Draconic wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:In BT1, with the English voices, if you have SSJ4 Goku fight SSJ4 Vegeta, they'll speak Japanese during their opening and ending quotes
Wait, with the JP cast or the English one?
The English cast. It randomly switches to Nozawa/Horikawa during the SSJ4 fight.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Yalos wrote:
I'm pretty sure there was a arcade game where Burter was playable.
I remember playing Budokai 1 and wanted to play as Burter so bad!

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:25 pm

- In Budokai 3, when you unlock all the "Memories of..." for all the characters, it becomes increasingly apparent that the Dragon Universe mode was going to be much larger and include all of the playable characters, each having alternate endings as well.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif