In Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2, what is the story behind the game and was it ever released in America?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

In Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2, what is the story behind the game and was it ever released in America?

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:04 pm

Also what else is different between the main-story and Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: In Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2, what is the story behind the game and was it ever released in America?

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:17 am

I don't know if there is english patched rom, but the story overall is this (courtes of DB Wiki):

[spoiler]In the Story Mode, the player can control Gohan, Future Trunks, Vegeta, or Piccolo. It follows different branches of the story depending on the player's decisions, victories, and loss.

The first story in the mode is "Fear! The Cell Games". The Z Fighters are training for the Cell Games and the player must choose a sparring partner for his or her character: Goku or one of the other playable characters in the mode. The story then follows the Cell Games, including Mr. Satan's appearance, Cell self destructing and coming back. Gohan uses the Father-Son Kamehameha if the player does not defeat Cell during their second confrontation.

The "Resurrection! Galaxy Warrior" story is unlocked after Cell's defeat. The Galaxy Soldiers Bojack and Zangya arrive on Earth and try to get the Dragon Balls. They trick the Z Fighters into fighting each other with evil clones of Gohan, Future Trunks, Vegeta, or Piccolo. In the "Sudden shock ! Duel" branch, Bojack and Zangya use gigantic machines to spread the Destron Gas on Earth, and use the Cell Juniors as henchmen. If the Z Fighters fail to defeat Bojack, Broly will appear and kill him, thus ending the Story Mode.

If the player completes certain tasks during the Story Mode (only on difficulty levels 3 or 4), the "Legendary Super Saiyan?" story will be unlocked. Broly arrives on Earth in order to find Kakarot (Goku, who has been killed during the "Cell Games" story), and attacks the Z Fighters.[/spoiler]

I played the game a lot as a kid, as I loved the story. But never knew for a long time, what is actually happening. Yeah, there was Bojack and Zangya and they had this, what I thought was their palace/spaceship and it was years later, that I read somewhere that it was Destron Gas Machine.
Appearently, the story goes as usual Cell Games arc, with few gameplay tweaks and then the next arc is mix of Movies 9 and 10 (Don't know, how much in development was the 10th movie during the game's development. The game was released 4 months earlier, so it's probably Movie 8 with Brolli).
+ Destron Gas machine from Plan to Destroy Saiyans and classic motive for Bojack and Zangya - get the dragon balls.

Brolli's intro animation is rather weird and what always bothered me, that they haven't used larger aura sprite for him, but the standard one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcXR4IFJ0bc
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: In Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2, what is the story behind the game and was it ever released in America?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:43 pm

This game was rereleased in North America on the 3DS virtual console from what I can remember. We never got a English release on the SNES given that DBZ was not release in the US until 1996. The SNES was pretty much dead by the time when DBZ was becoming popular with the main US audience.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:This game was rereleased in North America on the 3DS virtual console from what I can remember. We never got a English release on the SNES given that DBZ was not release in the US until 1996. The SNES was pretty much dead by the time when DBZ was becoming popular with the main US audience.
Is the game on 3DS subtitled in english?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:00 am

sangofe wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:This game was rereleased in North America on the 3DS virtual console from what I can remember. We never got a English release on the SNES given that DBZ was not release in the US until 1996. The SNES was pretty much dead by the time when DBZ was becoming popular with the main US audience.
Is the game on 3DS subtitled in english?
It's untranslated.