What is the Xenoverse series equivalent to?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: What is the Xenoverse series equivalent to?

Post by Doctor. » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
simtek34 wrote: Why do you say that? I really don't see the resemblance.
It's that one series that's complete garbage but somehow keeps getting praised as the savior and pinnacle of the franchise for some reason.
Not a fan of Xenoverse, I'm assuming? :P
Oh, no, it was fun. It's just a complete and utter mess in terms of game design, plot, localization and any aspect you want to find.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote: It's that one series that's complete garbage but somehow keeps getting praised as the savior and pinnacle of the franchise for some reason.
Not a fan of Xenoverse, I'm assuming? :P
Oh, no, it was fun. It's just a complete and utter mess in terms of game design, plot, localization and any aspect you want to find.
Hahaha. :lol:

I love how you're like: "Yeah, the game is fun... but it sucks in department where it matters." :P

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:09 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Not a fan of Xenoverse, I'm assuming? :P

I love how you're like: "Yeah, the game is fun... but it sucks in department where it matters." :P
It's one of those "it's so bad it's fun" kind of games.

Y'know, like Sonic 06.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Oh, no, it was fun. It's just a complete and utter mess in terms of game design, plot, localization and any aspect you want to find.

Y'know, like Sonic 06.
I think Sonic Heroes is a more apt comparison. Sonic 06 was less "so bad it's good" and more, "so bad it's bad."

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:17 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Hahaha. :lol:

Y'know, like Sonic 06.
I think Sonic Heroes is a more apt comparison. Sonic 06 was less "so bad it's good" and more, "so bad it's bad."
I believe you're talking about Sonic Boom... which is "so bad I wanna burn down Sega's fucking headquarters". You can at least laugh at the ridiculous blunders in '06.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:45 pm

The most apt comparison to Xenoverse, is the super smash bro's series. You have a roster with predetermined abilities, and the ability to create your own fighter, choose his fighting style, change his moves, and customize his appearance, there also simple but complex fighting games.

Wonder why nobody thought of this now.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:34 am

Well to be fair to the topic poster I can sort of see some of the parallels between some of the games he mentions.

Even though Super DBZ is essentially a 3D fighter there are elements of Street Fighter in there that go beyond the stuff every fighting game has. For example, you can cancel Normals into Specials into Ultimates. Goku also has a move that is basically a Shoryuken, while Android 17 has a move that strongly resembles Chun Li's Lightning Legs techinque. It might seem superficial but the inspiration is definitely there.

I don't play Virtua Fighter so I can't speak for that, but I've played Tekken online for years and know that there's a pretty steep learning curve (although I personally find Street Fighter even tougher). While Budokai is nowhere near the level of those games in terms of depth, to say that it has no depth whatsoever isn't quite fair. At least if we're talking about Budokai 3 and beyond that is, the first 2 games were great casual fun. Budokai 3 has depth in its cancel combo system, Ki management, knowing when to teleport or dodge or block your opponents strings, learning to counter teleporting, mixing up your cancels with unblockable stuns to throw off your opponents defensive timing, and using the invincible but slow P+K knockback move which I'm pretty sure actually inspired Street Fighter 4's Focus Attack.

I'd say Xenoverse takes elements from Budokai/Shin Budokai/Burst Limit (the teleportation system, light/heavy attacks, and attack names), Tenkaichi (over the shoulder gameplay, free flight, being able to lock on to your enemy, and dash to and dash behind mechanics), Raging Blast (being able to customise move lists), Ultimate Tenkaichi/Dragonball Online (custom characters), and Battle of Z (several characters fighting onscreen at once).

With the XV games it's like they literally looked at every major console DBZ game since 2002 and cherry picked the best elements.