Would you like a Dragon Ball game covering the complete series?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Would you like a Dragon Ball game covering the complete series?

Post by Xeztin » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:23 pm

What I mean is if you'd like to see a Rockstar games type of deal where they take about 4-5 years to make a Dragon Ball game covering the story of the original Dragon Ball all the way up to the current Super with GT as a side arc. It'd probably have about 2-3 game discs in it, it'd be cool if it was a crap ton of hours of game-play like Final Fantasy 13. We rarely see those games that have 3 or 4 discs in them anymore unless it is the Final Fantasy series but would you like something like this for Dragon Ball? I thought about if it'd be good to cover the OG DB in one game, DBZ in the sequel, Super in the next etc.. but I don't think DB would sell well on its own. You could also have an arc of "What Ifs" like Dragon Ball Heroes. What do you guys think? I'd shell out 60-100 for a collectors edition of this. Of course all characters would be present up to the current material. Also I'd have a DB Fusions type of deal in the sequel to fuse any character together to give you a reason to buy it. I also wouldn't have each saga clear-able in about 20 minutes, I'd really drag it out.

I feel like this would be the ultimate Dragon Ball game and it'll never be done like the Kanzenban because they like releasing bits at a time and milking it for everything its worth.

I haven't played Xenoverse 2 yet, but it's sad that we get cheap yearly releases, I think even Ubisoft realized that with Assassins Creed. Bethesda, Rockstar, and CD Projekt are the only ones that really develop a game for years anymore, aside from Capcom and Square-Enix.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Would you like a Dragon Ball game covering the complete series?

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:20 pm

Hell, yeah. I've been praying for game like this for what seems like an eternity. But it will ultimately never happen because the Dragon Ball videogame franchise has never had a AAA game quality budget to work with. It has niche audience, and as such, isn't given the same amount of money or development time to work with because it has a specific market its aimed towards, so there's never a guarantee it will make back tens of millions of dollars like other big name videogame franchises do.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:19 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Hell, yeah. I've been praying for game like this for what seems like an eternity. But it will ultimately never happen because the Dragon Ball videogame franchise has never had a AAA game quality budget to work with. It has niche audience, and as such, isn't given the same amount of money or development time to work with because it has a specific market its aimed towards, so there's never a guarantee it will make back tens of millions of dollars like other big name videogame franchises do.
Hopefully the Xenoverse franchise helps garner a bigger budget for this to happen one day :)

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Hell, yeah. I've been praying for game like this for what seems like an eternity. But it will ultimately never happen because the Dragon Ball videogame franchise has never had a AAA game quality budget to work with. It has niche audience, and as such, isn't given the same amount of money or development time to work with because it has a specific market its aimed towards, so there's never a guarantee it will make back tens of millions of dollars like other big name videogame franchises do.
I agree with what ypu said 100%. The reality is its a risk...but as they say...if you build it they will come.

Make a top notch game and in this day of media you will get sales.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:50 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:Make a top notch game and in this day of media you will get sales.
Titanfall 2 disagrees. :(

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:Make a top notch game and in this day of media you will get sales.
Titanfall 2 disagrees. :(
True, I'm sure there are great games with bad sales too. Generally though.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:24 am

if i get another dragon ball game focusing on redoing the saga's, I'll stream my suicide

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:37 am

I think the Xenoverse series (as well as Dragon Ball Fusions) has the skeleton of what I thought of long ago. I though of a 3D Dragon Ball RPG back DBZ Sagas was first reported as such before it was turned into a platform game, that you could either reenact the entire franchise or make decisions to alter it (such as making decisions that lead into the movie timelines or, now, DBGT) You could defeat foes and add them to your team and you could have them learn moves they previously were not ever shown to have (like Frieza learning the Kaioken).
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:57 pm

I've actually thinking they could release games episodically but they are absolutely packed with content and the fighting engine is perfected in thr first game, allowing thrm to easily add characters in the future. I think the storm games mostly did this minus thr perfect fighting engine, it was just ok. Each game builds upon the last and nothing is removed. Stages, story and characters all carry through. Maybe some what ifs or alternate paths for the story you alresdy played to keep it fresh or you can elect to skip it. Characters would have customisable move sets that get added to over time. Some charters eill also have basic moveset versions so frieza saga goku can have a different moveset.

Dragon ball would be dlc split across the games.

So like

Dragon Ball Z Ultimate: origins - story goes from raditz to end of frieza and covers like the first 4 movies and bardock. Obviously useless filler is removed. Youve got basically every relevant character ever fighting in these games. Dlc covers up to the end of pilaf saga.

