Dragon Ball Super: Budokai (return of 2D games)?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Dragon Ball Super: Budokai (return of 2D games)?

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:52 am

So yeah, with the Future Trunks arc ending - I've thought about the next DB game and honestly: I kind of want a 2D fighting game similar to the Budokai games again? I know in the current console age, 3D is more popular for DB games (especially with character creation) but I feel like a 2D game would still sell. And now (like a friend of mine brought up), Dragon Ball Super seems to have enough content to cover an entire game without the need of Z/GT Story Mode content. I mean, with all the new techniques Future Trunks has learned (Galick Gun, Final Flash, Mafuba, Father-Son Galick Gun, Spirit Bomb Sword) and Vegito Blue, this is definitely content that can warrant a Super-based game (even though Xenoverse 2 or 3 can easily add that content). But back to the Super game story mode structure -

Beerus Saga: You could have fights such as - Goku vs. Frieza/Cell/Buu (like in DB Super manga when he's training to recap everything), Goku vs. Beerus (King Kai's Planet), Beerus vs. Z-Fighters (separately to extend Story Mode), and so on

Golden Frieza Saga: All of the fights from the Resurrection 'F' Arc such as - Goku and Vegeta vs. Whis OR Gohan vs. Tagoma (Ginyu)

Champa Saga: All of the fights from the Universe 6 Arc such as - Piccolo vs. Frost, Vegeta vs. Cabba, Goku vs. Hit

Future Trunks Saga (or Zamasu Saga): All of the fights from the Future Trunks Arc such as - Trunks vs. Goku Black, Vegeta vs. Goku Black, Goku vs. Zamasu, Vegito Blue vs. Fusion Zamasu, and Super Trunks vs. Fusion Zamasu

Even the arrival of Beerus can act in a similar way to when Radtiz first arrived in Budokai (Radtiz tells of Saiyans and Beerus tells of Saiyan God, both expanding the lore). I also recall this subject being brought up regarding how a Super-era based game would be handled and honestly: Bandai doesn't even need to call it a Dragon Ball Super game by title. But I do feel a new game should focus SOLELY on all of the Super content similar to how Budokai 1 focused on the Saiyan Saga to Cell Saga. Also, although we haven't seen the rest of Super - I feel like for a first Super-era game: The Future Trunks Arc would be a nice way to end the game similar to how the Cell Saga ended Budokai 1 (unless it'd be way too short).

Also, I imagine that with Super heading to more places outside Japan that it might be a good move to make some games based on Super. At the same time, characters and content from Z and GT (and even original Dragon Ball) can still be included as bonus content or even a separate mode from Story Mode that focuses on the content outside the Super series.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Budokai (return of 2D games)?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:30 am

I don't want it if it's just Super. Make it "Dragon Ball: Budokai 4" or let it stay "Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 4".

Anyways, it should have these characters:

Goku
Kid Goku (unlockable)
Goku (GT) (unlockable)
Kid Gohan
Teen Gohan (unlockable)
Gohan (unlockable)
Vegeta
Vegeta (GT) (unlockable)
Trunks (sword/no sword)
Goten
Kid Trunks
Piccolo
Krillin
Yamcha
Master Roshi/Jackie Chun (unlockable)
Tien
Chiaotzu
Yajirobe
Chi-Chi (unlockable)
Hercule (unlockable)
Videl (unlockable)
Uub (unlockable)
Pan (unlockable)
Nam (unlockable)
Gotenks (unlockable)
Vegito (unlockable)
Gogeta (unlockable)
SSJ4 Gogeta (unlockable)
Bardock (unlockable)
Magnetto (unlockable)
Cabba (unlockable)
Hit (unlockable)
Raditz
Nappa
Saibaman
Cui
Zarbon
Dodoria
Guldo (unlockable)
Recoome (unlockable)
Burter (unlockable)
Jeice (unlockable)
Captain Ginyu (unlockable)
Freeza (unlockable)
#16 (unlockable)
#17 (unlockable)
#18 (unlockable)
Cell (unlockable)
Cell jr. (unlockable)
Dabura
Majin Buu
Super Buu (unlockable)
Kid Buu (unlockable)
Giran (unlockable)
Mercenary Tao (unlockable)
King Piccolo (unlockable)
Cyborg Tao (unlockable)
Broly (unlockable)
Beerus (unlockable)
Whis (unlockable)
Ledgic (unlockable)
General Rildo (unlockable)
Baby (unlockable)
Super #17 (unlockable)
Nuova Shenron (unlockable)
Ice Shenron (unlockable)
Syn Shenron (unlockable)
Frost (unlockable)
Goku Black (unlockable)
Zamasu (unlockable)
Super Zamasu (unlockable)
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Budokai (return of 2D games)?

Post by emperior » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:04 pm

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30256&p=923193#p923193

In this old thread of me I threw around my ideas of what I would like to see in a 2D DBS game.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical