Favourite Retro Dragon Ball Games?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Favourite Retro Dragon Ball Games?

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:16 am

I was wondering if anyone had some favourite pre-Budokai DB/Z/GT games. Personally, I'm a fan of Idainaru Son Goku Densetsu for the PC-Engine, even though it is quite tough. What you guys say?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Favourite Retro Dragon Ball Games?

Post by Desassina » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:54 am

I enjoyed Dragon Ball Z: the Legend and played it on the Saturn in Portugal. I would have loved Hyper Dimension, but it was never released complete outside of Japan.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:37 am

Yeah I liked Legends too!

Kinda annoying the Saturn version made it to Europe, but not North America. :problem:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:00 pm

Super Butouden 2, Legends and Super Saiya Densetsu for me. Legends was my first DBZ game and I had so much hours playing that game with my neighbor's house.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout.

Korppi

Post by Korppi » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Dragon Ball Z: The Legend (or Legends?)
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 (best soundtrack ever)
Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II
Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:45 pm

I would like to try out the Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden games should they be localized and be released on Xbox Live Arcade or Virtual Console.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Bianju

Post by Bianju » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:54 pm

Dragon Ball Z: Kyoshu! Saiya-jin and Dragon Ball Z 2: Gekishin Freeza! - These two are lots of fun to me. The card system works here to me, and I actually love how they change up the story in lots of various little ways.
Dragon Ball Z 2: Super Battle - Great arcade fighter, WAY better than the first DBZ arcade game. This one's also interesting in that it has English for the opening/ending lines.
Dragon Ball Z: Super Butoden and Dragon Ball Z: Super Butoden 2 - I really wish that more Z games included the fight with Piccolo as the beginning of the Z portion. I like these two fighters a lot, even if their controls take a lot of getting used to.
Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu - This is the Super Famicom DBZ game that got famous, and for good reason. Awesome 3D effects, a really streamlined version of the card system, and a way more manga-accurate story.
Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Son Gokuh Densetsu - This game shows what the PC Engine was best at; great pixel animation and high-quality audio. I mean, the game itself is pretty fun (if not very difficult for me to understand), but the fact that this uses the Kikuchi score WAY before the Sparking! games is pretty awesome to me.
And lastly;
Dragon Ball Z: Shin Butoden - A fun, next-gen update to the original Butoden games.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:41 am

If it counts as retro (2004?) then Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure. One of the best DB games ever made, no argument (only real flaw IMO is the lack of 23rd TB coverage, but that would have required all new sprites for Goku that would only be used in one segment, so I see why they dropped it). Outside of that, I dunno, Hyper Dimension. It's certainly one of the best looking SNES games.

While I don't consider it to be that good as a game, Super Butoden 1 has an extremely good opening. The title screen has Goku and Piccolo standing opposite each other, and as soon as you pick the single player option, the menu disappears and the fight begins there and then. More games should do that.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:21 am

I pick the most OBVIOUS choices as a 90s kid with an emulator:

Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden 2 and Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension. I shouldn't even need to explain these two games, I feel like everybody has seen them in one way or another. In all the video games shops I've been to, specifically the ones that sell Super Famicom games - the Butouden games have shown up in every one. They're all over the goddamned place. Since my childhood, I have owned the ROMs, owned both game cartridges, got my hands on a complete (box and manual) Hyper Dimension, then sold them both (along with over half of my collection) - and now am left with Super Butouden 2 converted into a SNES cart.

The music is probably my favorite aspect across the two, but Hyper Dimension's overall tone should be mentioned. It's lovely. I played both to death. I don't have a favorite.

"Omeh no debandah, Gohan!!"
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:32 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Yeah I liked Legends too!

Kinda annoying the Saturn version made it to Europe, but not North America. :problem:
It's even worse we got that POS Ultimate Battle 22 instead of Legends.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Daimao Fukkatsu - Fun dungeon crawler for Famicom
DBZ RPG quadrilogy for Famicom
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:03 am

Don't know if it's really retro, but Legendary Super Warriors for the GBC. First Dragon Ball game I ever owned. :D

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:17 pm

there is an awesome RPG card game. from what i remember its only japanese but it was awesome as shit. its an rpg with skill cards and have awesome animations for the Saiyan sega. the downside is. every few seconds you get attacked by either saibman or frieza soldiers. and you cant do nothing about that.