Cell saga - goes through cell saga and up to movie 9. Also history of trunks and episode of bardock. Dlc covers till end of red ribbon arc.

Buu saga - goes though buu and the rest of the movies. Also yo son goku and friends, battle of gods ans resurrection f. Dlc covers 22nd tenkaichi.

Gt - covers all of GT and the special. Dlc covers king piccolo.

Super - might be done by the hypothetical time this comes out. Skips the retellings as goes through all the new content. Dragon ball dlc ends after the 23rd tournament and cmpletes that saga.

Yeah theres a lot of waiting but i think it would be an awesome series.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Hells yeah. It's truly depressing that they haven't done it yet.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:07 pm

I would prefer to have a game with the same premise (extremely long and content packed) but based on a new story entirely based on a what-if/multiple what-if scenarios. But a very good gameplay and combat mechanics would be a must. Xenoverse is almost going into this direction so it has potential.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:46 pm

Would I like a Dragon Ball game covering the complete series? Yes.

Because it has never been done before, and I can envision it now.

Imagine buying that game, on XBOX One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Steam, or whatever the hell the next gen will be, sitting down to play it, and beginning with the opening moments of Dragon Ball Minus (Bardock on the alien planet with another Saiyan Warrior), and then navigating through space and the decision you make determines where you go. If you land in the outskirts, you can meet Gine and Kakarot departs Planet Vegeta there, or if you land in the city, you can meet with Bardock's Elite and travel to Planet Kanassa and follow on from there.

Later, Bardock transforms into a Super Saiyan and fights Chilled, before the narrative shifts. Grandpa Gohan finds Kakarot in the woods surrounding Mount Paozu, and then The Adventure Begins (see what I did there?)

Travel the world with Bulma and collect the Dragon Ball's, meeting Yamcha and Puar, Oolong, and Master Roshi along the way. Stop Pilaf from having his wish granted (thank you, Oolong), and then travel the world back to Master Roshi for training, and eventually entering the Tenkaichi Budokai.

(and so on...)

Every battle, every journey, every arc, every character, every costume, every combo or technique.

Certain decisions you do trigger a split in the timeline where you take on the movie villains (aside from Garlic Jr [Dead Zone - pre-DBZ], Broly [The Legendary Super Saiyan, only playable if triggered by observing Broly's crib by Bardock on Vegeta before Bardock leaves for Planet Meat. Would later allow Second Coming and Bio-Broly to be playable as side events], Hatchiyak [Plan to Eradicate the [Super] Saiyan's, if Cooler, Freeza, Lord Slug, and Turles are all defeated prior to the Cell Games and wouldn't be available on the first play through], Bojack [Bojack Unbound just fits too seemlessly into the timeline], and Hirudegarn [see Bojack]; which can fit into the timeline when certain triggers or events take place through previous events in the game)

For example;

1. If Goku can make it back to the check-in station in enough time, he would arrive back on Earth with time enough so that nobody dies against Nappa and Vegeta, Nappa and Vegeta are killed, and then the events of The World's Strongest, Tree of Might, and Lord Slug take place followed by the end credits. You can then pick up from when the split occurred and can continue onwards true to story.

2. If Dr Gero is found in the mountains after he escapes against Super Saiyan Vegeta, but then escapes again, awakens the Android's, and then #17 and #18 are stopped; the events of The Return of Cooler and Super Android #13 take place. End credits.

3. If the Broly films are played, then Gohan could defeat Super Buu and then Fusion Reborn would take place instead of the rest of the Buu Saga. End credits.

And that's just Dragon Ball Z - not even including the Dragon Ball movies, or A Hero's Legacy. A certain decision (not yet determined) would trigger the events of Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return, Battle of Gods, and Resurrection 'F' as opposed to Dragon Ball Super, but these events would then be followed (and to a degree, intermixed with the events of) Toyotaro's manga adaptation.

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman would be playable by speaking to Jaco and a flashback perhaps?

Essentially, we would be looking at: Dragon Ball Minus / Bardock: The Father of Goku -> Dragon Ball -> Dragon Ball Z -> Dragon Ball Super -> Dragon Ball GT

People claim "oh, that's too much! That would take ages to complete!"; but at the end of the day - it would be no different than the hours people would pour into Final Fantasy games, and people would play it. The whole franchise, in one game.

Over 100 hours of enjoyment from the straight storymode alone (never mind sidequests). It would be...

The Most Comprehensive Dragon Ball (franchise) Video Game ever made.

(with a completely open-world sandbox (see: GTA), with environment interactions and exploration found in Assassin's Creed or NARUTO Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2, with combat a mixture of Xenoverse 2 and Budokai 3, and capped off with adventure, exploration, RPG, and fighting elements)